iboost + solic200 do they play nicely together?

Gareth J

iboost + solic200 do they play nicely together?

Post by Gareth J »

iboost claims an export threshold of 200W, solic claims 0W.

In theory, if I clamped them onto the same meter tail, the solic should try to absorb up to its full 3kW immersion, and in the event that I'm generating more than 3kW, or the solic's immersion is full, the iboost should hoover up the rest. But does anyone run this already?

I have both units and was planning to do the same thing but set the solic export threshold at 300W so it covered overspill from the iboost. However, with a bit of creative cable routing (the iboost wireless functionality has saved me from lifting floorboards currently), I should be able to get them work the other way around and sneak an extra 200W.

But I won't go to the hassle if someone's tried it and knows that the two don't play nicely together....
Stinsy

Re: iboost + solic200 do they play nicely together?

Post by Stinsy »

It should in theory work as you assume. Just be prepared to tweak the thresholds to prevent them fighting.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Gareth J

Post by Gareth J »

Indeed, the thing is, I can't alter the threshold of the iboost (I don't think so anyway?) so if they do fight one another, I'll have to put them back the other way and accept 200W export, which is fine and would be a lot easier to achieve (logistics wise) so I was just wondering if it was a combo anyone had tried with success - or failure!
Oliver90owner

Re: iboost + solic200 do they play nicely together

Post by Oliver90owner »

I’m not sure you can do anything with the Solic - not sure but I think it simply turns the appliance fully on if the dip switches positions, other than the normal (zero export), are selected? I don’t think there are dip switches on the newer versions, either.

I do know that two solics together can be a bit feisty. My original used to divert to the immersion before t‘other one did anything, but recently (and I’m not sure why - but “t’other one” stopped working recently and all I did was check the fuse and away it went again) it has taken priority over the immersion one. A bit of a pain, but I can cope with it most of the time, until I can either look at it again (or contact Eathwise if nothing works).

Earthwise have always been helpful when contacted.

Edited to add that thinking about it, it may possibly be down to the extended sensor connection I added recently.
Gareth J

Post by Gareth J »

I've not tried the solic in anything other than standard zero export mode but I'd read it as though, with switches appropriately flipped, it could cap export at a set level 100,200,300W etc. It's listed as an option for off-grid setups where you'd want to assume an arbitrary house load and divert any remainder. Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick, that functionality could be used to alter export threshold. But could be wrong. If I am wrong, I'll have to try them switched around anyway.
Gareth J

Post by Gareth J »

Ok, they appear to work together. But not without some odd behaviour to start with. Had the solic fail to restart properly once and the iboost take control once but, now, with a bit of distance between the CT clamps, they appear to be working as hoped. Fortunately as it's not been a super swift experiment.

Solic does it's thing and takes the first bite up to 3kW
Iboost hoovers up anything (minus its 200W threshold) extra.

Things I noticed;
-The iboost is not that quick to respond - if you set it off merrily diverting with good generation and low house load, then cut power to the solar inverter, it takes a significant amount of time to first gently reduce its power, then more aggressively drop the output. 5-10seconds ish. With no monitor on the solic, can't tell on that so easily.
- They work by modulating voltage (presumably pwn) the output is AC and a varying voltage. Output can be monitored in a basic way by sticking an AC volt meter across the output. Easier than an inline ammeter or CT.
-Theyre both "noisy". When diverting, they induce some odd noises in things. The Fronius inverter is particularly affected.
-I hadn't realised just how much afternoon sun was being exported