Aiko comet panels.

Fintray

Re: Aiko comet panels.

Post by Fintray »

NoraBatty wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:14 am Seems i was right in what i thought. Hybrids do have mppts for input. However the multiplus doesnt and needs charge controllers.
Apologies for the mix up.

This makes things much more interesting and i will be able to ignore the need for optimisers.

How many strings? At least 2.
What Charge controllers? Unsure yet. I now need another day of faffing to see how i can best change things up and take advantage. :head-bang:
Use this https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/so ... c-4_0.xlsm to calculate which charge controller you would need, it allows you to enter the specs of any PV panel and gives you a clear answer if your proposed string size will work.

You could use a maximum of four of those panels in a string using any of the Smartsolar MPPT controllers, the 250/70 would allow you to connect 2 strings (1 x 2 panel and 1 x 3 panel) to it and be within its limits.
Last edited by Fintray on Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Looking at victrons calculator,

I coukd do it with 1 string of 5x 625w panels and a
SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100 & 450/200, but would need optimisers and its very expensive.

It would be better to do
2 strings, 1 string with 3x 625w, 1 string with 2x625W and could get away with SmartSolar MPPT 250/60

However if i am splitting strings up, i can jiggle panels around and have more smaller panels at the top, and larger at the bottom.

Il get back to you all in a day or two.
2.7kw Canadian solar. roof. 3kw solis G98 mcs
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae
Octopus agile/outgoing fixed 15p

Planned;
Hybrid system
43kwh eve batteries, 3x16 280A
6-8+kw solar, DC connected.
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Fintray wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:24 am
NoraBatty wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:14 am Seems i was right in what i thought. Hybrids do have mppts for input. However the multiplus doesnt and needs charge controllers.
Apologies for the mix up.

This makes things much more interesting and i will be able to ignore the need for optimisers.

How many strings? At least 2.
What Charge controllers? Unsure yet. I now need another day of faffing to see how i can best change things up and take advantage. :head-bang:
Use this https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/so ... c-4_0.xlsm to calculate which charge controller you would need, it allows you to enter the specs of any PV panel and gives you a clear answer if your proposed string size will work.
Lol.
Thanks very much Fintray.
I must have been using it as you posted. :hysteria:
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae

Planned;
Hybrid system
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

NoraBatty wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:28 am Looking at victrons calculator,

I coukd do it with 1 string of 5x 625w panels and a
SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100 & 450/200, but would need optimisers and its very expensive.

It would be better to do
2 strings, 1 string with 3x 625w, 1 string with 2x625W and could get away with SmartSolar MPPT 250/60

However if i am splitting strings up, i can jiggle panels around and have more smaller panels at the top, and larger at the bottom.

Il get back to you all in a day or two.
The Smartsolar 450/100 or 200 would be a bit overkill and like you say very expensive.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

It would be overkill for just that string,
However once the current dilapidated shed is replaced, i will have roughly the same sized array possible, so brings it back into play, although equally the shed could also be split into a couple of strings.

I then have other bits in the garden to do with added opportunities for solar.
It requires some more thought and playing with costs 👍
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae

Planned;
Hybrid system
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

NoraBatty wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:47 am It would be overkill for just that string,
However once the current dilapidated shed is replaced, i will have roughly the same sized array possible, so brings it back into play, although equally the shed could also be split into a couple of strings.

I found that 3 panel strings up about the 140v mark worked well at our house for the more niche spots and there can be L shapes in any form too. Shade required depending. A bit more cabling, an mc4 or two but worth it.
19.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

AGT wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:22 am So you could use 10mm screwed rod, resined into 12mm holes the rod long enough to give you the bottom dimension out- say 200mm and the top rail fixed direct with screws/ penny washers?
Something like that. Resin fixings for sure whatever route as i dont trust expansion bolts as much, especially if i have to drill into the stone not concrete.
Maybe rod with a sleeve on to hold the bottom mounting backet out, instead of doubling up a nut to hold the strut out. Not a scaffold tube as its far too big, but something smaller diameter. I have some stainless tube knocking around with a thick diameter wall. Galvanised conduit pipe maybe.

Maybe a wedge or a stand off bracket instead, so the unistrut can sit at 90° and the bottom of the panel can slot into the unistrut. Dimensions dependant of course.
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae

Planned;
Hybrid system
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:17 pm
NoraBatty wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:47 am It would be overkill for just that string,

I found that 3 panel strings up about the 140v mark worked well at our house for the more niche spots and there can be L shapes in any form too. Shade required depending. A bit more cabling, an mc4 or two but worth it.
Thanks Joe. I may have to extend the mounting area in the energy shed for everything i can fit in and plan, but plenty of time to do so.
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae

Planned;
Hybrid system
AlBargey

Post by AlBargey »

Victron MPPT manuals all say do not use optimisers, optimisers like the Tigo have their own form of internal MPPT that messes with the Victron MPPT, if shading was really a big concern maybe multiple smaller MPPT's for just a couple of panels each is a better option.

Otherwise the EasySolar or Multi RS Solar are more similar to an all in one (AIO), but for just a few panels I'd prefer the EasySolar if there wasn't much shading and the built in MPPT worked for your setup, or separate inverter and dedicated MPPT's.
38m Barge, Solar (10.6 kWp), 26 kWh of LFP, Victron Quattro 8 kVA, CerboGX, 3,500L STP, 57kVa Perkins
Our live data: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installat ... e/c76c4bf6
NoraBatty

Post by NoraBatty »

Thanks Albargey,
It is good to know opyimisers arent recommended.
kind of a moot point now though, given i thought the multiplus had its own mppts and the issue is only for the bottom 3 panels.
If they have to go on 2 strings, then it completely does away with the need to optimise them.
The shaded ones will just be shaded and reduced output as and when, and the others will be on a different string, completely unaffected.
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae

Planned;
Hybrid system