Is there a schematic for the Immersun PV diverter? I need to replace 2 capacitors

CptChronic

Re: Is there a schematic for the Immersun PV diverter? I need to replace 2 capacitors

Post by CptChronic »

🤣🤣 I don't know the history but it sounds like I missed out on some drama haha

The wayback machine is brilliant, it basically does a save of pretty much every website at certain dates so if anything gets deleted you can always go there in the hope it's in the save. I just completed a big coding job, there was no data on what I needed to learn as it was all posted back in 2009 but using the wayback machine I managed to find the help I needed to get it finished
Tinbum

Re: Is there a schematic for the Immersun PV diverter? I need to replace 2 capacitors

Post by Tinbum »

I have a copy of that place that runs to nearly 3Gb but I've yet to find a way to make it searchable. I've not looked into it that hard but search terms don't seem to show up in programs like 'Everything'
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
SimonSays

Post by SimonSays »

I just bought a "for parts" Immersun from ebay due to long lead times on Eddi, as a bit of a project. I used to repair switched mode PSUs, though I no longer have much bench equipment. The damage on my Immersun looks identical to Cpt's, but mine has at least three destroyed IGBTs and an exploded varistor for added fun. I'll start to make a schematic over the next few days unless one can be found.
Last edited by SimonSays on Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

CptChronic wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:16 pm Hi guys,
I need to replace 2 capacitors from my immersun solar PV, an IGBT has blown and took 2 of the caps with it. I'm just not sure which voltage rating to get as they're on the emitter side and it's max output is 600v. Struggling to get hold of 1kv capacitors so I'm wondering if I can get away with 250v instead. I've already replaced the IGBT and repaired the traces
Thanks
I showed this to my electronics friend and he said
I think I would prefer a version with through hole components for ease of maintenance.
I would look at replacing the driver chip etc and probably other components for reliability but I suppose it depends on the cost of a new unit vs the cost of repairs.
so not really much help this time, I'm afraid.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Found my notes on the immersun V2.5 repair - re-posted in the repair, renovate, recycle section although it does seem to be a bit of a backwater - not many posts in there.

Hope it helps
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH
SimonSays

Post by SimonSays »

Thanks for posting the parts listings. My Immersun has completely toasted high side driver components and I was having difficulty identifying these.
Unfortunately I've realised I no longer have the skills to repair my Immersun so I'll offer it out to forum members for the cost of postage and join the queue for an Eddi.
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

Hello Simon
I would like an attemt at repair.

My Email address is

alan.downing@homecall.co.uk

Best Regards
Alan Downing
SimonSays

Post by SimonSays »

Email sent
Deej01

Post by Deej01 »

Hi

New to the forum.

I have an immersun with the same issues, does anyone know the equivalent IGBT's as the originals are obsolete.

Many thanks
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Hmm, good question.

What igbts are in your immersun?

Looking at the ones i ordered (FGH40T65SQD) they do appear to be discontinued; I think someone else here ordered FGH40T65SHD but they seem to be unavailable too.

Looking at Mouser they do have FGH40T65HDF which has a lower saturation voltage and higher pulse current rating than the SQD variant but might be slower and less suitable to judge by the suggested applications (resonant and soft switching rather than solar inverter, ups, pfc suggested for the SQD and SHD), although rise/fall times and collector capacitance don't seem bad.

Digikey have an SPD variant which like the SQD is suitable for fast switching applications like solar inverters, but has a slightly higher saturation voltage which may make it run hotter.

If it were me i might try the SPD devices above, or spend some time looking for something with similar/better specs, but i don't know of a quick way of comparing devices sorry.
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH