Installation of PV on Corrugated Asbestos Roof ??

Adokforme

Re: Installation of PV on Corrugated Asbestos Roof ??

Post by Adokforme »

Thanks again Guys for further thoughts, it's great having the benefit of your experiences when addressing such issues.
I don't know if he would have access here but as it contains so much info I've sent him a link. He has a Pv array, storage & an A2Ahp plus a few shares in WT1 & WT2 although precious time otherwise to engage in general chat. Even with me! :D
The decision whether or not to proceed with a bid to purchase will be entirely their's. Premises around here have been so difficult to come by in recent years with rediculous values placed upon many.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Swwils wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:54 am Why are you improving the value of a building you don't own? You'll just pay more rent for your own improvements at the very best
Try reading post #11
Have you never funded anything that will principally benefit the next generation?
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

If you have a small business you do not want to be onboarding any roofing liabilities or risks. With the solar installed a simple leak can become an issue since it's additional complexity to get sorted. This significantly effects the value of the unit since you now have a greater risk of impact on income it will pull in. This is in contrast to a residential purchase where you value utility and it's a classic pitfall where additional costs haven't been factored into the purchase.

Usually as a small business the lower setup costs of a rental liability are more attractive than a more complex transaction that ends up with an asset that potentially you owe on.

Solar benefiting the next generation is quite a tall order. Arguably the expense of the solar could be spent more impactfully on other things to achieve that purpose.

Don't get me wrong, I like solar. I have solar both residential and commercial. But I don't claim it to be environmentally sound nor benefiting anyone other than myself. The panels were made abroad, from minerals mined in aggressive conditions utilising diesel fuel that the energy they make will never replace. They will make a little bit of intermittent energy for me to selfishly offset a high grid energy price and then not be recycled in any meaningful way.

Arguably it's even worse for the next generation since it has a strange effect where we think it is more "sound" than lower energy costs for everyone and hence takes the onus away from further investment in valuable energy.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Swwils wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:24 pm But I don't claim it to be environmentally sound nor benefiting anyone other than myself. The panels were made abroad, from minerals mined in aggressive conditions utilising diesel fuel that the energy they make will never replace. They will make a little bit of intermittent energy for me to selfishly offset a high grid energy price and then not be recycled in any meaningful way.

Arguably it's even worse for the next generation since it has a strange effect where we think it is more "sound" than lower energy costs for everyone and hence takes the onus away from further investment in valuable energy.
What a miserable outlook. 😪
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
smegal

Post by smegal »

Joeboy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:13 pm
Swwils wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:24 pm But I don't claim it to be environmentally sound nor benefiting anyone other than myself. The panels were made abroad, from minerals mined in aggressive conditions utilising diesel fuel that the energy they make will never replace. They will make a little bit of intermittent energy for me to selfishly offset a high grid energy price and then not be recycled in any meaningful way.

Also factually incorrect on energy return on energy invested!
nowty

Post by nowty »

smegal wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:49 pm
Joeboy wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:13 pm

Also factually incorrect on energy return on energy invested!
Yes, takes about 3 years which is quite a few years less than "never", most of mine are over a decade old now. We used to have a thread on this at St Elsewhere and it was examined to death.
https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/solar-p ... y-are-they
16.9kW PV > 104MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

I actually have a very positive and hopeful outlook, especially with many EU countries waking up the the generation need and Germany swinging around to nuclear again - of course a panel will re-coup a carbon cost quickly when your grid is on coal or gas.

But that's not within the criteria of "for future generations" - where arguably burning cheap coal would be beneficial social-economically; especially when solar is so low CF in the UK. Other places it's far more compelling,.other places less so because they already decarbonised electric.

I just *don't* have my hopes completely pinned for zero carbon on better power electronics, storage and solar when we need to simultaneously look after the lil guy, I believe access to energy is that fundamental and the end point scale makes it a big technical leap, if it can ever be done.