Shedhenge

spread-tee

Re: Shedhenge

Post by spread-tee »

Hallo chaps, haven’t heard anything from Bimble yet and it could be some while before we do, so Mrs Desp asked why don’t we just get one of their hybrid kits and have done with it??
Well who am I to argue? Especially as finding all the second hand bits could take a while and meanwhile energy costs keep climbing.

So as this is pretty close to the edge of my comfort zone and a lot of you are much more clued in than me I would appreciate a bit of feedback to make sure I am not barking up the wrong tree here.

We figure a Solis 3kW hybrid with 2 pylontech 2.4kWhr batts and 3 kW ish of panels would cut our import by about 50% at least, we will also get a 2kW air/air heater/cooler HP to keep MIL warm in the shoulder months when she needs a warmer environ than us thus cutting a big chunk off the gas import. The solar thermal will stay as it provides oodles of DHW and we don’t really need the roof space, if the batts are charged and we have spare leccy I am happy to export whatever.
Also an EV may be on the cards in a couple of years.

So my questions are, is the kit from Bimble basically plug and play? I get that a bunch of hardware and cables, switches, etc are needed as well but I assume the batteries connect to the inverter, as do the panels, and then it is plugged into the mains??

If I start with just two batteries can they be added to at a later date?

Do all the panels on one string need to be in the same orientation pretty much or is there a bit of leeway? And finally for now what would be the best way to charge the EV bearing in mind that it will sit at home during the day for most of its life?

Ta very much

Desp
Blah blah blah
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

https://www.bimblesolar.com/ongrid/hybrid
Like this?
Who is going to do the install?
It's all pretty much standard stuff but you need to be competent and know what you are doing so it's a safe install. Don't want to damage the new gear either. It's a 25+ yr lifespan so best to do it right on that initial day.

Yes you can expand battery system later. We started with 2, ended up with 6!

If I was you I'd shop around for an installer first who will work with you and see what they come up with price wise to match bimble system prices.

Each string will default to the lowest performing panel on the string. Orientation doesn't matter so much over a few degs, shading does. It might be worth splitting the strings depending on your scenario. Four instead of two?

I charge the EV slowly through the day depending on solar and if need a big charge I do it at night on the Octopus Go Faster tarriff 5 hour cheap rate.

P.S 3kW of panels is quite small. Not saying it won't be mighty depending on location but most people with hindsight wish they had installed more. Keeps costs down getting it all in early and it's producing max from day 1.
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Thanks Joe, I may pick your brains a bit further, :D

That is exactly the kit we have looked at, our trade sparks suppliers don't seem able to better these prices at all TBH.
I will be installing with the help of one of the guys who works for us, he is fully 18th edition NIC registered so we should be compliant and safe.
Shading wont ge an issue but the alignment might be slightly skewed, and we will in addition keep the 540W system on the shed taking us close to the 3.6kW limit. I am glad future expansion is possible, I think it would be good to have a couple of days storage to tide us over, we use about 8kWhrs a day at present and Bimble will struggle to supply them all in one go apparently.

Thanks again.

Desp
Blah blah blah
nowty

Post by nowty »

With your current usage it sounds fine, but with the anticipated air to air HP, I'd be tempted to replace what you have with 4 to 5kw of panels on a 3.6kW hybrid inverter and stretch to the 3rd battery to give you the max power output, cos they are current limited on one or two of those 2.4kWh Pylontechs.

Of course that's subject to you having the space.
16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:16 pm With your current usage it sounds fine, but with the anticipated air to air HP, I'd be tempted to replace what you have with 4 to 5kw of panels on a 3.6kW hybrid inverter and stretch to the 3rd battery to give you the max power output, cos they are current limited on one or two of those 2.4kWh Pylontechs.

Of course that's subject to you having the space.
Something like this? Just add required panels.
https://www.bimblesolar.com/ongrid/hybr ... ylon-7-kit
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Thanks for that Gents,

it's funny how an inkling of an idea takes flight and grows ending up an order of magnitude larger.
I'm gonna cogitate for a bit but you are right if we are gonna do this it may as well be a one time get it done job.

Many thanks,

Desp
Blah blah blah
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

spread-tee wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:11 pm Thanks for that Gents,

it's funny how an inkling of an idea takes flight and grows ending up an order of magnitude larger.
I'm gonna cogitate for a bit but you are right if we are gonna do this it may as well be a one time get it done job.

Many thanks,

Desp
I can say from personal experience that by stringing (hah) it out, my second system cost me £400 more than it should have in shipping costs. That is in itself a 6th string of 3 panels gone ... :o
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

This is your fault Nowty, Joe and Stinsy are in on it too..........

you see you lot gave me the confidence to open up the wallet and embark on yet another round of shennanigans at cactusville..........thanks :D

Desp0
Blah blah blah
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

That little lot was delivered just before we went to the fessie so it had to wait a week but now it looks like this.....

much improved on this temporary set up

I know I should have installed the generation first but we do have to look after Mrs Desps aged mum who struggled quite a bit during the 40 degree heat, that's my excuse anyway.

I am almost ready to order a load of stuff from Bimble but will have a couple of questions for you first if you would oblige.

TTFN

Desp
Blah blah blah
nowty

Post by nowty »

Like it ! :mrgreen:

Of course, I'm sure it was installed by an FGas approved engineer. ;)

Working OK for you ?
16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3