Balcony solar PV

Joeboy

Re: Balcony solar PV

Post by Joeboy »

richbee wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:08 am
Joeboy wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:43 am Had a quick count. This is my 9th microinverter bought. Six secondhand (one of which doesn't like the grid here, the other five are working now in Scotland). Of the three bought new, one blew up on its second power up and was binned (lesson learned, WMC Chinese maker is shite). I particularly like the style of these Rinky dinky Hoymiles 350's (also Chinese and very much not shite).. Other than the troublesome app access but that is due to UK rules and is literally just a software block).

Only does one thing. Can series link a few smaller panels into it. Hopefully has app access. It does have app access but I've not seen it running yet here in Turkey since it's in transit to Scotland.

I think there's something very cool about these units. Very open to older, smaller panel series hookup in tight space, maybe multiple orientation. Yet will get the job done quietly with no fuss.

None of them, not even the Chinese shite would output power without a grid connection.
I'm guessing you haven't come up with a cunning plan about the app access yet? Can you get access in Turkey?
I don't know, I think I'll be able to see data from dtu on the HMS 350 through the app toolkit page. That's what I do at home for No1's set up. I did manage to log into hoymiles account from here so that's hopeful!

I'm seeing 34 to 37.2V so far. Whatever it produces as a system won't be much but should take care of background load....? He hoped with great optimism!

The 5V wee system is still getting it done. :D

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
richbee

Post by richbee »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:49 am
richbee wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:08 am
Joeboy wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:43 am Had a quick count. This is my 9th microinverter bought. Six secondhand (one of which doesn't like the grid here, the other five are working now in Scotland). Of the three bought new, one blew up on its second power up and was binned (lesson learned, WMC Chinese maker is shite). I particularly like the style of these Rinky dinky Hoymiles 350's (also Chinese and very much not shite).. Other than the troublesome app access but that is due to UK rules and is literally just a software block).

Only does one thing. Can series link a few smaller panels into it. Hopefully has app access. It does have app access but I've not seen it running yet here in Turkey since it's in transit to Scotland.

I think there's something very cool about these units. Very open to older, smaller panel series hookup in tight space, maybe multiple orientation. Yet will get the job done quietly with no fuss.

None of them, not even the Chinese shite would output power without a grid connection.
I'm guessing you haven't come up with a cunning plan about the app access yet? Can you get access in Turkey?
I don't know, I think I'll be able to see data from dtu on the HMS 350 through the app toolkit page. That's what I do at home for No1's set up. I did manage to log into hoymiles account from here so that's hopeful!

I'm seeing 34 to 37.2V so far. Whatever it produces as a system won't be much but should take care of background load....? He hoped with great optimism!

The 5V wee system is still getting it done. :D

Looking good!

Can I just confirm what you did to access the app on your DTU:
Purchased in Holland, and had to connect the DTU to the internet while you were there and create an account / log into the app.
Once you were home, you could then connect the microinverter to the DTU account?

I'm in Poland again next week, wondering if I could get one there and do the same as you have done
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
chris_n

Post by chris_n »

If you desperately wanted access you could probably run a dedicated router with VPN capability to provide the WiFi for the unit and the device you want to run the app on.
Living the dream in Austria.
Uk property 3.75kW PV linked to 3kW inverter.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I set up an account with Hoymiles while overseas, registered the inverter serial.no while there That worked for a few weeks. Then it didn't but I can still access date via microinverter dtu when in close range to the micro itself via the app.

Just like Victron smart solar within Bluetooth range.

I'll know more in Oct when I add the new micro to my account while out here. I'll do a cable test at home with a DC clamp.to.prove operation. If it fails to kick in out here then it must be an unstable grid frequency but I know what that sounds like and I don't think it's that.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

chris_n wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:34 pm If you desperately wanted access you could probably run a dedicated router with VPN capability to provide the WiFi for the unit and the device you want to run the app on.
I'm pretty sure someone tried that on here? No joy.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
richbee

Post by richbee »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:35 pm I set up an account with Hoymiles while overseas, registered the inverter serial.no while there That worked for a few weeks. Then it didn't but I can still access date via microinverter dtu when in close range to the micro itself via the app.

I'll know more in Oct when I add the new micro to my account while out here. I'll do a cable test at home with a DC clamp.to.prove operation. If it fails to kick in out here then it must be an unstable grid frequency but I know what that sounds like and I don't think it's that.
OK, so it's creating the account and registering the inverter (+ the DTU?) while you are abroad that matters? You don't have to physically have the units(s) with you?

I would like to be able to get the detailed output data access in an ideal world, but I do have a limited data info via my power meter currently.

I'd be more interested to access the inverter settings and see if I can increase the max allowed grid voltage by a couple of volts to avoid shutting down when the main system exports and goes over 253V.
It still sounds slightly flaky if you can only access while physically close to the unit (is that the DTU close to the inverter, or just that your phone accessing the app is close to the DTU?)

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to work out If I should bother with a DTU, need to be reasonably sure that I will be able to do something useful with it
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

richbee wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:27 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:35 pm I set up an account with Hoymiles while overseas, registered the inverter serial.no while there That worked for a few weeks. Then it didn't but I can still access date via microinverter dtu when in close range to the micro itself via the app.

OK, so it's creating the account and registering the inverter (+ the DTU?) while you are abroad that matters? You don't have to physically have the units(s) with you?

I would like to be able to get the detailed output data access in an ideal world, but I do have a limited data info via my power meter currently.

I'd be more interested to access the inverter settings and see if I can increase the max allowed grid voltage by a couple of volts to avoid shutting down when the main system exports and goes over 253V.
It still sounds slightly flaky if you can only access while physically close to the unit (is that the DTU close to the inverter, or just that your phone accessing the app is close to the DTU?)

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to work out If I should bother with a DTU, need to be reasonably sure that I will be able to do something useful with it
You need the unit serial.no and be abroad in a qualifying country when you register it. The dtu is the term used by the app. I.e "connect to dtu". It's actually the built in WiFi module you are connecting to which can muddy the waters a little as separate dtu's can be bought. As to the rest, sorry. Not knowing.

I hope this makes sense?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

A easy way to explain it is that Hoymiles have region locked the app. Trickery doesn't work. You can easily register in a qualifying country on your phone. Take photos of every ID no on your micro before flying.

You'll come back, have some leeway then the software will clock your region and play silly buggers. But you'll still be able to log into the micro itself within short range but not over true WiFi network.

The micro will show up on your phone as a WiFi access point (that's the dtu bit) but it felt more like Bluetooth to me. As to accessing the greater app network? Not poss at this time in UK but you can see 30 day, total and daily generation.

I hope this helps?

It's a burst arse way to operate but it's the price we pay for trying to be ahead of the curve on a burst arse parochial island. :D

On the upside, it's clean power, it works. It's just not the seamless online accessibility we've grown used to having.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
richbee

Post by richbee »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:37 pm

You need the unit serial.no and be abroad in a qualifying country when you register it. The dtu is the term used by the app. I.e "connect to dtu". It's actually the built in WiFi module you are connecting to which can muddy the waters a little as separate dtu's can be bought. As to the rest, sorry. Not knowing.

I hope this makes sense?
Thanks - makes sense. I thought you had to have a separate DTU in order to use the app - I didn't realise you could connect a single microinverter to the app ion its own
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

richbee wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:39 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:37 pm

I hope this makes sense?
Thanks - makes sense. I thought you had to have a separate DTU in order to use the app - I didn't realise you could connect a single microinverter to the app ion its own
Glad to help. I'll know more in Oct.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs