Solar at my workplace

dan_b

Re: Solar at my workplace

Post by dan_b »

That was with a combination of the green screen studio in use for a couple of hours, and charging up 1x EV - I'd limited the charging power to 4kW on the car so that it didn't go too far into importing - seemed to work well.

It's the weekends when we're not really doing anything here when we're going to see a lot of export I guess - but with the Panel Power export tariff I think that might still be ok vs. the capital cost of buying a pretty large battery. We'll see! Fun to keep an eye on.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Dan quick question, how many units rou d there are (from an outside perspective) on that industrial estate? similar to yours & what you/ your firm have done? & how much would it reduce localised grid if done in multiples as a guesstimate?

Are you dropping data in the councils lap to push them any?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

It's just our unit - oddly enough our building is set back from the road in what is otherwise a residential street. Perfect for our needs as it's super quiet.
There are only a smattering of domestic properties with SolarPV on them here. A couple of crap newbuilds with minimal panels, and a couple of retrofits, but nothing much else really.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I guess a business park with loads of solar is the DNO's worst nightmare!

All good in the week, lots of daytime consumption to match the sunshine, particularly all the air-conditioned offices. However at weekends it is precious-little consumption and full beans generation!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Like I said before the business can re-invest in technology and development or pay corporation tax, Dan and his colleagues will know if they have excess investment capability this year and if so then a small battery would make much more sense than paying the taxman 25% or am I missing something ?

Moxi
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

DNO are going to have to accept (should have already in reality with Ukraine) that renewables were on the considerable up anyway & are now a way of survival in energy uncertainty, there's enough "big jobs" engineering firms going bust to employ a bunch more groundworkers...

You would have thought that the govt would have already acknowledged & planned ahead (a years invasion anniversary has passed after all) within cobra meetings & that they'd be cracking the whip for additional hook ups & upgrades for projects already within the system as well as homing in on upgrades with trading park owners regionally.

If this time shifting is ever to be in comfortably nationwide then I'd like to know beyond experimentation how a 3 year & 5 year upgrades & population increase are factored in given that getting to the frequent experimental stage running now via octopus et al, they should have that covered long before now as these schemes are not merely cooked up overnight.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

You would have thought that the govt would have already acknowledged & planned ahead
Would you? They seem to be absolutely paralysed and (worse than that) deeply in hock to vested interests. Nothing about storage or the grid charges hurdle which is stopping any development in the "budget."
See https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 428#p30428
my fear is that none of these will actually go ahead due to the network/grid rules. Don't forget

But both Drax and SSE have been reluctant to press ahead without assurances from Whitehall.
"SSE needs clarity around how the UK government is going to support projects like Coire Glas," Mr McCutcheon explained.

The only thing I can see which side-steps the problem is storage co-located with generation. Pumped storage is predominantly balanced in-out so paying grid fees in both directions makes it a non-starter.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

I meant, any competent, caring intrinsically honest govt with their eye on the ball to their own election promises, common sense etc..

Thus i'm aghast that they can simply fiddle whilst rome burns (but the proles'll be warm eh)!?

a "normal" one, which with hindsight this govt DNGAF unless its an old boys reach-around,

The fact that they haven't done this shows how deeply in the sh1t we are unnecessarily via greed & incompetence.

We've already had forecasts of the Nu-russia intent & duration, & transatlantic importation of LNG from america isn't a reasonable persons solution to a long term problem, especially when we are being preached, prodded & poked by govt for what is increasingly looking like "carbon zero bollocks" just as "world leaders" pledge to keep below 1.5c.

I withdraw my consent of compliance to the govt muppets.

So beyond words to the tune of wash hands to the tune of happy birthday as per a blonde donkey in covid times what is the govt doing?

A trading estate that is more or less self generating & self consumption for 6 months of the year mon-fri ..sounds like wonderful progress on what we've got now, at least to me
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Essentially correct. The Superdeduction tax relief on capital investment was a big factor in enabling us to get the solarPV in the first place as was able to hugely shift the needle on RoI. That's now passed, and until we know how much we're exporting over a longer period, it's difficult to make an assessment based on numbers rather than "i'd like to have a battery anyway". And we've also got to invest some cash in the actual productivity side of the business too! I'm just glad we've got this far at the moment to be honest.
Moxi wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:55 pm Like I said before the business can re-invest in technology and development or pay corporation tax, Dan and his colleagues will know if they have excess investment capability this year and if so then a small battery would make much more sense than paying the taxman 25% or am I missing something ?

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Seems reasonable for a DNO to ensure that new homes connected to their area have a small starter battery that the owner can add to if they wish and for business parks and industry the DNO can request some buffer storage to go with any solar installation - that way we, as a country, organically grow the new dispersed resilience Grid that the national grid are indicating they need.

I was involved with a small 45MVA arc furnace a few years back and we installed a static VAR compensation unit to smooth out harmonics and reduce the draw on the local area network when the furnace was starting up and undergoing tap changes so its not really a new concept to the DNO's

Moxi