Installation of PV on Corrugated Asbestos Roof ??

Adokforme

Installation of PV on Corrugated Asbestos Roof ??

Post by Adokforme »

Please forgive the above topic but I've been trawling through past posts upon the matter without success so post here in the hope someone may have come across a similar situation. I appreciate asbestos is toxic stuff once disturbed so may be it's a non starter.

I would appreciate all views upon the matter and especially if anyone has experience in attempting such. Even if it's no, don't be daft! :roll:
Fintray

Re: Installation of PV on Corrugated Asbestos Roof ??

Post by Fintray »

Part of the problem is how to attach fixings through the asbestos, as you don't want to be drilling it. One way could be to remove the existing fixings and use the holes to attach a frame for the PV onto the asbestos.
Ideally use the opportunity to remove the asbestos and replace with something else.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I sealed an asbestos roof on a garage with a fibreglass type epoxy paint and a roller. Was easy to work on then. No drill, no disturb, Iain's idea of using existing through holes and marking up rails is excellent. I'd also solder and heatshrink all the MC4 connectors so that once in.place it's forget about it time.
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

I have a barn roof covered in asbestos that, as soon as I'm able again, I will be removing and re sheeting.

I see asbestos as being more of a problem to remove in the future so easier to get rid of now.

I did one of my barns a number of years ago, about 4.5 tonnes of the stuff disposed of.

The biggest problem I find is eliminating the internal condensation on the roof sheets that forms a lot more readily than on asbestos sheets.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
jonc_uk

Post by jonc_uk »

I have a couple of warehouses built in the early 1970s with asbestos roofs.

When it comes to re-roofing, the just get overclad. New metal perlins are fixed over the top, insulation is sandwiched in and new cladding on top. This is the standard method and can be done on a working building.

The new perlins are fixed with standard self-drilling roofing bolts. I haven't seen it done, but there are no asbestos hazard signs, no clean-down cabin etc. Maybe a bit of a water spray? Next door was done a few months ago.

Having seen the performance of the more modern corrugated cement sheeting, the old asbestos ones are far more robust as they are stronger and less brittle. There are some types of asbestos which are dangerous, but this does not extend to all types. However, they all got tarred with the same brush.

I personally don't see the problem with drilling it. I would do it wet though just to be sure.
Petertc

Post by Petertc »

We used to do lots of fibre cement roofs, with either steel of timber purlins. We just used to drill them , K2 do good mounting bolts for both timber and steel purlins, K2 call them hanger bolts.
You could reuse the existing holes in the sheeting if you were worried.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Replace some of the existing rooing bolts with hanger bolts though esisting holes into perlins:-

https://www.tradesparky.com/solarsparky ... -bolt-wood

Although you probably will have to make the holes a tad bigger - I'd be tempted to keep the hole damp to control the dust whilst doing it.
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH
AGT

Post by AGT »

Asbestos is about managing the risk.
So all depends on your appetite for risk
Is this at your home, is it at a business, will there be employees working there?

Disposal costs, costs to add second skin?
Cost to remove second skin if asbestos fails?
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Asbestos cement boards are a relatively small risk but still more than I would want to take long term. Personally I would get rid of it and then you can do what you like safely. We use a firm that will collect a standard garage size roof for about 450 quid. We dismantle and double bag, they collect and dispose and give you a certificate, happy days :D

Desp
Blah blah blah
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

I used biffa waste. It was a few years ago and was just over £1000 for 4.5 tonnes. They dropped the skip off on Friday and collected on the Monday. I'd got everything ready on pallets and forklifted them in. It was the only time I could do it as the skips were in constant use at Drax powerstation. The worst part for me was opening the skip door thinking what Drax had been putting in it. :o
Last edited by Tinbum on Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW