Balcony solar PV

Joeboy

Re: Balcony solar PV

Post by Joeboy »

richbee wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:41 am
AE-NMidlands wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:55 am
Enphase’s IQ8 microinverters, which provide up to 384 W to support high-powered solar modules, and IQ Battery 5P, a modular design with 5 kWh of capacity,
I didn't realise Octopus were going for smaller devices than the Givenergy stuff they currently work with - or is there a units mix-up?
At £146 from TradeSparky it really is a baby, I wonder that it is worth doing anything this small if you have to pay for all the other stuff (and labour) which goes to make up a pv system. Maybe they plan to run a dozen in parallel?
A
They are microinverters, so you tend to have 1 per panel and can scale up to have as many as you like, all connected together with an internet gateway. It's very efficient in terms of getting the best from every panel, but could quickly add up to be more expensive than a string inverter if you're after a full house roof system.
That is an excellent answer. I'd add into the hive mind that enphase micros will run on their own without envoy but need to have been set up. IE run up on an envoy and set to grid voltage in their operating space.

If that has been done then yep each micro can be a fast track to small form factor standalone PV. There is also the route if say tight for space on an already PV populated house or going for small form factor PV (lower voltage) to run the panels in series to knock the voltage up from say 18V to 36V.

That's kind of where I am in my thinking here at Turkish hoose. They say the IQ7 is a 60 cell specific micro inverter but I'm willing to have a go with a couple of these panels.

Also a couple of data sheets for a couple of different Enphase micros. Personally, I prefer the M215's but the IQ7 has more flexibility in maxing out two panels through one microinverter?
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Adding on from there and bear in mind I'm looking at no cost/kWh scenarios. With that freedom I could install two separate strings in parallel to take the 36V already achieved increase in voltage through series up to 10A+ and be banging out the 1/4kW on an awkward space.

My point being that there is quite a lot of flexibility in packing out the corners with the Enphase or Hoymiles units..?

The above is just one scenario and tbh wildy out of whack for a cost effective solution compared to the big panel & big inverter savings available mainstream

Although it does work to the good. Water cooler, fridge freezer taken care of in daylight. Maybe nip away a little at the AIr con inverter system when the other cooling units are not running? I DO like that idea. 👍
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Back home. Seen snow, hail rain & sun at the same time on the run up the road. Have also seen 700W thru to 7kW incoming on the home pv's since return! :shock:

Had a quick check of No1's Hoymiles system and he has very recently passed his first 1/4 MWh generation! :)

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:08 pm Back home. Seen snow, hail rain & sun at the same time on the run up the road. Have also seen 700W thru to 7kW incoming on the home pv's since return! :shock:
Welcome to spring in Scotland... :lol:
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 pm
Joeboy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:08 pm Back home. Seen snow, hail rain & sun at the same time on the run up the road. Have also seen 700W thru to 7kW incoming on the home pv's since return! :shock:
Ah man!, we hit 10kW combined across the systems last week then sub 1kW rapid. :o :lol: Might be nice to have some storage eh? :twisted:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:28 pm
Ah man!, we hit 10kW combined across the systems last week then sub 1kW rapid. :o :lol: Might be nice to have some storage eh? :twisted:
A few extra kWh of storage would be handy :whistle:
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Fintray wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:36 pm
Joeboy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:28 pm

A few extra kWh of storage would be handy :whistle:
:lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

A late burst of sun at half four. The workshop solar kicking out nearly 300W. Very happy with that!

Is it just me or is there room there for two small form factor bifacials? 🤔

I'd have to move the workshop sign onto the door....
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
richbee

Post by richbee »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:36 pm A late burst of sun at half four. The workshop solar kicking out nearly 300W. Very happy with that!

Is it just me or is there room there for two small form factor bifacials? 🤔

I'd have to move the workshop sign onto the door....
At least 2😂
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
AGT

Post by AGT »

Or take the existing off, put long rails onto the roof, either vertical support if it’s going to be a long span or cantelever/ gallows brackets to support and do loads more..