Balcony solar PV

richbee

Re: Balcony solar PV

Post by richbee »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:48 pm That was effortless!

From this

To this. :D

It won't win any bonny shed awards

Imageupload picture

Although it is actively charging the EV.

I am defo degrading in my workmanship!

Once I fit the next panel Enphase combo will be kicking out well over half a kW consistently maybe a bit more. I've tidied up, cable tied etc and it's looking good. Interested to see how late tonight we are still generating meaningful power rates from this little motley array. :twisted:

I've set the panel at minus 1 degree or so to avoid top shadows from the roofline edge.
It does look good, and very satisfying - sure you could fit a small panel on the door
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

richbee wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:18 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:48 pm That was effortless!

From this

To this. :D

It won't win any bonny shed awards

Imageupload picture

Although it is actively charging the EV.

I am defo degrading in my workmanship!

Once I fit the next panel Enphase combo will be kicking out well over half a kW consistently maybe a bit more. I've tidied up, cable tied etc and it's looking good. Interested to see how late tonight we are still generating meaningful power rates from this little motley array. :twisted:

I've set the panel at minus 1 degree or so to avoid top shadows from the roofline edge.
It does look good, and very satisfying - sure you could fit a small panel on the door
That is hilarious, no I couldn't! :twisted:

Although I did clean all four panels and achieved this at 4pm.

I'd likely get much more out of the system if I just stuck a Hoymiles in there but I'm really enjoying the make do & mend reuse Womble thang. I'm upping my system prediction to 650W peak once the last panel is in place.

Boosted HWT after a shower so the Enphase Workshop is doing its bit there. It never fails to amaze me the constant excellence of PV. :)
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
richbee

Post by richbee »

Finally got round to fitting the remaining 2 panels on the Hoymiles Mancave setup - at last :D
The promised rain and thunder never materialised.

Good to see it kicking out 1187W this morning (4 x 435W Longi panels)
Sorry no photos as it is in a strange place in the garden, nowhere actually has a view of that side of the roof!
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

richbee wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 11:51 am Finally got round to fitting the remaining 2 panels on the Hoymiles Mancave setup - at last :D
The promised rain and thunder never materialised.

Good to see it kicking out 1187W this morning (4 x 435W Longi panels)
Sorry no photos as it is in a strange place in the garden, nowhere actually has a view of that side of the roof!
Nice one Richbee. Between you & Nowty i've been spurred on to buy another 3 black 500W+ panels! It will have me banging on the limit of the 60A solar controller... Or blowing the arse clean off it. :D

https://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/p/longi- ... m/p/104460
Last edited by Joeboy on Thu May 09, 2024 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

SWMBO has been chasing a boot room type deal for years. We had a G&T late afternoon and off we went to the races! Going to fabricate a few s/s brackets to fly the panels over the top of the gutters. This will help me keep the solar boot room as minimal touch to the building as we can. The panel length should give us full roof cover and end at the left hand beam just to the left of the small window.

We are excited! I thought SWMBO would just auto fancy a vertical larch external finish but she has other plans....

I am tbh kind of chucking these panels at it. Close enough for a voltage match as a set of 3 in portrait and hopefully combined with Scottish weather we'll dance about under the 60A limit of the Victron controller. ClockmanFra is still in the back of my mind with the 1kW any weather Mantra!

Sadly at these size of panels delivery is not an.option. Hopefully the lads at city plumbing are good forklift operators and can.load onto the van roof rack. Either that or we'll handball and separate with sheets of cardboard. Game on! :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
drjim

Post by drjim »

Odd thing is it will be delivered in to their depot, so why can't they deliver it to you????? :roll:
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

drjim wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:36 pm Odd thing is it will be delivered in to their depot, so why can't they deliver it to you????? :roll:
That is a very good question 🤔. I checked on app & desktop. Smaller panels no problem, these big beasties not so much.

TBH I'm going this big as they fit the roof area nicely. I'd rather have had a triple of 430's delivered...A little hassle at the start (collecting) will hopefully pay off in the final look.
Last edited by Joeboy on Thu May 09, 2024 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

£266- 3 panels 1605W
£88- s/s fixings, galvanised flat bar, cold spray galvanised tin.

Total £344.

I did say to SWMBO.that I think I can bring the whole thing in for about £800, req'd finish depending. My original guess was about £1,500. She can basically have whatever she wants. I'm not telling her that though! :twisted:

Might get around to shaping the first rear mounting bracket tomorrow. 🤔 Would be nice to get two of those in place, on the level and mount a top beam just for initial visual and first step.

I think this will be a flat set of three, or absolutely minimal drop. The decision to float the panels over the top.of the gutters kind of decides that. Especially keeping shading in mind. We'll see.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

i think i'll go with black on black for the timbers & brackets. try and keep it all so the eye slides away rather than getting hooked up on one detail. Lofty dreams! :lol:

I need to find somewhere I can get an 8" kingpost in the round about 10' long.. :xx: Telegraph pole or similar if anyone in Aberdeenshire knows a source?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Joeboy wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:27 am i think i'll go with black on black for the timbers & brackets. try and keep it all so the eye slides away rather than getting hooked up on one detail. Lofty dreams! :lol:

I need to find somewhere I can get an 8" kingpost in the round about 10' long.. :xx: Telegraph pole or similar if anyone in Aberdeenshire knows a source?
There's an ex electricity pole sitting in a field near me.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf