Balcony solar PV

Joeboy

Re: Balcony solar PV

Post by Joeboy »

My 4th Enphase 215W microinverter has arrived. Sadly consigned to the drawer for the moment.

The idea was to do a test with a single panel here for over in Turkey. I'll still be going to have a look in Marmaris when in chandlers area. See if I can find a suitable panel.

It turns out that most of the smaller form factor (yachts rv's type) PV have a operating voltage of around 18V. The M215 according to spec sheet kicks in at 22V and runs up to 36V.

I had hoped what with the increase in efficiency over the last few years to see some higher voltage smaller form factor panels. Tres niche admittedly.... I could twin a pair of 100W 18V panels and run at 36V buy I was kind of taken with the small form mobile one hit panel solution helping to run my inverter AC system in Turkey.

I'll keep mulling it over but if anyone comes across smaller form PV operating at over 22V it would be appreciated?

I was even out in the rain there chucking porous blankets over one of the Sharp panels at Enphase WS but I couldn't get it below 24V for a lower threshold test! Damn! :lol:
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

A quick search this morning brought up these panels. This is more like it.

https://uk.renogy.com/bifacial-115-watt ... lar-panel/

A pricey way to get a 6A solar supply but appealing nonetheless. :facepalm:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

We are also seeing solid bursts of 300W from the Enphase WS system (3 old 170W Sharp panels) when it all aligns. Enphase HT not so much even with the bigger panel. Best seen yet is 115W. :(

Might be the vertical aspect, not sure. Should get up to the half kW output soon between both diy balcony systems though which is very nice for mostly defunct, scrapyard type gear?

I think once we get up to late April I'll swap out the IQ7 250W enphase micro for the older M215W Enphase from the drawer. The IQ7 might be better suited to the Renology panels. More testing required!

I was pretty confident that the 370W panel would have been bouncing off of the IQ7 250W limit. Just hasn't happened...
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Just been walking around with No1 son to see Watt's what. One of those magic days when PB's appear. We've got over 1kW of power coming in between the diy systems. :)

I think we'll see a peak of about 1.25kW out of these which we are very happy with. 😊

There's still some testing to be done on the Enphase HT system. It is set up for Winter benefits when any Watts are much appreciated. I think I'll grab some Amp figures with the DC clamp on various panels when we get full sun for a while.

Very happy indeed, 1- 1.25kW is a very handy useable figure.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Heading out to Turkey in the morning. Got a couple a few rechargeable night & cooking lights in the backpack to add to the 5V set ups out there. Also a hotplate and steak grill plate to add to the general 'no gas' vibe. 😋

Had another pouralash type day here. Yet the stack SOC hit a reasonable 60+% from a low of 34% mid morning.

Will have to charge EV tonight for the run South in the morning but Octopus green forecast is good for tonight. I find it amazing how with not too many nips and tucks we can live a reasonably aware day to day life. Akin to the Buddhist philosophy of loving kindness. ❤️

Sorry, not going off on one but I do see parallels. I'll make up for the flight via denial in red wine during and Kirkhill in reality though Summer....
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Back in Turkey with 25 degs+. The 5V rechargeables are back in full swing out here. Added some low level rechargeable sensor lights and a particularly cool kitchen sensor light for cooking. Led strip, rechargeable and on mag catches.

The security guys at airport didn't expect the steak pans and single hotplate being backpacked but thought it a cool idea! 😎.

Back home, the home stack was maxed out by 11.30am. No1 son is under instruction to use our place as much as possible to get through it all!

Octopus have raised a complaint off their own back against their own meter installation team as its 6 weeks with no contact for a smet2 install at No1's place. :lol:

GREAT to be back in full sun again. 🌞

Also bought 1 more IQ7 Enphase as a 15% discount offer came through on Ebay. £83.20 total incl delivery. Will probably end up out here in Turkey for a stealth install. :twisted:

I still think the renogy bifacial 115W panels are hard to beat for £150 a pair but need that Marmaris walk. :D
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

A slightly different balcony solar today. More battery than panellage tbh, yet vast amounts of potential tracking across the sky.

Got it done though. Phones & lights including standby night lights are all ready to rock. This is our new cooking light, hung off a spice rack No1 made back in the day, ye never really know where it will all lead.

SWMBO did the final shutdown on solar out here beyond the 5V limit. :( Fair play, gotta be team n all those things that really matter. Instead I'll scale up the 5V, keep an eye on thin-film progress and buy into a couple of Winter panels for back home in Scotland. That will be another discussion entirely when fighting for Winter Watts.

Meanwhile, back home. The house was banging off 100% at 11.30 hrs. Forecasts as they are for accuracy, we went for topping out the HWT and a loading to Storage Heaters thru the day.. Truly trippy & quite wonderful. :D

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

First darkness yesterday evening and the 5V rechargeable motion sensor lights are a defo positive upgrade. Will be great in powercuts too.

I think I'll bring the other big blue panel out next time. I tend to forget how much we've got the capacity to run offgrid out here. Might as well max it out.

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Next incremental step here will be sunshine into music. To that end I'll look for a dc to ac small form inverter to run the Alexa dot smooth chill radio off of a battery pack recharged by Big Blue PV.

Hopefully the plug to Alexa dot isn't a proprietary design and it's simple enough. We already have the network box running off PV battery.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

Would a dc to dc converter for the the dot, it be worthwhile, as they have a small barell connector on the back,you see pcbs on eBay for under £2