Balcony solar PV

Joeboy

Re: Balcony solar PV

Post by Joeboy »

Sods law in action! Had a huge storm blow through last night and knocked power out for a wee bit. Just went off again there so fell back on good old 5v step up to get the net back up and running.

Defo bringing the equivalent to keep echo dot playing through outages.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AGT

Post by AGT »

Small victories!
Things like that keep people happy, I have Wi-Fi router on UPS so helpful when working from home and the power blips, lots of work getting done in the area, so just saves a wee bit of grief, which I’m a fan of avoiding!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:17 pm Small victories!
Things like that keep people happy, I have Wi-Fi router on UPS so helpful when working from home and the power blips, lots of work getting done in the area, so just saves a wee bit of grief, which I’m a fan of avoiding!
I think we as a group of solar enthusiastic types learn so much from our ongoing experiences. Etches new pathways kind of thing.

Echodot 5v to 12v step up is on order as is the 22awg cable and eyelets to jump the battery equaliser on the new stack back home (on its arrival).

A quick run up of big blue hung off on back deck to get me feeling it. :hysteria:

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Set up the alfresco kitchen this time out. Zero gas use (I think the gas bottle is in year 3 now, might be more). I think we could do with a shelf or two outdoors and we'll be good to go. It was really excellent cooking on balcony. Felt connected to the process.

Looks like I can fit a couple of hundred Watts PV on the back balcony without it looking too horrendous. I'll be doing it for realistically about 100W background load compensation. It makes absolutely no financial sense whatsoever. :facepalm:

Yet... :twisted:

If I have an Enphase IQ7 in my backpack when I come back out with cousins in May I'll know the truth. :lol:
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Enphase’s IQ8 microinverters, which provide up to 384 W to support high-powered solar modules, and IQ Battery 5P, a modular design with 5 kWh of capacity,
I didn't realise Octopus were going for smaller devices than the Givenergy stuff they currently work with - or is there a units mix-up?
At £146 from TradeSparky it really is a baby, I wonder that it is worth doing anything this small if you have to pay for all the other stuff (and labour) which goes to make up a pv system. Maybe they plan to run a dozen in parallel?
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
richbee

Post by richbee »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:55 am
Enphase’s IQ8 microinverters, which provide up to 384 W to support high-powered solar modules, and IQ Battery 5P, a modular design with 5 kWh of capacity,
I didn't realise Octopus were going for smaller devices than the Givenergy stuff they currently work with - or is there a units mix-up?
At £146 from TradeSparky it really is a baby, I wonder that it is worth doing anything this small if you have to pay for all the other stuff (and labour) which goes to make up a pv system. Maybe they plan to run a dozen in parallel?
A
They are microinverters, so you tend to have 1 per panel and can scale up to have as many as you like, all connected together with an internet gateway. It's very efficient in terms of getting the best from every panel, but could quickly add up to be more expensive than a string inverter if you're after a full house roof system.
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
richbee

Post by richbee »

This is cool - just seen my Hoymiles Man Cave PV hit 750W - from 2 x 435W panels!
Currently exporting 3.9kW from the 2 systems as batteries are full - we are both away with work, so we can't even use any of it - hope it's still going at 4pm once the peak rate export kicks in
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

:xl: Off to the races for the season! :)
richbee wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm This is cool - just seen my Hoymiles Man Cave PV hit 750W - from 2 x 435W panels!
Currently exporting 3.9kW from the 2 systems as batteries are full - we are both away with work, so we can't even use any of it - hope it's still going at 4pm once the peak rate export kicks in
It really is quite liberating to be putting these diy systems in place and reaping the benefits of our own work.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs