Project Pergola And maybe Project Fencing

Tay

Project Pergola And maybe Project Fencing

Post by Tay »

Some updates to my Heath Robinson battery setup

I think the original details were posted in the intro thread so thought I'd start one here instead.

I'm playing less now and have decided that the gains I was getting were marginal at best by having a panel pointing SSW, its in the shade until 1-2pm and frankly it feels that you might as well generate as much as you can when you can as quick as you can.

The temptation is there to fiddle with them trying to optimise the angles etc but frankly with just 2 mediocre panels I''ve decided to stick both in the same direction, latter in the year I can up the angles if I feel the need.

I've come up with a Clematis friendly bodge that gives the panels more height off the pergola, Clematis more light and me plenty of time to stop the pesky plant trying to crawl all over the panels.

I'll get some closer shots in the light tomorrow, but after connecting them up as single units going into the twin feed of my battery system, I'm seeing similar results that I saw when it was on the roof, obviously, now both are are pretty much the same layout the former roof panel is intermittently producing less watts, more volts, frequently drops to zero output where the other panel is producing power according to the inverter.

I'll see how it fairs with a full day (hopefully of sunshine) and report back, but it feels that one panel is giving odd results. if I still see the fluctuations tomorrow I'll swap the cables around (as I've not tidied them up yet due to light fading) as that would be the only factor that could make a difference.

Annoyingly as the firmware on the AC300 isnt the same as the AC500 I can only see the differences at the unit itself as the app wont show it.

Last edited by Tay on Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PV 1.1kWh
Victron Multiplus 8K II 48v/100A + Victron 150/35 charge controller + lynx 1000
CerboGX, 25kW Pylontech batteries
Octopus Agile - Cheaper Battery Charging
Another 2.3kWh on the horizon - ground mount+575's
MoSTiE

Re: Crap roof - Project Pergola !

Post by MoSTiE »

that picture looks ripe for more panels :)
Tay

Post by Tay »

MoSTiE wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:20 pm that picture looks ripe for more panels :)
Its a little deceptive, those are smallish panels. 1.5m x 1m , also the positioning is to keep the 3 clematis plants below it alive. There are conditions I need to follow to play with Solar in the way I have.. SWMBO has been quite clear on that..

I'm working through options for more panels at the moment, the roof despite its nuances ^^ needs to be the next step and if that fails to gain momentum then 4-5 large panels on the northern fence situated on the roof of a bike shed type design, grandkids get a dry area and I get to chuck a bunch of panels on the roof..result if you ask me.

So if delays to the roof setup or little interest to put a measily 1kw'ish of panels then its likely I would go for 500w'ish+ panels on the roof of said shed type thing..
PV 1.1kWh
Tay

Post by Tay »

MoSTiE wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:20 pm that picture looks ripe for more panels :)
Funny you should say that as our left side neighbours were round before I went off for a few days so we could witness some LPA stuff.

The chaps wife was looking at my 2 panels on the pergola, I was expecting some disparaging remarks but she suggested there was space for at least double the capacity ^^

I mentioned that I was only testing and it wasn't really suitable there as their house cast quite a shadow on them.

I touched on the fact I'm considering placing some large panels on or near the fence next to our right side neighbours or on some sort of structure that would see direct sunlight significantly more during the day. It received quite a positive response from both of them and my wife.

But the wife definitely wants to find out first if there is value to putting panels on our awful roof before we consider going down the route of a bike shed style building with large capacity solar panels on its roof. My neighbour on the right hand side wouldnt complain (I don't think) as I would be cutting down some large shrubs that block the light, but the size of the structure would be quite considerable.

Perhaps 5M in length extending into the garden around 2.5M to cater for 4-5 large capacity (600w+) panels on the roof.
PV 1.1kWh
Tay

Re: Project Pergola And maybe Project Fencing

Post by Tay »

So, I've been planning the garden PV structure, I've yet to speak to the neighbours as the've only just got back home from the birth of their grandchild.

I've come up with a couple of ideas that may or may not fly with building reg's, next door etc etc, I'm told that planning permission that includes PV are welcomed and I could just get a cursory nod to go ahead with it. in the same breath I dont want to piss off the neighbours too much.

1. This is essentially the current view from the neighbours side. iin fronts of the structure to the SE I have my pergola

The hedge is a pain in the ass to manage on their side, they have flower beds and have to put up all manner of contraptions to cut their side of the hedge which is from my side of the fence. I'm proposing to cut the thing down, this is infinatly better than the north side fo the garden, but I could build it there in front of the shrubs and retain some privacy but lose a bit more of the garden, also the structure would have the highest part of the structure against the shrubs and look a bit crap from ourside.

2. 6 Panel idea.
Remove the hedge entirely and build a shed leanto type structure, this would house harden furniture over the winter, grandkids toys dolls house etc etc

This I think is likely to get neighbour approval than the 9 panel version ^^ - I could live with this but would obviously like the 9 panel version for the extra grunt, chuck some large'ish panels (400w'ish) 2.4 vs 3.6kw

3. 9 panel bad boi

I understand that both are already slightly higher than the building regs of 2.4m, in both cases I think I'd approach the council for comment and see what the next steps are.

Any extra ideas ??, I've got 4 more days use of the 3D software before it melts itself ^^

I guess I could just go with a ton of single depth panels down the left side of the garden and do it without permission but only if I get in to a bit of a strop.

PV 1.1kWh
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

One thing that I'd definitely add to your planning is guttering for the water runoff from the panels. You don't want to drown their plants on the other side of the fence...
Plus, it's easy to put a water butt under a structure like this.
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I wouldn't inflict that much PV mass on my neighbours, especially at human eyelevel. No chance of 2 rows staggered on separate strings, set slightly lower?

I have the vaguest of alarm bells ringing on water egress from your garden into theirs. Something to look out for. Sounds like you are on good terms with the folks next door. Worth preserving that 👌 as well as remembering that just because people are not saying no it doesn't mean it's a strong yes.

Worth looking into string size, inverter compatability with multiple strings, mppt capability and busbar tech within panels. Can do quite a lot to minimise shading hit on daily output by looking into the aforementioned. Also panel orientation and angle. Looks like an enjoyable project. Also Worth hunting out the efficiency/cost sum per panel and finding the happy place.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Tay

Post by Tay »

MrPablo wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:46 am One thing that I'd definitely add to your planning is guttering for the water runoff from the panels. You don't want to drown their plants on the other side of the fence...
Plus, it's easy to put a water butt under a structure like this.
Good idea tks
PV 1.1kWh
Tay

Post by Tay »

Joeboy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:24 am I wouldn't inflict that much PV mass on my neighbours, especially at human eyelevel. No chance of 2 rows staggered on separate strings, set slightly lower?

I have the vaguest of alarm bells ringing on water egress from your garden into theirs. Something to look out for. Sounds like you are on good terms with the folks next door. Worth preserving that 👌 as well as remembering that just because people are not saying no it doesn't mean it's a strong yes.

Worth looking into string size, inverter compatability with multiple strings, mppt capability and busbar tech within panels. Can do quite a lot to minimise shading hit on daily output by looking into the aforementioned. Also panel orientation and angle. Looks like an enjoyable project. Also Worth hunting out the efficiency/cost sum per panel and finding the happy place.
String wont be an issue, ill be using battery charge controllers to top up dc batteries and an victron multi plus 2 8k invertor..this gives me enough grunt to charge batteries as its a 110A charger. Battery system. Is close to being fully designed, 25kw storage, that leaves me 7-8kw spare for the winter, pv will be a bonus only..
PV 1.1kWh
AGT

Post by AGT »

I like the look of drawing 3. I think it doesn’t look so visually ‘large’ and if I was the neighbour it would be my
Preference as i think it’s easier on the eye.