Project Pergola And maybe Project Fencing

MrPablo

Re: Project Pergola And maybe Project Fencing

Post by MrPablo »

Agreed, 3 would be my preference both as a neighbour and an installer.
It'd look quite smart, less instrusion into your own garden and probably much easier to install the panels.
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
nowty

Post by nowty »

My garden is a bit mad for panels, but they all slope towards my side and not any higher than the boundary fences so neighbours can only see them if they look out of their upstairs windows. I would not speak to the council or else they are likely to quote you the ground mount rules, i.e. no nearer than 5m from a boundary.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Krill

Post by Krill »

3 looks great, it's essentailly what I did for a logstore (minus panels because it would be almost permentantly shaded) and my neighbours have all been quite happy with it. Admittedly it discharges water onto my fence and not into a neighbours garden.
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
Tay

Post by Tay »

AGT wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:17 am I like the look of drawing 3. I think it doesn’t look so visually ‘large’ and if I was the neighbour it would be my
Preference as i think it’s easier on the eye.
I agree, but I do think part of that is the close fitment of the panels and I think the 6 panel version would be similar if I did that, also it would make the roof look and be a little smaller.

The panels that are fitted are the 1722x1134 variety.
PV 1.1kWh
Victron Multiplus 8K II 48v/100A + Victron 150/35 charge controller + lynx 1000
CerboGX, 25kW Pylontech batteries
Octopus Agile - Cheaper Battery Charging
Another 2.3kWh on the horizon - ground mount+575's
Tay

Post by Tay »

Krill wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:43 pm 3 looks great, it's essentailly what I did for a logstore (minus panels because it would be almost permentantly shaded) and my neighbours have all been quite happy with it. Admittedly it discharges water onto my fence and not into a neighbours garden.
I was worried about the lenght being 5 and a bit metres, but frankly its approx the same size as a large shed, the open nature of it makes it look a little smaller also.

I saw the neighbours today and we're going to catch up when we're back from the holiday break.

Hopefully I'll still have access to the software, or I can install it fresh on my Macbook or be a tad sneaky and stick it on a virtual machine. I'd be happy emptying into a couple of water butts and then utilsiing that water for the garden.
PV 1.1kWh
John_S

Post by John_S »

How far away from the fence is the neighbour's house and where is due south? In other words is there likely to be shading with the panels at/below fence height? Especially in winter.
Tay

Post by Tay »

John_S wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:12 pm How far away from the fence is the neighbour's house and where is due south? In other words is there likely to be shading with the panels at/below fence height? Especially in winter.
Shading should be minimal during the winter and only very early morning shade during the summer.

The left fence is the one in question, their conservatory is unlikely to see too much due to the angle of the panels, no matter which design is considered. Ignore hoto comment its for when I was considering putting it on the right side of garden.

The hedge has become a bit of an eyesore these days too,
PV 1.1kWh
Tay

Post by Tay »

MrPablo wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:24 am Agreed, 3 would be my preference both as a neighbour and an installer.
It'd look quite smart, less instrusion into your own garden and probably much easier to install the panels.
And upgrading them would be a dodle too. Easy to get to any guttering also.
PV 1.1kWh
Tay

Post by Tay »

nowty wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:05 pm My garden is a bit mad for panels, but they all slope towards my side and not any higher than the boundary fences so neighbours can only see them if they look out of their upstairs windows. I would not speak to the council or else they are likely to quote you the ground mount rules, i.e. no nearer than 5m from a boundary.
Having a look at my existing 2 panels they are quite difficult to see as they slope away from the 2nd floor at just the right angle, my son is down for new year so hopefully get the new panels up and not having it quite so pitifull on a good day. both panels new panels will be perfect for the hoymiles micro inverter being 4235w jobbies, and the MC being 800w, the downside if I still have not got my batteries in place is that I'll be generating too much when I get to the spring for our usage.
PV 1.1kWh
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Tay wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:20 pm
nowty wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:05 pm My garden is a bit mad for panels, but they all slope towards my side and not any higher than the boundary fences so neighbours can only see them if they look out of their upstairs windows. I would not speak to the council or else they are likely to quote you the ground mount rules, i.e. no nearer than 5m from a boundary.
Having a look at my existing 2 panels they are quite difficult to see as they slope away from the 2nd floor at just the right angle, my son is down for new year so hopefully get the new panels up and not having it quite so pitifull on a good day. both panels new panels will be perfect for the hoymiles micro inverter being 4235w jobbies, and the MC being 800w, the downside if I still have not got my batteries in place is that I'll be generating too much when I get to the spring for our usage.
Ww have found that No1's home environment is very well balanced out with the inclusion of the 3 setting panel heater on a timer to catch the generation through the day. Worth a thought for your own home maybe? Up here ww can easily benefit from low solar heating until May.

The biggest advantage beyond background load negation is hot water tank. Cheapest battery I own. A solar diverter would be your friend?
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees