Were getting closer to the battery solution (Now completed)

Tay

Were getting closer to the battery solution (Now completed)

Post by Tay »

So, it seems were getting closer to the battery and tou solution.

Seems many companies dont like people asking questions and having a little knowledge that can call them out.

Due to the law changes regarding zero VAT on batteries etc - the delays have worked in my favour, the zero'd VAT has allowed me to get an additional battery upfront which is nice and within budget.

I have got, and accepted, paid a deposit for a Victron Multiplus II 8000, assorted Victron gubbins, mains connected, anti islanding and all that jazz and 5 US5000 Pylontech batteries, this should give me all of our daily usage and then some and still be able to charge in a way to manage the lifespan of the batteries, the only issue is going to be forecasting the british sun so as not to over charge under charge the batteries or maybe I'll just leave the damned things to sort themselves out or try ESS.

I've also prepared for the PVs in the back garden 'at some point' by having armoured cabling put it to the back of the house.
My take on this is that as and when I'm ready I can buy some victron charge controllers (Or start with a single) and gradually hook up the PV in the garden as and when able/approved/agreed.

1st of March is the scheduled install date all things being well and kit delivered etc.

I'm now getting a little excited.

Now I better walk the dog.
Last edited by Tay on Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
PV 1.1kWh
Victron Multiplus 8K II 48v/100A + Victron 150/35 charge controller + lynx 1000
CerboGX, 25kW Pylontech batteries
Octopus Agile - Cheaper Battery Charging
Another 2.3kWh on the horizon - ground mount+575's
Fintray

Re: Were getting closer to the battery solution

Post by Fintray »

Exciting time ahead, remember the pictures as it gets installed. :D
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Tay wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:12 pm
I have got, and accepted, paid a deposit for a Victron Multiplus II 8000, assorted Victron gubbins, mains connected, anti islanding and all that jazz and 5 US5000 Pylontech batteries...
What did your DNO have to say about your installing 8kVA of generation? Mine wanted me to limit my inverter output to 3.68.

Also why does the Multi need external anti-islanding, I thought it had now got all the UK approvals?
16 x 230W Upsolar panels in S Devon, ~3.9 MWh/year
8 x 405W Longi panels, 3.355 MWh/yr projected
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50 with 250/60 MPPT
3 x Pylontec 3.55 kWh Force-L2
zappi 7kW EV charger
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
AlBargey

Post by AlBargey »

Tay wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:12 pm So, it seems were getting closer to the battery and tou solution.

....the only issue is going to be forecasting the british sun so as not to over charge under charge the batteries or maybe I'll just leave the damned things to sort themselves out or try ESS.
Exciting! Yes pretty sure you don't need separate anti Islanding with the Multi 8k II now its finally got on the ENA type test register (registered capacity 6.4kW)

If you also have a Cerbo or RasPi running Venus, then the VRM portal also now has an AI algorithm for solar and consumption forecasting, up to 7 days in advance, it's not perfect, but still really useful, some people use the IMT solar irradiation sensors and Node Red for forecasting integration, but just checking VRM might be enough to give you a general idea.

38m Barge, Solar (10.6 kWp), 26 kWh of LFP, Victron Quattro 8 kVA, CerboGX, 3,500L STP, 57kVa Perkins
Our live data: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installat ... e/c76c4bf6
Tay

Post by Tay »

sharpener wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:48 pm
I have got, and accepted, paid a deposit for a Victron Multiplus II 8000, assorted Victron gubbins, mains connected, anti islanding and all that jazz and 5 US5000 Pylontech batteries...
What did your DNO have to say about your installing 8kVA of generation? Mine wanted me to limit my inverter output to 3.68.

Also why does the Multi need external anti-islanding, I thought it had now got all the UK approvals?
Ah nice, when I first looked at the anti islanding they didnt even have the 8k listed and I couldnt find some of the other ones. Something less to look at now.

As for exporting - nothing yet, I don't have enough PV to worry about it, I fully intend, at this point at least, to use all the power myself without any exporting, maybe when I get my PV's setup properly I'll look at it again in a few months, it would be handy for holidays when I'm not going to use all the power but were not there yet, I'm just looking forward to not paying peak rate for any of my power off British Gas.

Once were settled in I'll look at Octopus again and see if I can get moved over, BG didnt update some industry database last time I looked but been busy since.
PV 1.1kWh
Tay

Post by Tay »

AlBargey wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:55 pm
Tay wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:12 pm So, it seems were getting closer to the battery and tou solution.

....the only issue is going to be forecasting the british sun so as not to over charge under charge the batteries or maybe I'll just leave the damned things to sort themselves out or try ESS.
Exciting! Yes pretty sure you don't need separate anti Islanding with the Multi 8k II now its finally got on the ENA type test register (registered capacity 6.4kW)

If you also have a Cerbo or RasPi running Venus, then the VRM portal also now has an AI algorithm for solar and consumption forecasting, up to 7 days in advance, it's not perfect, but still really useful, some people use the IMT solar irradiation sensors and Node Red for forecasting integration, but just checking VRM might be enough to give you a general idea.
I've got the Cerbo coming and even decided to forgo the sourcing of a 22u rack and just get the Pylontech 24U rack, its expensive but I like the look of it. Once I get the VRM Portal up and running I'll have a play with that and see if I can then hook into my EmonTX3 system or just sell it, it currently only tracks the mains via CT and Pulse/temp and voltage.

But first and foremost just want to get the bugger in to reduce the monthly outgoings.
PV 1.1kWh
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Tay wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:32 pm
As for exporting - nothing yet, I don't have enough PV to worry about it, I fully intend, at this point at least, to use all the power myself without any exporting, maybe when I get my PV's setup properly I'll look at it again in a few months.
That's not the point. As the inverter is (even without any PV generation) capable of exporting more than the 3.68kW threshold you need the DNO's approval before you can attach it to their network. Lots of stuff about this on the Victron forum e.g. this thread.
zappi 7kW EV charger
5000l rainwater system
Tay

Post by Tay »

I'll have a gander thanks.

I would have thought the retailer and electrician might have mentioned that.
PV 1.1kWh
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Tay wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:24 pm I'll have a gander thanks.

I would have thought the retailer and electrician might have mentioned that.
If the supplier didn't know you don't need external anti-islanding and the electrician didn't know about getting DNO permission they probably won't know the ins and outs of the IET Code of Practice on installing an ESS.

So it might be wise to bone up on the requirements, for earthing in particular, this is not to be trifled with on an 8kVA system. Also there are things like fitting a lockable AC isolator, not putting the inverter on an RCD which is shared with other circuits and a host of other points.

You can find lots of good stuff in the Victron "Wiring Unlimited" download but it is not UK-specific so is neither complete nor entirely correct for UK installations.
zappi 7kW EV charger
5000l rainwater system
Andy

Post by Andy »

sharpener wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:12 am
Tay wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:32 pm

As for exporting - nothing yet, I don't have enough PV to worry about it, I fully intend, at this point at least, to use all the power myself without any exporting, maybe when I get my PV's setup properly I'll look at it again in a few months.
That's not the point. As the inverter is (even without any PV generation) capable of exporting more than the 3.68kW threshold you need the DNO's approval before you can attach it to their network. Lots of stuff about this on the Victron forum e.g. this thread.
You will need a G99 application and if you can't get the full export you will need a G100 for the limiting to whatever they allow. I was lucky and got 13kW so didn't need a G100. They said they prefer you ask for what you need and then they will come down if required.