Solis inverter alarm

JohnW

Solis inverter alarm

Post by JohnW »

Hi Chaps

I have a Solis hybrid inverter and Pylontech batteries. I get an intermittent alarm on the inverter during months when there is a lot of UV. The last couple of days has seen such conditions and when the batteries are near fully charged I get an alarm light on the inverter and a BMS alarm message.
I've tried switching everything off and on again, but the alarm continues to display. It goes off eventually.
There are no alarms on the batteries and everything seems to function normally.

1. Is this anything to worry about?
2. Any suggestions what I should do please?

Thanks

John.

JA Solar panels 14 x 380W East/West arrays
Solis S5-EH1P hybrid inverter
Pylontech US5000 battery x 1
Pylontech US3000C batteries x 4
Dovre 8kW wood burner
Morso 5kW wood burner
Tinbum

Re: Solis inverter alarm

Post by Tinbum »

1 yes
2 check the settings on the inverter and make sure the battery communication is working.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
SporranMcDonald

Post by SporranMcDonald »

I have a similar setup Solis / Pylontech . . . . . .

In the early days I used to get the alarm info from the Soliscloud, via desktop PC or Solis phone app.
I don't really know if that would give you a bit more info about the cause of the alarm, over the inverter screen.

However, it became clear that the inverter passed insufficient battery alarm information ( for me ) to make any sensible diagnosis.

I contacted Pylontech and got them to send me their BatteryView analysis program. ( ** an MS Windows program )
I bought a Console cable from Servtech ( via Ebay ).

Then all became clear . . . . < snip > . . . all is well that ends well . . . . https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 9&start=40

Ongoing : the Console cable remains plugged in ( to the batteries in the attic ). It is connected to a Raspberry Pi Zero W 2.
I can make ad hoc enquiries for full battery information at any time - via wifi.
4 kWp Solar PV : 50%/50% SE/SW : Solis Hybrid 3.6 : Pylontec 9.6 kWh
5 Kwh Air-to-Air Mitsubishi Heat Pump : single-split
Jotul 602 wood-burner ( 2012 )
Ripple : Graig Fatha & Kirk Hill . . . . plus various other renewable projects.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Hi Chaps
Thank you for your suggestions.

Tinbum: Comms are working, and the alarm light has gone off. The inverter is set for Pylontech batteries, so I assume the default settling are okay, I've not changed them.

SporranM: I looked at your link, Sorry, I have no idea what any of that means :oops: I'm good with timber and brick, but these systems are like witchcraft to me.
I think maybe I'll have to get somebody in to sort the problem.

Do you think I should switch everything off until it's sorted? I don't want stuff starting to smoke!

Thanks again for your advice
Dovre 8kW wood burner
Morso 5kW wood burner
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

The issue is that the default charge voltage for the pylontech batteries is pretty aggressive, charging at 3.55v per cell.
Combine that with the fact that Solis inverters don't respect max voltage very well with Pylontech batteries and you have a recipe for over voltage.

The good news is that the batteries detect this and stop the inverter from continuing to charge them. The bad news is that you end up with alarms and a battery that pauses charging for a bit.

I don't think you can adjust the charging voltage as the battery overrides it. Perhaps you could lower the max charge current and see if that helps at all.
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Thank you Mr P. I'll try that in the morning.
Dovre 8kW wood burner
Morso 5kW wood burner
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Had a look at the settings this morning.
The Pylontech manual says the charging voltage is between 52.5 ~ 53.5 (Vdc)

In the Control Parameter screen:
Floating Charge was already on 053.5V
Equalising Charge was above the 053.5 so reduced to 053.2V
Battery Overvoltage was set to 060V so reduced to 053V.
I don't know if I've done the right thing but this was the only place I could see to make adjustments. You say "reduce the max charge current". Should I have adjusted to Amps too, or instead of?
Thanks again for all your help.

Dovre 8kW wood burner
Morso 5kW wood burner
SporranMcDonald

Post by SporranMcDonald »

The Battery Management System [ B.M.S. ] will keep things running safely and as optimally as possible. . . . as at present.

Ultimately, the system installer should be involved, if possible, as they are first point of contact for Support from Solis and/or Pylontech .

. . . Although I have previously solicited direct help from Pylontech in order to progress a diagnosis. This then led to a Warranty Claim, on one battery.
Initiating the Warranty Claim did involve some Installer <-> Pylontech-Support communication.

PS. I also learn a hell of a lot from the Solis & Pylontech Facebook groups. But such info sources needs to be treated with some care. Other internet searches may reveal useful info.
4 kWp Solar PV : 50%/50% SE/SW : Solis Hybrid 3.6 : Pylontec 9.6 kWh
5 Kwh Air-to-Air Mitsubishi Heat Pump : single-split
Jotul 602 wood-burner ( 2012 )
Ripple : Graig Fatha & Kirk Hill . . . . plus various other renewable projects.
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

JohnW wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:14 am Had a look at the settings this morning.
The Pylontech manual says the charging voltage is between 52.5 ~ 53.5 (Vdc)

In the Control Parameter screen:
Floating Charge was already on 053.5V
Equalising Charge was above the 053.5 so reduced to 053.2V
Battery Overvoltage was set to 060V so reduced to 053V.
I don't know if I've done the right thing but this was the only place I could see to make adjustments. You say "reduce the max charge current". Should I have adjusted to Amps too, or instead of?
Thanks again for all your help.

53.5v is too high. Maximum should be 53.2v but I would set it at 52.5v. The Pylontech BMS will request a maximum of 53.2v

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

Hi JohnW, I would set the overvoltage value back up, 60v may seem too high but the battery will instruct the inverter to stop charging if the voltage is too high.
If you leave the overvoltage value at 53.0v, the inverter will essentially trip itself as soon as the battery get mostly charged, and it doesn't tend to recover quickly, or requires disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

Charge Limitation is where you can adjust the maximum current sent to the batteries. I'm not confident it will solve the problem, but lower charge current tends to result in less cell voltage spikes.
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT