Solis inverter alarm

JohnW

Re: Solis inverter alarm

Post by JohnW »

spread-tee wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:07 pm I have the same set up, Solis with a bunch of Pylon-techs, and get the same warning codes when fully charged . Also a couple of days ago we had an alarm on the master battery itself when the SOC was at 18%, after sun-up and a bit of charge the red Led went out and hasn't come back since.
Is this electronics just throwing up warning messages because the parameters are running close to the edge, or is there a real possibility of damage?
I would have to check but I think the voltage parameters are similar to Johns, and as with his it all seems to be working normally.

Desp
So I'm not the only one with this problem. I had it last summer, but over winter forgot about it until a couple of days ago when it started again when batteries are full or near full. I've surfed the internet but couldn't find anything and don't understand a lot of the tech stuff.
I also get it sometimes at night, looking at the alarm log, when the batteries are charging from the grid.

It was by chance that I saw the alarm light, as it does go off eventually. I've never had a battery alarm, that I'm aware of thankfully

Like you, I'm hoping this does no long term damage. I've reduced what parameters I can and will see what happens before calling the commissioning engineer back.
JA Solar panels 14 x 380W East/West arrays
Solis S5-EH1P hybrid inverter
Pylontech US5000 battery x 1
Pylontech US3000C batteries x 4
Dovre 8kW wood burner
Morso 5kW wood burner
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

JohnW wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:01 pm Thank you guys

I have done as you suggest. I'll let you know if it solves the problem.
If it doesn't, I'll call the guy that commissioned the system.

Thanks again
Hi Chaps
I adjusted the floating charge to 52.5 and the battery overcharge to 54.5, the equalising charge can't be reset.
Unfortunately, it hasn't resolved the issue, the inverter BMS 0vervoltage alarmed lunchtime with the batteries at 99% charged, so will get the man back to look at it.

Thanks again for your help and advice
Dovre 8kW wood burner
Morso 5kW wood burner
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Hi John,

Is the inverter and the BMS still showing battery SOH at 100% ?

Moxi
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Hi Moxi

Sorry, but what's SOH, and where would I find it, please?
I really have no idea :?

Cheer
John
Dovre 8kW wood burner
Morso 5kW wood burner
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Sorry John,

On the Solis app you have the system overview but if you press the device tab you can get the inverter information, towards the bottom of that data there’s the information on the battery and SOH is state of health as a percentage. There are two sub tabs for the battery info one as the inverter sees it and one reported from the battery bms, as your system is new I would hope to see both systems reporting your SOH as 100% which would give you a little peace of mind until your installed gets to the bottom of things for you

Moxi
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Hi Moxi

Ah, problem is I don't have the app. The dongle needed for the app is an optional extra I'd get as there's s so much info on the panel I didn't think I'd need it. I will invest in one as it may be useful in the future.
The panel BMS info attached shows SOH 97%. Is that bad?

Cheers

John
Dovre 8kW wood burner
Morso 5kW wood burner
SporranMcDonald

Post by SporranMcDonald »

JohnW wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:08 pmThe panel BMS info attached shows SOH 97%. Is that bad?
You have previously mentioned that your first battery was installed at the end of Jan 2023 . . . ( ? Are there any more now ? )
SOH 97 % - suggests to me that the battery(s) need some proper diagnosis / fixing of the ongoing alarms.

My primary reference point : My PV system & batteries were installed in Feb 2023. The batteries remain at SOH 100% just over a year later, And this despite one battery having a defective Temperature Sensor - giving a long period of regular warning alarms, before it was fixed.

My other anecdotal reference point : Various other sources suggesting that the loss of 1% or 2% SOH per year, in the early years, is the expected "normal" rate of degradation.

** Happy to be corrected . . . as always.
4 kWp Solar PV : 50%/50% SE/SW : Solis Hybrid 3.6 : Pylontec 9.6 kWh
5 Kwh Air-to-Air Mitsubishi Heat Pump : single-split
Jotul 602 wood-burner ( 2012 )
Ripple : Graig Fatha & Kirk Hill . . . . plus various other renewable projects.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

SporranMcDonald wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:30 pm
JohnW wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:08 pmThe panel BMS info attached shows SOH 97%. Is that bad?
You have previously mentioned that your first battery was installed at the end of Jan 2023 . . . ( ? Are there any more now ? )
SOH 97 % - suggests to me that the battery(s) need some proper diagnosis / fixing of the ongoing alarms.

My primary reference point : My PV system & batteries were installed in Feb 2023. The batteries remain at SOH 100% just over a year later, And this despite one battery having a defective Temperature Sensor - giving a long period of regular warning alarms, before it was fixed.

My other anecdotal reference point : Various other sources suggesting that the loss of 1% or 2% SOH per year, in the early years, is the expected "normal" rate of degradation.

** Happy to be corrected . . . as always.
Hi SporranMcDonald
Thanks for the information.
The original battery US5000 was installed Jan '23 and four US3000C in Feb '23. I'm phoning the installers tomorrow to see if they can diagnose the problem.
Dovre 8kW wood burner
Morso 5kW wood burner
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

JohnW wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:47 pm Hi SporranMcDonald
Thanks for the information.
The original battery US5000 was installed Jan '23 and four US3000C in Feb '23. I'm phoning the installers tomorrow to see if they can diagnose the problem.
You have gained a lot of good information from this thread and it's clearly been shown as a (known) problem.

Make sure you don't let the installers try and fob you off.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Sorry John,

It was a wrong assumption on my part that you had the dongle, I would not be happy at 3% degradation in so short a time, my set up is several years older than yours and my 4 pylons are at 99%SOH.

I would echo Fintray in saying dont let the installer fob you off as theres something wrong with the set up and its causing damage.

Moxi