Solar Edge issue ….

Lincs Robert

Solar Edge issue ….

Post by Lincs Robert »

Hi,

I have a couple of SE inverters, the main one on which I get my FiT, and a second one with all my other panels on. The main one is a 4kW HD wave unit with the LCD screen, installed in 2017. A year ago I was able to source another unit at a good price, so I bought it, tested it and kept it as a spare just in case the main unit died.

Well, it died last Monday. I’m lucky in that I looked at it mid morning only to see it was producing zero output. The symptom was that the green power light was flashing & was producing zero output. I swapped to the spare, paired the optimisers & it went on line straight away. So, a dead inverter - or so I thought…

So a few days later I contacted SE support (via wattsapp chat) & talked them through what I’d done & asked for their opinion- hoping that they’d agree and replace it under warranty. That isn’t what happened though. I brought it back on line for them and they had a remote deep dive into it - discovering that it had somehow locked in a way that even my factory reset didn’t solve. They unlocked it & it’s been fine ever since.

So, there you go - if you have the symptoms where it’s flashing green but no output and seems to do everything but work - then there is a possibility that it can be fixed. I wonder how many have been replaced needlessly as a result. I can see that a swap is a quick fix as it took several hours of activity to get the issue resolved.

Hope this helps someone.

Rob
Fintray

Re: Solar Edge issue ….

Post by Fintray »

I have a couple of SE inverters as well so that information may help me in the future though I hope I don't need it! :xx:
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf