dan_b

Solar port at Southampton Docks

Post by dan_b »

Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
nowty

Re: Solar port at Southampton Docks

Post by nowty »

I'll have to look out for it when I pick up my Telsa.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

dan_b wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:35 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... e-58571576

THis looks quite big
Greenwashing.
The "documentaries" about cruise ships often say (without irony) that their installed generating capacity could power Southampton - for about 4000 passengers and up to 2000 staff! I don't think that covers propulsion either.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Having lived in Southampton and seeing the newer generation Carnival/Disney liners come in, they are huge. From what I can see, they generate something like 60-80 Megawatts. How many football fields is this ?

Seriously, propulsion for something of that size has to be mahoosive.

How many homes would 75 MW power ?
CrofterMannie

Post by CrofterMannie »

Not sure about cruise ships but there last drillship I worked on had 64 MW engines and it's diesel tank was 16 million litres.
8kw solar
ETA log boiler
5ha woodland
MG5EV
Paul_F

Post by Paul_F »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:29 pmThe "documentaries" about cruise ships often say (without irony) that their installed generating capacity could power Southampton - for about 4000 passengers and up to 2000 staff! I don't think that covers propulsion either.
Quite a few of them (I think even the majority nowadays) use series-electric propulsion - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azipod so I'd expect the installed power to match peak demand for propulsion plus hotel loads.
The big point here isn't the PV array but the grid connection to the ship - that means when in port they can turn all the engines off, and use grid power at ~250g/kWh rather than diesel genset power at ~800g/kWh plus local air pollution problems.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

OK, but cruises like that are still an obscenely wasteful way of having a holiday.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mart

Post by Mart »

On a similar vein, hasn't there been some news about ports possibly using electric tug boats in the future, in order to reduce local air pollution? Can't remember when or where I heard this, and not necessarily UK news, but perhaps it's a small (tiny) first step in the right direction. Also reminds me of something similar at airports where the us of tugs is being encouraged to reduce jet engine use. But I've no idea if these are electric yet.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Mart wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:56 am On a similar vein, hasn't there been some news about ports possibly using electric tug boats in the future, in order to reduce local air pollution? Can't remember when or where I heard this, and not necessarily UK news, but perhaps it's a small (tiny) first step in the right direction. Also reminds me of something similar at airports where the us of tugs is being encouraged to reduce jet engine use. But I've no idea if these are electric yet.
I remember a guy from another place who worked on an electric ferry in Scotland. I wonder if he made the jump?

Tugs and other short-range vessels are a no-brainier for battery-electric propulsion.

Towing aircraft to the runway has been tried a few times to save fuel (whenever the price of oil peaks) but has been discounted because of safety. Running the jet engines under load for a few mins while taxiing is a good way to allow problems to show themselves before takeoff is attempted.

I imagine an electric tow aeroplane a bit like those used with gliders being a good solution. It could assist with takeoff detach at a few thousand ft, land and recharge… save fuel, extend the range of aircraft, save CO2, save localised pollution, etc.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)