Hybrid Series + Parallel setup to utilise a cheaper Solar Charge controller

Tay

Hybrid Series + Parallel setup to utilise a cheaper Solar Charge controller

Post by Tay »

I wouldnt have considered mixing series and parallel setups but I'm considering doing just that to keep the costs down.

I recently bought a 150/35 Victron solar charge controller for my 575w panels and it works great. But now i'm thinking about my fence design, I could reuse the 435w LONGi panels from the Pergola as they were pretty good, rubbish in shade though.

The voltages were fine for 2 panels (other the 435 LONGi or the Canadian Solar 575's) but when you start putting them together; in my case 2x2 on a shed type roof as seen below; the Volts and Amps get higher ^^

The current views from my neighbor after me saying the single line of panels would be prohibitively expensive, and I would prefer to go with a cut down version of my 2x3 with a 2x2 design instead, this gives us the shed type facilities that we want as part of the extra panels.

I could utilise my 2xLONGi panels and get 2 more (they are or were cheap), they are slightly smaller too at 1733x1134, compared to my preference of Canadian Solar 575T's at 2200x1134.
This makes the whole thing much smaller and acceptable by next door. Also technically I wouldn't need planning permission either as the highest part of the roof would be just under the 2.6m trigger.

Anyway, the issue at hand is no matter which combination I got for with either series or parallel i'd have to spend near on £500 for a high voltage or high amps unit.

However, if I did a mix of series and parallel I get the best of both worlds from a V and A point of view but is there a downside?.

Like this

If they are perfectly matched panels, what is the down side to mixing series/parallel?

thanks in advance
PV 1.1kWh
Victron Multiplus 8K II 48v/100A + Victron 150/35 charge controller + lynx 1000
CerboGX, 25kW Pylontech batteries
Octopus Agile - Cheaper Battery Charging
Another 2.3kWh on the horizon - ground mount+575's
Fintray

Re: Hybrid Series + Parallel setup to utilise a cheaper Solar Charge controller

Post by Fintray »

I have 18 panels on my garage roof and they are a combination of series and parallel (as will be many systems), 9 panels in series and both sets paralleled to connect to the inverter.
As long as you don't exceed the maximum voltage for the inverter you will be fine.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Tay

Re: Hybrid Series + Parallel setup to utilise a cheaper Solar Charge controller

Post by Tay »

tks, I wasnt sure if I had read something before but clearly not.

thanks for that, the cash saved on that Solarcharger pays for the new panels, assuming I can get some.
PV 1.1kWh
Victron Multiplus 8K II 48v/100A + Victron 150/35 charge controller + lynx 1000
CerboGX, 25kW Pylontech batteries
Octopus Agile - Cheaper Battery Charging
Another 2.3kWh on the horizon - ground mount+575's