Solar with Auto Start Genny

Thebeeman

Solar with Auto Start Genny

Post by Thebeeman »

I have a solar array which is wired so that when we lose mains the solar and now batteries are shut down. I am thinking of adding some more 'cheap' panels and inverter to a shed roof but they will be 200 mts from the main distribution for the site. So my question is "how would the new solar panels cope with seeing a generator instead of 'real' mains".
I had to get 4 quotes back in 2011 to find a installer that could even get their head around having a generator as the 'grid' and the potential problems from that, 3 were happy to install and see what would happen to the inverter.
Countrypaul

Re: Solar with Auto Start Genny

Post by Countrypaul »

A grid tied Inverter (GTI) will normally shutdown when mains power is lost, a hybrid inverter may have the option of two outputs one grid tied and one effectively a UPS that will still work until the batteries give up.

Most normal GTI will not work wih a generator from what I have read. One issue is what happens if you have a generator running and PV via a GTI outputting a low amount due to cloud, when the cloud vanishes the voltage can increase faster than the generator can shed it output - or if the load is not larger than the PV GTI output wherre does it go? This can cause damage to your equipment. A GTI is designed to output all the PV output onto the grid.
Better explanation here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:start

If you use a more advanced Inverter such as a Victron Multiplus II, this will allow any & all of generator input, grid input, PV input via a GTI and battery input. Additional PV can either be via a GTI or charge contoller direct to the batteries. If the grid goes down then the MP can start a generator, the MP has both grid tied output and non grid tied output. In the event of grid ging down the grid tied output will cease but the non grid tied will continue. The MP can still accept the ouput from your PV via GTI even when the grid is down (provided it is wired to do so),

If the shed is totally seperate from the grid, you should be looking at off-grid options ratwher than grid tied options, you may also need batteries to buffer the output .

The Victron site is a mine of information as they support both on grid and off grid options for marine and vehicle applications as well as static installations. This is one starting point: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/ ... ex-en.html
I don't have any Victron kit (yet!) but their site is very informative and has good explanations of many of the issues for both on grid and off grid options that can be applied to installations that use others kit. Victron have an extremely good reputation from what I have read and mightbe considered a Rolls-Royce type reputation for reliability and support.
Thebeeman

Re: Solar with Auto Start Genny

Post by Thebeeman »

Thanks for that CountryPaul. I'll have a think about putting the extras on the same roof as the existing array as I can then tap into the grid connection where the existing setup connects and the new panels/inverter will be safely isolated when the Genny is running. The roof I was hoping to use is slightly better orientated and lower.