Jean Pain Pile

MW0OMZ

Jean Pain Pile

Post by MW0OMZ »

I've been wanting to have a go at this for some time now
but sooo many other projects to finish first ;)

Permaculturenews.org article

Just 2 rules!
"Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see!"
"Don't believe everything that you believe!"
Stinsy

Re: Jean Pain Pile

Post by Stinsy »

There are a few parts of that article that caused me to raise an eyebrow.

When I got to:
Once compressed, it has all the same uses as other compressed gas, including running diesel engines with a slight modification to the carburetor.
I stopped reading…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:51 am There are a few parts of that article that caused me to raise an eyebrow.

When I got to:
Once compressed, it has all the same uses as other compressed gas, including running diesel engines with a slight modification to the carburetor.
I stopped reading…
:) :lol:
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stan

Post by Stan »

He used the methane to power a Citroen 2CX, amongst other things.
MW0OMZ

Post by MW0OMZ »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:51 am There are a few parts of that article that caused me to raise an eyebrow.

When I got to:
I stopped reading…
Yes, a mistake by the Permaculture writer.
Jean Pain piles are very much worth doing.
I wouldn't bother with the methane side of
things, but space heating and hot water at
60 degrees is very useful.

Just 2 rules!
"Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see!"
"Don't believe everything that you believe!"
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

MW0OMZ wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:18 am

When I got to:
I stopped reading…
Yes, a mistake by the Permaculture writer.
Jean Pain piles are very much worth doing.
I wouldn't bother with the methane side of
things, but space heating and hot water at
60 degrees is very useful.
When I read the article I loved the idea of spaceheating from composting piles. Plus thermosiphon, a cherry on the cake.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
robl

Post by robl »

I came across a guy who built a huge insulated rotating composter for heating his house - it rotates back and forth with a motor, and has a blower to bring in oxygen. It's a lot of work I think, but very interesting. I'd love to see it in action somehow! I briefly thought about making one, but there doesn't seem an easy way to dip your toe into something like that, and Mrs RobL thinks I'm mad enough already. Committing to a life of double mowing, drying, bagging, storing, etc seems like hard work. I think there is a fire risk too. I've had a go calculating how much biomass we could grow on our land, and I don't think it would quite be enough - I think 100m^2 could give enough dry material to release 1MWh of heat every year, if the right stuff is growing, so maybe we could get 2 or 3MWh. To make up the shortfall in winter I'd be wandering down the street "borrowing" green wheelie bins.... :roll: It's perhaps suitable for somebody with a huge "yard", and a sit on lawnmower.

https://mb-soft.com/public3/globalzl.html
4kWp solar, EV

Diy: MVHR, 150mm EWI, 15kWh batt, 2.4kW GSHP & no gas
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Wasn't one of the contributors to the old place getting his hot water from compost piles ? I seem to recall some photos of black HDPE pipe work and I think it was even used as their Avatar ??

Moxi
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

robl wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:25 pm I came across a guy who built a huge insulated rotating composter for heating his house - it rotates back and forth with a motor, and has a blower to bring in oxygen. It's a lot of work I think, but very interesting. I'd love to see it in action somehow! I briefly thought about making one, but there doesn't seem an easy way to dip your toe into something like that, and Mrs RobL thinks I'm mad enough already. Committing to a life of double mowing, drying, bagging, storing, etc seems like hard work. I think there is a fire risk too. I've had a go calculating how much biomass we could grow on our land, and I don't think it would quite be enough - I think 100m^2 could give enough dry material to release 1MWh of heat every year, if the right stuff is growing, so maybe we could get 2 or 3MWh. To make up the shortfall in winter I'd be wandering down the street "borrowing" green wheelie bins.... :roll: It's perhaps suitable for somebody with a huge "yard", and a sit on lawnmower.

https://mb-soft.com/public3/globalzl.html
The pile would have to be next to your house though and is bound to be a bit wiffy...
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:24 pm

The pile would have to be next to your house though and is bound to be a bit wiffy...

Not to mention aspergillus mould spores
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery