RMS messing about with a sand battery

AE-NMidlands

Re: RMS messing about with a sand battery

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:29 am Now gas has got more costly and we're more focussed on the environmental impact, it looks like electric storage heating is having a bit of a resurgence.
but (my) electricity is still 3.5 times the price of gas...
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:10 am
Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:29 am Now gas has got more costly and we're more focussed on the environmental impact, it looks like electric storage heating is having a bit of a resurgence.
Yes, but that's not the point, is it? The idea is to try and reduce curtailment of wind, or perhaps PV, generation by feeding the excess into a big thermal store and then using the heat to do something useful later.

There's also the option to use cheap (sometimes negatively priced) off-peak electricity and store it as heat for use when electricity is a lot more expensive.

I do exactly this with a Sunamp phase change thermal store. That either gets charged up by excess PV generation that we cannot use, or it gets charged up overnight when electricity is cheaper. Most of our hot water usage is when electricity is expensive, so this makes a great deal of sense.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Gareth J

Post by Gareth J »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:24 am
AE-NMidlands wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:10 am
Yes, but that's not the point, is it? The idea is to try and reduce curtailment of wind, or perhaps PV, generation by feeding the excess into a big thermal store and then using the heat to do something useful later.

There's also the option to use cheap (sometimes negatively priced) off-peak electricity and store it as heat for use when electricity is a lot more expensive.

I do exactly this with a Sunamp phase change thermal store. That either gets charged up by excess PV generation that we cannot use, or it gets charged up overnight when electricity is cheaper. Most of our hot water usage is when electricity is expensive, so this makes a great deal of sense.

I do this with our wind turbine. Not to the level of your chapel experience unfortunately, and not enough buffer/total generation to make do without burning something too. But same in principle. Blowing a gale an the house is currently toasty as TS is full and heat is being dumped elsewhere. At grid scale, no turbine should be turned off while people in the vicinity are burning stuff to keep warm. It should be a win, win. Scaled up, I think that heat pumps and boreholes are a more likely useful form of big thermal storage. No thermal medium costs, no insulation costs.