Smart meter

Update your annual/monthly generation data. Please list system details in first post.
ecogeorge

Smart meter

Post by ecogeorge »

Have just aquired a smart meter.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... tdI3UwnNmS
Like this .....
Need one in the future to use benefits of Ripple.
Hoping to negate future time of use charging with solar, load shifting, batteries ??
Any ideas to view this remotely via web ??
George
1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.
Paul_F

Re: Smart meter

Post by Paul_F »

I think this is your only option - they have a simpler version, but only for SMETS1.
https://shop.glowmarkt.com/products/dis ... -customers
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

Try the Hugo app?
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

ecogeorge wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:01 pm Have just aquired a smart meter.
Like this .....
George
No you don't... This seems to be a common misconception
Ripple returns just get knocked off your Octopus (or some other) bill. You will need it to benefit from Octopus TOU tarrifs.

A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:22 am
ecogeorge wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:01 pm Have just aquired a smart meter.
Like this .....
George
No you don't... This seems to be a common misconception
Ripple returns just get knocked off your Octopus (or some other) bill. You will need it to benefit from Octopus TOU tarrifs.

A

This is the core issue - needing ANY ToU tariff (as a new customer of Octopus) needs a smart meter. If a smart meter cannot be fitted they will not accept you as a new customer, and hence you cannot get the Ripple benefit at the moment.

I've tried, they don't want to accept me as a new customer with my existing (two and half year old) Economy 7 meter. If a smart meter could be fitted here then they would accept me OK. This seems fair enough, they are targeting their business model around trying to only supply customers with smart meters in future, I believe. Makes a lot of sense for them, but is a bit irritating for the few million that, for one reason or another, cannot have one, as it restricts supplier choice a fair bit.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Thebeeman

Post by Thebeeman »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:01 am
This is the core issue - needing ANY ToU tariff (as a new customer of Octopus) needs a smart meter. If a smart meter cannot be fitted they will not accept you as a new customer, and hence you cannot get the Ripple benefit at the moment.

I've tried, they don't want to accept me as a new customer with my existing (two and half year old) Economy 7 meter. If a smart meter could be fitted here then they would accept me OK. This seems fair enough, they are targeting their business model around trying to only supply customers with smart meters in future, I believe. Makes a lot of sense for them, but is a bit irritating for the few million that, for one reason or another, cannot have one, as it restricts supplier choice a fair bit.
I swapped to Octopus from EDF in October with a early 1st. Gen Smart Meter and with a lot of email pushing they are going to try to fit a 'New' meter but if that does not work they will install a Eco7 meter. I would suggest a bit or a lot of chasing via email, that way you have an audit trail if you choose to complain to OFGEM later.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Thebeeman wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:04 am
Oldgreybeard wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:01 am

I swapped to Octopus from EDF in October with a early 1st. Gen Smart Meter and with a lot of email pushing they are going to try to fit a 'New' meter but if that does not work they will install a Eco7 meter. I would suggest a bit or a lot of chasing via email, that way you have an audit trail if you choose to complain to OFGEM later.

Thanks, they have told me that they will not accept us as a new customer as they are aware that SSE tried to get a smart meter to work here and had to swap it over to an E7 one. I think if the order was as you describe, with them accepting us as customers, trying to fit a smart meter, it not working and them having to fall back to an E7 meter it might have been OK.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
Thebeeman

Post by Thebeeman »

From what I've read and heard they cannot refuse new customers even with Smart Meter issues. I would start an email trail of attempts to move and if it fails them OFGEM "should" be your next move.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

To be honest, as they have made it so difficult to try and become a customer I've reached the point where I don't really think I want to do business with them. My only reason for trying has been to invest in Ripple, and if I can find another way to do that and get the dividend paid to someone that needs it that's what I will do.
Thebeeman

Post by Thebeeman »

Once I'd pushed them into accepting me and then had an account with them the system seems to have improved , quick replies to emails etc. Also I can see and do a lot via my account 'dashboard'. I think it's worth the pursuit, from reading on here and my service since the move I'm glad I pushed.