Should I get a smart meter?

SafetyThird

Should I get a smart meter?

Post by SafetyThird »

Now that we’re past the SMETS1 debacle, are there reasons not to get a smart meter?

Tarries like octopus require one and I’m looking to potentially change my supplier in the near future if they allow it, many companies aren’t taking new customers currently.

As I have solar pv, there was some concern that a smart meter might put fit payments at risk if I wasn’t exporting as much as might be ‘deemed’ but I don’t think smart meters register export, do they?

Other than unknown privacy issues, are there any reasons ‘not’ to get a smart meter?
6kw PV (24 x REC Solar AS REC 250PE)
Clausius 5-25kw GSHP
Luxpower Squirrel Pod
Pylontech 21kwh
Eddi Diverter
250l hot water tank with 2 immersions
2 x Woodwarm stoves
7 acres of old coppice woodland
Ripple Kirk Hill 3.8kw
Ripple Derril Water 3.963 kW
Fintray

Re: Should I get a smart meter?

Post by Fintray »

My smart meter registers export and Octopus credits me for this, there won't be any change to your deemed exports as that is what was agreed by the fit's payment company, which of course doesn't have to be the company you get your electricity from, I'm with Octopus but my fit's payments come from SSE (N.B. I do not get deemed export payments as I decided to get paid for all my exports).
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

SafetyThird wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:33 pm Now that we’re past the SMETS1 debacle, are there reasons not to get a smart meter?

Yes there are reasons not to get one. Pros-cons as with everything in life.

Tarries like octopus require one and I’m looking to potentially change my supplier in the near future if they allow it, many companies aren’t taking new customers currently.

Smart meters are required for all ToU tariffs going forward, that is a reason making many people choose a smart meter.

As I have solar pv, there was some concern that a smart meter might put fit payments at risk if I wasn’t exporting as much as might be ‘deemed’ but I don’t think smart meters register export, do they?

As far as I'm aware there is no link between smart meters and FiTs.

Other than unknown privacy issues, are there any reasons ‘not’ to get a smart meter?

This depends where you are on the conspiracy theory spectrum. The key issue for many people is that smart meters all contain a remote accessible switch. This might be used in future to disconnect non-paying customers or to "load shed" in an emergency. In California they cut whole neighbourhoods off for hours at a time when there isn't enough power to go around (a regular occurrence in summer), but the rich neighbourhoods seem to be exempt from these blackouts. Some people are very concerned that smart meters could be used to cut off (or threaten) those considered "undesirable".
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Stig

Post by Stig »

I also get FITs from SSE but my electricity & gas from Eon. I'm on deemed 50% export for FITs so SSE aren't interested in what the smart meter says - they probably don't even know I had one fitted last year.

Interestingly, I just checked and I've exported 646kWhr and imported 705kWhr in the last 12 months having generated 1800kWhr. Not a great year for PV (I'd expect around 2000kWhr) but I'm pretty much neutral in electricity (but do burn 3000-4000kWhr of gas for heating & cooking :( )

[For those that are keeping score I have a 2kWp PV system]
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

Thanks, that’s very useful. I’m not very high up the conspiracy tree, my battery setup will help protect me from any blackouts and my Honda generator will back that up :)

So, the next question is whether to do the change now while I’m with good energy or to switch to octopus amd get them to do it
Clausius 5-25kw GSHP
Luxpower Squirrel Pod
Pylontech 21kwh
Eddi Diverter
2 x Woodwarm stoves
Ripple Kirk Hill 3.8kw
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Why not ask them both what is the likely wait for getting one fitted, then make your choice.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

SafetyThird wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:46 pm Thanks, that’s very useful. I’m not very high up the conspiracy tree, my battery setup will help protect me from any blackouts and my Honda generator will back that up :)

So, the next question is whether to do the change now while I’m with good energy or to switch to octopus amd get them to do it
Took 2 years and a complaint directly to the CEO of my energy company to get a smart meter fitted.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
SafetyThird

Post by SafetyThird »

Fintray wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:50 pm Why not ask them both what is the likely wait for getting one fitted, then make your choice.
Being on holiday I’ve probably had one G&T too many to have come up with that. Sounds like a solid plan. Thanks.
Clausius 5-25kw GSHP
Luxpower Squirrel Pod
Pylontech 21kwh
Eddi Diverter
2 x Woodwarm stoves
Ripple Kirk Hill 3.8kw