Plan to cut energy bills if you avoid peak-time use - might go National

Bugtownboy

Re: Plan to cut energy bills if you avoid peak-time use - might go National

Post by Bugtownboy »

Would it just be mileage though ? Motorway charged higher than A roads, then B roads ?

Travel at different times of the day charged at higher rates ?

Surely if cars are being equipped with GPS, the option/basic technology to log all journeys is already in place. Could also log any speeding discretions.

Or would all that be too Big Brother’ish.
cojmh

Post by cojmh »

Well that is true .... the granularity of what they could charge for will be much lower.

A lot of newer cars have big brother monitoring ... but those of us with older cars won't be trackable. That said they could end up just putting in flat rate charges which seems to be what they like to do if they cannot monitor you.
nowty

Post by nowty »

We had an earlier thread regarding the new smart EV charging regulations. There was some very scary stuff in the consultation which seems to have been dropped (for now) like the ability to meter leccy into your EV even if it's "behind the meter", i.e. from your own generation.
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=36&t=595

And there is a video about the first phase here, note - "first phase", there will be more phases and those phases will likely do more consultation.
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... =36&t=1017
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:11 pm We had an earlier thread regarding the new smart EV charging regulations. There was some very scary stuff in the consultation which seems to have been dropped (for now) like the ability to meter leccy into your EV even if it's "behind the meter", i.e. from your own generation.
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=36&t=595

And there is a video about the first phase here, note - "first phase", there will be more phases and those phases will likely do more consultation.
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... =36&t=1017
Reminds me of how, in Italy, self consumption is illegal. You have to sell any power you generate to the power company (for a pittance) and buy it back (for a much higher price).

As with many things in Italy, this law is widely flouted!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
marshman

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gareth J

Post by Gareth J »

Like the concept of a tyre tax, kind of makes sense; those doing the most tractive work burn the most "fuel" and wear the roads the most. Think it would be unworkable though, tyres would be astronomical and there'd be an insane s/h market and theft incentive. Then tyre manufacturers would be incentivised to make borderline dangerously hard wearing compounds and people would be out dremmeling an extra 2mm depth to save a few hundred pounds.

I suspect the long term plan is to not worry too much and hope that non owned driverless cars become dominant. Much easier to sneak some taxes into there.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

I think tyre tax would simply be on top of any road tax TBH, & marked up not on mileage but on cost of every tyre to take in the slack.
Others who have mentioned (as did I) based on atypical use & pollution, ...we know recycling tyres is an issue, so it would be marketed in a multitude of ways that pushes towards the acceptable within the public psyche / "how far can we push it" attitude from government.

The MOT mileage registering & all that would have to run 12 months behind (I anticipate) which govt would not enjoy, & your mileage /costs split into a monthly environmental charge, this leads me to think that MOT's (a necessary & welcome thing) would remain as is, either that or garages would have to email appointments to get mileage checked & registered more frequently ''possibly every 6 months ( a five minute thing) likely meaning small bored lads employed to input data) this means, MOT tyre & exhaust places of today would still have trade on tap for whatever they then morph to pick up the slack, (new opportunities to sell product, likely involving auto car washes if the ex garage forecourts of blighty are to go by.

Might seem like pie in the sky, but if you "have to attend" on a mandatory basis then soft soap sell, literally, it becomes a painless transition for modern folk used to doorstep grocery & fast food deliveries, ie the public mindset is pretty much there.

less feathers ruffled by means of process, ..that costs us more in the long run.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more