DIY battery storage commissioning

nowty

Re: DIY battery storage commissioning

Post by nowty »

Going back to the original query, I see no problem of a Part P spark doing the connecting up and the OP doing the DNO paperwork, several on here have done that. You just put "n/a (self installed)" in the qualification section unless you have some appropriate qualification.
I put CEng MIET (retired) on mine. ;)

As the hardware is type tested and certificated, the DNO is unlikely to object or request witnessed testing.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

nowty wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:47 pm Going back to the original query, I see no problem of a Part P spark doing the connecting up and the OP doing the DNO paperwork, several on here have done that. You just put "n/a (self installed)" in the qualification section unless you have some appropriate qualification.
I put CEng MIET (retired) on mine. ;)

As the hardware is type tested and certificated, the DNO is unlikely to object or request witnessed testing.
You're absolutely right, Nowty. I did exactly this. I had two cables that were put in as a part of the house build, and were terminated in waterproof boxes. Both ran to the consumer unit as spares, both were listed in the installation chit and signed off as a part of the original installation. Both were therefore "existing circuits) so when I wired one to the inverter grid and the other to the inverter ESS I wasn't breaking any laws at all. I did change the RCBOs, to suit the inverter max power, but that didn't need Part P approval. All I did was tell the DNO that were were now using almost all of the old G59 maximum export we'd been approved to use. Got a one line email back from the DNO acknowledging that we were still within our 2013 G59 approval limit.

As a side note it is very worth keeping all records securely for year. Thanks to a recent run in with an obnoxious busy body over our new stone wall that's being built, and the repercussions when they made a complaint to Wessex Water about us breaking a water main (all completely false) it was very useful to dig out the old correspondence from 2011 to 2013, print it out, and hand it to Wessex Water. They came back this morning, and were over the moon at having a paper trail that included emails and plans from a couple of their members of staff that have long since retired. I even got an email from Wessex Water this afternoon thanking me for having provided them with so much information that was missing from their records (why it was missing remains a mystery!).
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Yes I agree with Nowty and OGB, thats how I did my system, my electrician did all the part P stuff on the AC side and ran the cables and I set up the DC side.

On the paperwork I noted self-installed for the DC and Electrician for the AC and gave my electricians qualifications and my own, in this case CEng MIMechE but they are not worried about the DC side as long as the inverter is type tested and on their register.

Moxi
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Moxi wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:42 pm Yes I agree with Nowty and OGB, thats how I did my system, my electrician did all the part P stuff on the AC side and ran the cables and I set up the DC side.

On the paperwork I noted self-installed for the DC and Electrician for the AC and gave my electricians qualifications and my own, in this case CEng MIMechE but they are not worried about the DC side as long as the inverter is type tested and on their register.

Moxi
I was musing the other day that one of the big missed opportunities was the planned merger of the (then) IEE and IMechE which in the end never happened.

Then you, me and Nowty would have ended up in the same Institution. It seems that there is a good complement of (retired) Chartered Engineers on here!
16 x 230W Upsolar panels S Devon, 4kW Steca, 3.9 MWh FITs/yr
8 x 405W Longi panels, 250/60 MPPT, 3.3 MWh/yr
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50
10.65 kWh Pylontec Force-L2
zappi 7kW EVCS
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

:( Not quite old enough to have retired yet - 53 years old, 7 kids ranging in age from 25 to 5 months old, I am getting very close to going part time and picking my roles for their technical interest etc but having watched my late father retire early and rapidly deteriorate mentally and then physically I have long since vowed to keep working for as long as people will employ me :D

Yes I never understood why they (the institutes) did not merge, there's a lot of pressure on the IMechE at the minute to determine what to do with Birdcage Walk which is in need of a lot of work to keep it going. Whilst its an iconic building I have to admit that something more modern functional and located centrally in the country with more regional satellite offices seemed a more sensible proposition.

Anyway, that was my view lol.

Cheers

Moxi
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

Moxi wrote. “On the paperwork I noted self-installed for the DC and Electrician for the AC and gave my electricians qualifications and my own, “

I was on the QE2 twice when it shut down. :oops: Met the Captain on both occasions.

Would that be enough information for the paper work. :roll:
nowty

Post by nowty »

ALAN/ALAN D wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:16 am
I was on the QE2 twice when it shut down. :oops: Met the Captain on both occasions.
I was in the Persian Gulf last year doing some research on renewable power.

I had never actually seen the QE2 before and was surprised that's where it now lives, it looks quite small, compared to today's standards.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3