Octopus Agile vs Go

Swwils

Re: Octopus Agile vs Go

Post by Swwils »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:22 pm The real money is to be made by being on Go/IO (or whatever) with a big battery and have your nextdoor neighbour on outgoing.

I've been suspicious for some time that more than one member on here is doing that!
I think somewhere I read that "brown" exports are technically against the octopus TOS... They technically are for the FIT and SEG aswell but mostly ignored.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Swwils wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:04 pm
Stinsy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:22 pm The real money is to be made by being on Go/IO (or whatever) with a big battery and have your nextdoor neighbour on outgoing.

I've been suspicious for some time that more than one member on here is doing that!
I think somewhere I read that "brown" exports are technically against the octopus TOS... They technically are for the FIT and SEG aswell but mostly ignored.
Yes for FITs but not true for SEG, the legislation for SEG says a supplier does not have to pay for brown generation but they can choose to.
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/ ... _final.pdf

Brown vs green export
4.26. Green Export is electricity generated by an eligible installation solely from one of the
eligible low carbon energy sources.
4.27. A SEG licensee is only obliged to make SEG Payments for renewable electricity that
is exported (“Green Export”) by an eligible installation.
4.28. Where the export meter for an eligible installation also records, but cannot
determine the amount of, electricity exported from another source (“Brown
Export”), a SEG licensee is not obliged to make SEG payments but they can if they
wish. Examples of “brown export” may include export from a non-SEG eligible
installation, from co-located storage that is charged from a source in addition to or
other than the SEG eligible technology or from a standby generator.
4.29. A SEG licensee can choose to make a SEG payment for all export recognising that it
includes a combination of green and brown export.
Alternatively, they may require a
generator to install suitable metering to calculate the brown export and deduct that
from the overall exported electricity. Or they may pro-rate output or use estimates
to calculate the green export.

For Octopus Outgoing,
https://octopus.energy/blog/outgoing/

Outgoing Octopus is best for homes with significant renewable generation, but you don’t HAVE to be generating energy to benefit.

Join Outgoing Octopus and use home batteries (or your EV battery, if you've got hold of a vehicle-to-grid charger...) to take advantage of low consumption prices on our Agile tariff and high export rates on Outgoing Octopus. It’s a balancing act.

Store electricity at times of the day when the Agile prices are super low or even negative (on December 8 2018 Agile dropped to -2.31p per kWh). Then export from your battery when energy on the grid is most in demand, and most expensive. Not only are you powering your home with cheaper stored energy, but supporting the grid when energy is in high demand, and making money off anything extra you export.
Last edited by nowty on Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Oh Nice.

Maybe this is meant to encourage interconnects?