Running the heating from battery power

chris_n

Re: Running the heating from battery power

Post by chris_n »

nowty wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:25 pm
chris_n wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:23 pm Probably take it down to a C because the primary heating is electric :roll:
I was thinking they probably won't like the storage heaters. :evil:

Back to the 1970's. :roll:
Or the GSHP or the ASHP or the solar diverter! The system is a little behind the times!
Living the dream in Austria.
Uk property 3.75kW PV linked to 3kW inverter.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

chris_n wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:47 pm
nowty wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:25 pm
chris_n wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:23 pm Probably take it down to a C because the primary heating is electric :roll:
I was thinking they probably won't like the storage heaters. :evil:

Back to the 1970's. :roll:
Or the GSHP or the ASHP or the solar diverter! The system is a little behind the times!
I argued with the EPC assessor over the way the system treated both our heat pump and the PV driven water heating, but he was adamant that both had to be treated as direct electric heating under the way that the EPC was set up. Not at all sure why, but in our case it was really a moot point as the same daft EPC system gave our primary energy "consumption" as minus 35kWh/m²/year (i.e. a net energy export of 4,550kWh/year).

I don't think that the people that created the EPC methodology ever considered the principles of the PassivHaus movement, even though Dr Wolfgang Feist built the first PassivHaus a decade or two before the EPC system was created. This article describing the first PassivHaus in Darmstadt describes well the resistance to change in the building industry, something I encountered here 30 years later: https://blog.passivehouse-international ... ang-feist/ .

Perhaps we should start a "league table" thread listing the Energy Efficiency and Environmental Impact scores we've each managed to achieve. I'm reasonably sure that our place would be at the top, but a league table might act as a bit of encouragement for others to see how they could improve. I think I have a copy of the Stroma EPC assessment software somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it out, as it's not that hard to fill in the data and get a score.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
marshman

Post by marshman »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:56 pm Perhaps we should start a "league table" thread listing the Energy Efficiency and Environmental Impact scores we've each managed to achieve. I'm reasonably sure that our place would be at the top, but a league table might act as a bit of encouragement for others to see how they could improve. I think I have a copy of the Stroma EPC assessment software somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it out, as it's not that hard to fill in the data and get a score.
I think the simplest thing to do would just be to quote an actual kWh/m2 figure for heating. Any sort of "assessment procedure" such as the EPC will not give a picture of real world energy consumption. There are so many factors, climate, life style, room set temperature ( some on here seem happy at 16 deg C and others at 25 deg C - massive difference) Some keep the house warm 24/7 if they are at home all day, others who have to work don't. Some heat the whole house, others just some rooms as necessary, I could go on ....
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:56 pm Perhaps we should start a "league table" thread listing the Energy Efficiency and Environmental Impact scores we've each managed to achieve. I'm reasonably sure that our place would be at the top, but a league table might act as a bit of encouragement for others to see how they could improve. I think I have a copy of the Stroma EPC assessment software somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it out, as it's not that hard to fill in the data and get a score.
I would be very interested in this, I have spent a fair bit of time improving insulation since I bought this house back in 2014. Calculating the EPC impact of the improvements plus seeing what others have done would be very useful.
On a related note, I plan to complete a heat loss calculation to start laying the groundwork for ASHP installation in the future, I'd be intrigued to see if others have done this too.
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
64kWh Kia E-Niro
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:18 pm @Nowty, you just know what's coming below, don't you? :D

Full EPC, as built, from 2016:

EPC.jpg

The way the EPC system is structured means that, in theory, an EPC score of 100 is a zero energy home. Anything over 100 is technically a power station, in that the house exports more energy over a year than it uses.
This illustrates the stupidity of the "official" dumbed-down assessments, done to a tick-box list by "trained" assessors. An acquaintance is one and he says that even though pv and immersion heaters are clearly the best option for lots of houses, whatever their current performance it still says "Fit solar thermal!"
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I thought this a relevant thread. Just signed up for my next Go contract from 01/01/23. Up from 5.5p to 12p per kWh. :shock:

Nonetheless, I feel 😇.

It will make the game increasingly interesting in the run up to Kirkhill coming online.

I have zero worries.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63798506
Last edited by Joeboy on Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:54 pm
Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:18 pm @Nowty, you just know what's coming below, don't you? :D

Full EPC, as built, from 2016:

EPC.jpg

The way the EPC system is structured means that, in theory, an EPC score of 100 is a zero energy home. Anything over 100 is technically a power station, in that the house exports more energy over a year than it uses.
This illustrates the stupidity of the "official" dumbed-down assessments, done to a tick-box list by "trained" assessors. An acquaintance is one and he says that even though pv and immersion heaters are clearly the best option for lots of houses, whatever their current performance it still says "Fit solar thermal!"
And a fecking wind turbine !
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

The thing to note with those really stupid recommendations on the EPC is the arithmetic and the complete absence of common sense. The solar thermal (which is daft as we use the PV to heat the water) gives a capital cost of £4,000 to £6,000 and a saving of £195 over three years. Using the mid-range capital cost that is a repayment time of nearly 77 years. Much the same for the wind turbine (ignoring that we are at the bottom of a steep, heavily wooded, valley), the cost of that is given as between £1,500 and £4,000 and a saving of £258 over three years, so using the middle of that range gives a repayment time of nearly 32 years.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter