Lux Power Squirrel Pod

Robfitz

Lux Power Squirrel Pod

Post by Robfitz »

Looking for some advice.

I’m looking at getting a battery installed Q1 this year to complement an existing 4kw solar install and had been looking at the Giv Energy Bat9.5 and Giv AC 3.0 inverter. I’ve since read a bit about the Lux Squirrel pod where you have two inverter/battery stacks and can charge/discharge at a higher rate. Is this common practice and is there much of a benefit in reality? Would be looking at the twin inverter with a total of 12.8kw of batteries.

I’m intending to go for an ASHP in due course, maybe later this year if the house doesn’t need too much other stuff doing to make it viable.
SMA Sunnyboy 3.6kw / 16*250w PV panels south facing (2014 FIT-era)
Stinsy

Re: Lux Power Squirrel Pod

Post by Stinsy »

Generally 3 or 3.6kW is plenty of inverter power for most people. Houses rarely consume more than this and it is very fleeting when they do. However a heat pump is genuinely a reason for a bigger inverter. A dual squirrel pod setup is one way to achieve faster charge/discharge rates but there are plenty of “5kW” inverters these days.

Be aware you need permission from the DNO for more than 3.6kW of inverter capacity.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Robfitz

Post by Robfitz »

Thanks 👍

Do you need permission from the DNO if it is purely to store/power the house? I’m intending to leave the existing solar inverter unchanged.
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

If you meet certain conditions you can notify the DNO in retrospect. Since it varies by DNO your best bet is to look on their website for details of the process.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels in S Devon, ~3.9 MWh/year
8 x 405W Longi panels, 3.355 MWh/yr projected
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50 with 250/60 MPPT
3 x Pylontec 3.55 kWh Force-L2
zappi 7kW EV charger
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Robfitz wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:25 pm Thanks 👍

Do you need permission from the DNO if it is purely to store/power the house? I’m intending to leave the existing solar inverter unchanged.
It is the inverter capacity the DNO cares about. Basically they need to ensure your local LV grid can cope in worst case scenario (all your inverters discharging at full whack in the middle of summer when your neighbour's solar is also exporting at full whack). They don't care that your inverters are designed to export nothing.
Last edited by Stinsy on Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

I have this config, although must admit to be at a bit of a loss as to where the term “Squirrel Pod” comes from!

I have 2 x Lux ACS3600 LXP units configured as a master/slave pair, each one has 3 x Pylon US2000 batteries, so a total of 14.4kWh of storage. I did have a single unit until last summer, with all the batteries on the single Lux unit I had at the time.

I’m in the process of adding a “Chinese stack” of 13.4 kWh to each, thus giving a significant storage upgrade. I’m expecting delivery in the next week or so, 🤞.

A couple of points to watch out for:

My original Lux unit died when it was less than a year old, my new one has an issue which I suspect will see it being replaced under warranty. My brother has an identical config and had both his units replaced when they went bang at six months old. I strongly suggest getting the extended warranty!

I found that 3.6kW wasn’t enough - hence the upgrade to 7.2.

The units will only support 3.6 with 3 Pylontech batteries. A single battery will give 1.2kW, two gives 2.4kW and 3 or more gives the full 3.6kW of charge/discharge power rating. The batteries also start limiting charge/discharge current with temperatures below about 12 degrees c, so location is an issue.

Some people have allegedly had issues with the UK distributor not being that responsive, so if you do need to get help at any point then please persist. I’ve also seen finger pointing between the installer and distributor.

I’m not sure I agree about the DNO issue as you could charge from solar without having any impact on the grid - surely.

Hope these comments help

Rob
Robfitz

Post by Robfitz »

Thanks for the info.

What was it that made you decide 3.6 wasn’t enough?

A friend of mine has had no issues with the givenergy setup and their Uk support is meant to be quite good. Just doesn’t lend itself to being as modular and seems a bit more expensive.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Lincs Robert wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:40 pm
I’m not sure I agree about the DNO issue as you could charge from solar without having any impact on the grid - surely.
As Stinsy has previously indicated you need pre install permission from the DNO for more than 3.6kW of inverter power connected to the grid. Whether it gets charged from solar or the grid is irrelevant. Its the fact that the inverter power unit is connected to the grid that makes it so.

The OP already has a 4kW solar install so an additional single 3.6kW squirrel pod would require a G99 fast track application and 2 x 3.6kW squirrel pod's would require a full G99 application to the DNO.

That's the official line although some fly under the radar.

Example from my DNO for an installation exceeding 3.68kW of inverter power,
https://www.ssen.co.uk/our-services/new ... w-or-less/
16.9kW PV > 104MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3