Battery rack plans

Swwils

Re: Battery rack plans

Post by Swwils »

openspaceman wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:07 pm
Swwils wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:13 pm Alternatively just find a used server cab..if you are flexible with pickup then deals to be had.

Some server cabinets only seem to be 350mm deep and the pylontech 3000s are about 450mm front to back including handles.

I much want to increase my storage with 3 3000s so will need a cabinet but I guess I will need a separate inverter as they won't parallel with my growatt system.
That's a media or comms rack - racks for actual blades will accommodate 29" rails since most servers are 28" deep.
marshman

Post by marshman »

Before going ahead with a second hybrid inverter, do some research and make sure the new inverter and the growatt inverter will "play nicely" together. Not all inverters do and they can end up "fighting" each other, one discharging to supply the "demand" of the other.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

marshman wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:18 pm Before going ahead with a second hybrid inverter, do some research and make sure the new inverter and the growatt inverter will "play nicely" together. Not all inverters do and they can end up "fighting" each other, one discharging to supply the "demand" of the other.
A 2nd hybrid will always be a challenge if the two aren’t designed to work together. A simple solution would be to have one working as normal to target zero import/export and to use the other as a battery charger and maybe discharging at a fixed 200W (or whatever) the rest of the time.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Interesting and thanks for the warning Marshman and Stinsy.

I'll post a bit more on my thread on the additional panels once they get mounted but my current inverters are not hybrids, the Solarmax is my original plain inverter 10 years old now, working fine. The Growatt is ac coupled and cannot export to the grid. I can switch it off when empty or full if necessary.

Whatever I do next I want to be a more "open" architecture and that will run islanded. So I am considering lashing out on an all singing and dancing Victron 5kVA multiplus, I know it will never pay back for me but I can indulge myself when the next FIT payment arrives.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
nowty

Post by nowty »

You will still experience the same issues with an AC battery inverter and a hybrid inverter on the same leccy phase. Sounds like you might be better off selling on the Growatt AC battery inverter if your going to upgrade to the big Victron.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
ChrisJEvans

Post by ChrisJEvans »

I have some similar battery rack questions so thought it best to ask here rather than start a new topic.
My 2 Pylontech US3000C batteries are going in the corner of a loft room next to the inverter. The room has floorboards and tongued and grooved walls and is only accessible via a loft ladder.
I've been looking out for a second hand server rack but no joy so was thinking of building one using rack strips like:these? £6.16 + post!
I could mount them horizontally as is most common or let them sit on their rear vertically.
If horizontal one side would be the tongued and grooved wall and the other a sheet of 1"ply Do I need to line the sides with a sheet of metal or fire retardant fibre board. The inverter is on Fibre board
If I sit them on the floor vertically should I put fibre board under them?
15 x JA SOLAR 385W JAM60S20MR (9 facing East 6 facing South)
Solis S5-EH1P6K-L Hybrid Inverter.
4 x Pylontech US3000
ChrisJEvans

Post by ChrisJEvans »

Swwils wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:09 pm Probably easier to just get rack strip and then mounting brackets on each battery corner.

Any idea where I can get these brackets from?
I've tried ebay, CPC and googling
TIA
15 x JA SOLAR 385W JAM60S20MR (9 facing East 6 facing South)
Solis S5-EH1P6K-L Hybrid Inverter.
4 x Pylontech US3000
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

ChrisJEvans wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:02 am I have some similar battery rack questions so thought it best to ask here rather than start a new topic.
My 2 Pylontech US3000C batteries are going in the corner of a loft room next to the inverter. The room has floorboards and tongued and grooved walls and is only accessible via a loft ladder.
I've been looking out for a second hand server rack but no joy so was thinking of building one using rack strips like:these? £6.16 + post!
I could mount them horizontally as is most common or let them sit on their rear vertically.
If horizontal one side would be the tongued and grooved wall and the other a sheet of 1"ply Do I need to line the sides with a sheet of metal or fire retardant fibre board. The inverter is on Fibre board
If I sit them on the floor vertically should I put fibre board under them?
No need to overthink it. You can just make something out of wood if you like. There is no fire risk.

Server racks are often priced assuming £100k of computers are going in there…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
marshman

Post by marshman »

AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

At £11 a pair I was thinking of short lengths of the modern equivalent of Dexion instead. My rack will be enclosed (and hence hidden from view) anyway, even if only by expanded metal, so appearance won't matter. 4 vertical hangers and then ┌ and ┐ c/s side bars should do it. Maybe full-length side supports for some and 2 or 3 inches front and back for the other batteries...
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!