ALAN/ALAN D

ifePO4 batteries in outside shed.

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

Hello Ladies / Gents.
ifePO4 batteries in outside shed.

Various sites saying don't charge below 10 deg C
Others saying don't charge below 0 deg C

Will mounting them on 50MM KINGSPAN THERMAFLOOR TF70 PIR INSULATION BOARD
With same board around all sides keep them warm enough in an outside shed. ?

Inside house or outside in shed. ?
AGT

Re: ifePO4 batteries in outside shed.

Post by AGT »

Difficult to say without seeing how leaky the shed is

But a small thermostat controlled tubular heater as sold by TLC would keep the temps up
marshman

Post by marshman »

Depends how you are using them and where you are, i.e. ambient temp.
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

The reality depends on local climate (are you in Scotland or Cornwall, sea level or 1000ft), the construction of the shed, and how hard you’re running the batteries.

However putting 50mm of celotex under and around the cells seems like a good idea. As does a small heater and frost ‘stat.
Last edited by Stinsy on Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

I would put them inside if at all possible, insulation will slow down the heatloss a bit, but you will need to supply some heat to keep them warm-ish.
They are a big investment that needs looking after IMHO

Desp
Blah blah blah
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Stinsy wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:09 am As does a small heater and frost ‘stat.
Trace heating tape can be got with a thermostat plus some have resistance which increases more than normal with temperature, limiting the power consumed. I used it on the water supply to some portacabin offices successfully.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
AGT

Post by AGT »

Plus one to the trace heating tape, used the self regulating stuff and it’s all good
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

My main concern about having them in the house is the fire risk of the JK-BMS balance system. :(
Even fitting a fuse to every cell balance cable will not stop the balance board P.C.B. from having a bad day.

I am not going to compress the batteries with studding / spring loading. Because the solid links bolted across the battery terminals could cause the terminals to crack open with the expansion / contraction.

Any one got concerns about the BMS system having a bad day.
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

TBH, I don't know enough about the risks of various components failure to offer an opinion. I am told the fire risk of this battery chemistry is low, also my stack of pylons and all its wiring is mounted as best I can against fire proof surfaces, a smoke alarm is fitted just above and two pretty beefy CO2 fire extinguishers stand next to it.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Personally a "seasonally adjustable" planned battery shed is the way its likely to go for public consumption on a wider scale, esp in light of the perception caused by grenfell towards "allsorts" this is going to tighten regs for battery long term imho.

So, a shed that can be both aired (mechanical draw & extraction) & insulated & shaded.

A temp regulated system (maybe an inkbird hot & cold) for starters, vermin proof mesh bottom venting that can be insulated in off season.. left open other times, so no baking hot metal roofs unless insulated below & reflective paint up top?

Ask a brewer how they would design a dedicated brew shed, which often incorporates, inkbird units, tube heaters, fermenter insulation & the like, & maybe someone who hot & cold smokes in a combined unit, all will produce likely cheap solutions to implement.

A visit to costco to check out the physical attributes of the metal reinforced "lifetime" range of storage & if that could be a starter for ten, (would have to be freestanding racks as walls wouldn't take it, but at least increased airflow & not thin crud like the expensive keter range, insulate then line out with hardiebacker as if you were sorting a wbs.

Take the approach in design that someone from the council would visit & also insurance premium prevention (build quality & theft potential) & maybe a friendly planner in the council, ask them how they think battery storage erm.."storage" is going to shape up, ..you'd probably receive a favourable response to a project that has no regs "yet"

Don't think you can put your foot through a lifetime unit, unlike a keter.
Link to give an idea of wall type..

https://www.costco.co.uk/Garden-Sheds-P ... /p/1572127

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9644663 ... &gclsrc=ds
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more