Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Stinsy

Re: Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Post by Stinsy »

nrgbod wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:28 pm
openspaceman wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:12 pm
nrgbod wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:56 am
The change over of the five timer slots is usually within 5 seconds of the car starting or ending a cheap-slot charge.
In that case wouldn't it be possible to have a current transformer on the live to the car charger to sense and start charging the home battery (or storage heater) ?
A CT could probably be used as a trigger in lieu of the Octopus integration to do the same thing, but boost charging or solar charging would complicate things, if used.
You don’t need a CT, you can use a Shelly or similar to detect voltage on the charging circuit…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nrgbod

Post by nrgbod »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:37 pm

In that case wouldn't it be possible to have a current transformer on the live to the car charger to sense and start charging the home battery (or storage heater) ?
A CT could probably be used as a trigger in lieu of the Octopus integration to do the same thing, but boost charging or solar charging would complicate things, if used.
You don’t need a CT, you can use a Shelly or similar to detect voltage on the charging circuit…
I'm happy without the extra hardware. The Octopus integration is simple to set up and works very reliably for me, it notifies HA in real time at the same time as the car is notified.
I'm not sure if the Octopus Mini is needed I just mentioned it because I have had it fitted since before I was using the integration so can't say for sure if it's needed or not.
4x US5000 Pylontech
Turbo Energy 5000 hybrid inverter.
2012 FIT: 4kWp WSW/ 255⁰ /25⁰ ABB 3.6 Outdoor.
Panels 16x 375 Bisol (6kWp)
78kWh MY, 64kWh Kona
Eddi and OpenEVSE diverters
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:37 pm You don’t need a CT, you can use a Shelly or similar to detect voltage on the charging circuit…
I was thinking you might need to set a minimum Amps before it triggered home battery charging but that's because I don't know how car chargers operate.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nrgbod wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:56 am
The change over of the five timer slots is usually within 5 seconds of the car starting or ending a cheap-slot charge.
Well, I certainly enjoyed reading this while understanding none of it. :lol:

I have a 16% soc and first time since pre Spring. The stack and hwt are set to charge for the full 6 hour window. If the sun shines tomorrow I'll dump some into the car from the homestack :twisted:

At this level I can.operate. :D
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

nowty wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:16 pm My father has been in hospital for a week, generally unwell and a recent fall meant the local GP did not want to see him and told him to call 999 and go to A&E.

Hospital has been very vague, possible aneurysm, then it was pulmonary embolism and his electrolytes are all over the place. Its his 94th birthday early next week so I was going up in the EV this weekend to visit.

But my mum has just told me he's tested positive for COVID and had to be moved to the isolation ward which is a worry as he also has pulmonary fibrosis. :?

I asked if everyone is wearing masks in the isolation ward. My mum said no one is wearing masks, not the visitors, not the patients and not the staff. :shock:

I won't be going now. :(
Moxi wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:42 am Hope he picks up soon.
Fintray wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:44 am That's worrying news Nowty, I hope your dad starts to get better soon. :(
I'm up north now, staying with my brother in Manchester so I'm nearby in case of any emergencies. My father has been on oxygen for a couple of days but he's doing ok so they took him off it earlier today and I've been in regular telephone contact with him.

My mother took a turn for the worse at home yesterday (almost certain caught the COVID), but today she has improved.

Both my parents have had their full number of COVID vaccines although they were due the next one this week but that has now been overtaken by events.

SWMBO is telling me full battery back at home today and indoor temperatures good via my remote operation of the A2A HP's. :mrgreen:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

All the best to your folks Nowty.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Nowty, hopefully they both have turned a corner and are on the mend.
Whilst I was in hospital my SWMBO couldn't get the heating to come on, it had been in holiday mode and she couldn't get it to come on! :o
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
nowty

Post by nowty »

Fintray wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:44 pm Nowty, hopefully they both have turned a corner and are on the mend.
Whilst I was in hospital my SWMBO couldn't get the heating to come on, it had been in holiday mode and she couldn't get it to come on! :o
Good job you made it back to turn the heating back on or else she would have never forgiven you. ;)

Having witnessed all the aliments from my elderly parents, I'd be happy to go around my late 80's with some acute solar / battery incident. Maybe by then we'll be making our own green hydrogen, thats bound not to end well. :lol:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

Fintray wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:44 pm Nowty, hopefully they both have turned a corner and are on the mend.
I’m getting the same vibes from SWMBO, she is saying if anything happens to me she would have to sell the house :oops:
Everything is on my phone, although she does manage to turn the heating on if needed.
She hasn’t quite grasped IO yet, but slowly slowly catchy monkey
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 4 210 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV 0.547 kW Whitelaw Brae
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I try to make everything "dead-mans-handle" so that it just works without intervention.

For example the heating element in the SH in the garden office is controlled by a Shelly. Sure I control it from my phone but primarily it works as a timer, however there is a fused Spur than can manually stop the timer activating the heating element in the cheap period and you can also control it by talking to Alexa. There is loads of other similar stuff around the house but the principle remains: while I do fiddle and faff, everything has to work autonomously without the need to mess with it, and interventions that are required can be made by talking to Alexa.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)