Solis hybrid battery and Zappi

openspaceman

Re: Solis hybrid battery and Zappi

Post by openspaceman »

sharpener wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:38 pm
openspaceman wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:52 am Not being there or having an EV of my own or a zappi charger I thought it was the car that dictated the minimum charge it would accept to be 1.4kW.
According to myenergi it is written into the standard.

Eco mode will top up any available PV to the minimum 1.4kW by drawing from the grid as necessary.

Eco+ mode will wait indefinitely until the PV is at least the % of 1.4kW specified by the Minimum Green Level setting.
I'll have to investigate a bit more when next down there. Eco with two leaves definitely depletes the battery at 1,4kW as the sun goes down.

I can see how to program the inverter to charge at the same time as the zappi draws from the grid and will try it but it involves clambering into the loft where the inverter is. The remote app unfortunately does not mimic the screen on the inverter.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Now the solar PV output has dropped and the car is needing charging some nights my daughter has moved to octopus GO.

Adding the remote access control to the Solis web server means I can set a charge in Amps to prevent the battery draining while the car charges between 00:30 and 04:30. What I cannot see how to do is to set the home battery to charge to a fixed percent SOC.

Last night I charged it for 4 hours at 20A which brought it to 80% SOC but that was probably too much with sunny periods charging the battery this morning so I would have preferred to stop at 60%. To change the charging current daily is a faff.

Is it possible to set a fixed SOC?
Morso S11
FIT
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
Storage
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

Not sure if this is helpful, but we moved the zappi upstream of the battery (Powerwall in our case) so its now never seen as a house load. Moved the CT too.

Prevents drain when Intelligent Octopus stick in some cheap slots outside of the normal 23:30 to 05:30 times.

Now if Tesla would share the API for Powerwall we could maybe charge it when we get the irregular cheap slots too! :whistle:
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Thanks I had seen that moving the Zappi the other side of the consumer unit and CT was a solution to discharging the home battery.

Pablo's long thread about things I don't understand like modbus and home assistant to directly read from the inverter seems to be the only way to charge to a fixed SOC, Too difficult for a punter like me to do.
Morso S11
FIT
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
Storage
Mojomal

Post by Mojomal »

NikoV6 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:13 pm Not sure if this is helpful, but we moved the zappi upstream of the battery (Powerwall in our case) so its now never seen as a house load. Moved the CT too.

Prevents drain when Intelligent Octopus stick in some cheap slots outside of the normal 23:30 to 05:30 times.

Hi Niko.
I also have got a Powerwall which will drain at night if it doesn't require charging and my EV is set to charge. If the Powerwall needs charging with the EV also charging the Powerwall doesn't discharge. The only way to stop the Powerwall discharging is too manually set the backup in the Tesla app to a higher setting before I go to bed and in the morning return the backup setting. What a faff!!!

I have seen a you tube vid where a chap moved his Zappi and Eddie power supplies to before his consumer unit and also moved CTs. But he had a hybrid inverter/battery. The Tesla must have a main supply CT in the gateway somewhere and I can't see it when I remove the top cover. When you said "moved the CT too" which CT were you referring to?
Thanks in advance
Malc.
20 x 58 tube Solar Thermal Myenergi Eddie 200 l cylinder
3.9 kW solar PV SMA
3.1 kW solar PV Solar edge
Tesla Powerwall 2
1500W Craig Fatha
640W Kirk Hill
EV 83.9 kWh and Zappi
Clearview woodburner and chainsaw
Keeper of bees for 48 years
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

Mojomal wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:20 pm
NikoV6 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:13 pm Not sure if this is helpful, but we moved the zappi upstream of the battery (Powerwall in our case) so its now never seen as a house load. Moved the CT too.

Hi Niko.
I also have got a Powerwall which will drain at night if it doesn't require charging and my EV is set to charge. If the Powerwall needs charging with the EV also charging the Powerwall doesn't discharge. The only way to stop the Powerwall discharging is too manually set the backup in the Tesla app to a higher setting before I go to bed and in the morning return the backup setting. What a faff!!!

I have seen a you tube vid where a chap moved his Zappi and Eddie power supplies to before his consumer unit and also moved CTs. But he had a hybrid inverter/battery. The Tesla must have a main supply CT in the gateway somewhere and I can't see it when I remove the top cover. When you said "moved the CT too" which CT were you referring to?
Thanks in advance
Malc.
Hi, we were sort of lucky as had Henley blocks upstream of the consumer unit which we moved the feed to the Zappi to. We then moved the Zappi CT to be the last CT just before the tails went out the wall to the meter unit.

Some drawbacks, the Tesla app is no longer accurate as the Net Grid kWh Imported will not reflect the kWh the car has taken. No big deal as you can see that in the Myenergi app.

Also, I think charge rate from solar will be restricted to your max export limit? Because the inverter will throttle any excess to comply with export limit? Again, no big deal, we have a 5kWh limit so would only rarely be putting this into the car.

I hope Myenergi sort the Zappi to be intelligent enough to know when the car is getting excess solar and set charge times appropriately! I can put it all back to how it was then! :mrgreen:
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
Mojomal

Post by Mojomal »

Thanks Niko, I'll give that a try. We also have a Henley block just before our consumer unit so should be fairly easy.
20 x 58 tube Solar Thermal Myenergi Eddie 200 l cylinder
3.9 kW solar PV SMA
3.1 kW solar PV Solar edge
Tesla Powerwall 2
1500W Craig Fatha
640W Kirk Hill
EV 83.9 kWh and Zappi
Clearview woodburner and chainsaw
Keeper of bees for 48 years