LuxPower - emergency backup enabling

Stinsy

Re: LuxPower - emergency backup enabling

Post by Stinsy »

stevevoller wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:57 pm So am I basically screwed with what I have? (Growatt min 6000 with PV + Luxpower ACS 3600 with batteries)

In an extended power-cut I can run the UPS load until the battery expires and then everything is off.

Is there a solution that will let me keep the batteries, PV and preferably the inverters, or do I need a different solution to work in an extended power cut?
Best solution would be to plumb your solar into the batteries via a charge controller.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

nowty wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:57 pm
1) Use the UPS on the Lux you have and DC Couple some solar via charge controllers to the DC battery side, thats what Joeboy partly uses as his grid tie solar will still trip out. DC coupling will still work in a power cut, you can even re-wire stuff to do this in an extended power cut situation. Most charge controllers don't like high voltages so you could parallel up some of your solar to be compatible with them.
Stevevoller you don't say what your batteries are and do you have communication with the Lux? This option above can require some knowledge on settings and how to do it safely.

nowty wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:57 pm 2) Change your hardware to a single large On/Off grid hybrid inverter which takes both solar and batts, thats what Stinsy was on about. That is effectively an OffGrid capable inverter with DC coupling built in as in (1) above.
This is the option I would go with- plug and play basically.
nowty wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:57 pm 3) As Tinbum says you can do it with controlled loads but its complicated.

4) Change your hardware to SMA gear like Kommando and myself have and you can have what you want for a price !
I also run SMA equipment but Victron also do the same. Again quality stuff, but as with SMA does require some pretty good skills to set up properly.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
nowty

Post by nowty »

Cannot fault Tinbums's wise words, we often forget our own knowledge as wrong settings can lead to bad situations, especially with homebrew systems.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Kommando

Post by Kommando »

I have built my system with 2nd hand kit over the years, its amazing the cul de sac's you can unknowingly potentially create with a single bad choice of an item. It now takes me months to decide the pro's and con's of a potential purchase, luckily the last inverter was given to me as faulty. Fix was easy and the spec allows it to be set up with the same off grid frequency throttling profile as an SMA.
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Kommando wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:54 am the spec allows it to be set up with the same off grid frequency throttling profile as an SMA.
Which one? Since you pointed out my Solarmax FIT inverter could be set up to be frequency shifting I have been trying to understand the manual but it is not something I have any confidence in implementing, it has made me stick with my original idea of expanding my system with a Victron Multiplus though.

I am in a very similar position to the original poster with my kit also including an ac coupled battery plus wishing to have grid independence if necessary.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Kommando

Post by Kommando »

Its an old ABB Uno, the one I was given had a code 31 error which is the DC relays. Fixed with a 100W soldering iron and some copper wire. The relays were fine but the tracks on the PCB had burnt out on 3 of the 6 tracks so I soldered thick copper wire on all 6 tracks to fix 3 and future proof the remaining 3.

However I would not recommend buying one as they are getting on in age and other faults lurk. Mine is on a shelf as a spare just to tide me over if an SMA fails.

Also you need RS485 access to a laptop and setting it up is much the same as your current Inverter, so no easier and less reliable is not a good recipe. It was free for a reason.
richbee

Post by richbee »

I like the idea of implementing the UPS facility with my Sunsynk solar at some point.
I now have TT earthing - while my extension was being wired up including new consumer unit, the electricians discovered there was no earth at all!
If I've understood correctly, that is the correct earthing to safely implement islanding.

So if I can install a sub-CU with eg. downstairs sockets and lights, it can be fed by the inverter / batteries with correct connections and setup?
We seem to get more power outages than we used to - never for more than 1 hour, but a nuisance in the night, as the cooker clock resets and all the Philips Hue lights come on.
If I can move forward with the heat pump system, could be a good time to implement as wiring changes will be needed anyway.
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
stevevoller

Post by stevevoller »

I have two Pylontech US5000c batteries (9.6KWh total) mounted in a 19" cabinet. I have the Growatt min 5000 and Luxpower 3600 mounted on the wall next to the cabinet with the associated isolators and meter. This is all in a utility cupboard on the side of the house and wired through to the consumer units which are in the middle of the house in a cupboard.

I don't have space for anymore panels on the roof, there are 14 *JA-400W panels. To make changes there would need scaffolding etc and new cabling run in.
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

stevevoller wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:11 pm I have two Pylontech US5000c batteries (9.6KWh total) mounted in a 19" cabinet. I have the Growatt min 5000 and Luxpower 3600 mounted on the wall next to the cabinet with the associated isolators and meter. This is all in a utility cupboard on the side of the house and wired through to the consumer units which are in the middle of the house in a cupboard.

I don't have space for anymore panels on the roof, there are 14 *JA-400W panels. To make changes there would need scaffolding etc and new cabling run in.
I'd remove the Lux and Growatt and change for a Sofar or Growatt hybrid.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
stevevoller

Post by stevevoller »

I have been thinking about that suggestion, more as an emergency backup, but with that DC-AC portable inverter , that looks like it only goes to 48V , wont the DC input from the PV string be much higher than that? or do you just have a few panels connected?
Joeboy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:22 pm
stevevoller wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:57 pm So am I basically screwed with what I have? (Growatt min 6000 with PV + Luxpower ACS 3600 with batteries)

In an extended power-cut I can run the UPS load until the battery expires and then everything is off.

Is there a solution that will let me keep the batteries, PV and preferably the inverters, or do I need a different solution to work in an extended power cut?
Steve,
My solution to grid loss and keeping access to the DC power in the batteries is a DC to AC inverter with 3 pin plug built in, T'd off of the battery stack. Its not particularly fancy or expensive and it is simple although i am restricted to an extension reel to where i need the power. I also have the benefit of half the PV running through a charge controller directly to the batteries rather than through a grid tied inverter. The result is an offgrid reliable 2kW supply that can spike to 3kW for short moments fed from 5kWp.

Something like this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/FENGSSLL-Effic ... 02&sr=8-18

Basic though this solution is I can cook, heat my HWT, run PC, TV, lights etc if the grid fails. Although not all at once! I have run the washing machine on the inverter as a test, no problem. I could also charge the EV through the granny charger. My point being that for not too much outlay a reasonable facsimile of normal life can take place in extended power outages. Preferably in the March to Sept window. :D