Sunsync Hybrid Inverter + Storage

Krill

Re: Sunsync Hybrid Inverter + Storage

Post by Krill »

Don't have to inform the DNO of anything if it's off grid though. Not sure if dlw is off grid or not judging by his last post.
Solar PV: 6.4kW solar PV (Eurener MEPV 400W*16)
PV Inverter: Solis 6kW inverter
Batteries: 14.4kWh LiFePO4 batteries (Pylontech US5000*3)
Battery Inverter: LuxPowertek 3600 ACS*2 battery inverter
WBS: 8kW Hunter Avalon 6 Multifuel burner (wood only)
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Krill wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:06 pm Don't have to inform the DNO of anything if it's off grid though. Not sure if dlw is off grid or not judging by his last post.
Sig says Off Grid 20 out of 24hrs. Whatever that means in practice. I would have thought the DNO may not like 2 x 5.5kW inverters even for only 4 hours in 24.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels in S Devon, ~3.9 MWh/year
8 x 405W Longi panels, 3.355 MWh/yr projected
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50 with 250/60 MPPT
3 x Pylontec 3.55 kWh Force-L2
zappi 7kW EV charger
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
dlw

Post by dlw »

sharpener wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:17 pm
Krill wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:06 pm Don't have to inform the DNO of anything if it's off grid though. Not sure if dlw is off grid or not judging by his last post.
Sig says Off Grid 20 out of 24hrs. Whatever that means in practice. I would have thought the DNO may not like 2 x 5.5kW inverters even for only 4 hours in 24.
With my current setup I purely use an off grid inverter which can not export at all, it's set to solar battery only but if there isn't solar or battery it switches to utility and as my sig the majority of the time I am only charging my batteries and dishwasher/washer in the 4hr Octopus Go tariff and during the summer I've been off grid 24hrs a day (on good days)

I would set up the Sunsync exactly the same way as it seems it's possible within the setting and maybe I will chat with Octopus and see if it's possible to export with self install since they have partially removed the MCS requirements now.

16 250w Trina panels
Voltronic Axpert Max 8Kw hybrid inverter
3 x Chinese 125Ah (19Kwh total) batteries
To be done, more panels and a wind turbine
Off Grid 20 out of 24hrs
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

dlw wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:49 am
With my current setup I purely use an off grid inverter which can not export at all, it's set to solar battery only but if there isn't solar or battery it switches to utility

I would set up the Sunsync exactly the same way as it seems it's possible within the setting and maybe I will chat with Octopus and see if it's possible to export with self install since they have partially removed the MCS requirements now.
Don't quite understand how if the inverter has any kind of grid connection it meets the DNO requirements to limit potential export, do you have some kind of external anti-islanding/anti-backfeed relay in your setup? 5.5kW is nearly twice the 16A limit for a G98 connection.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels in S Devon, ~3.9 MWh/year
8 x 405W Longi panels, 3.355 MWh/yr projected
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50 with 250/60 MPPT
3 x Pylontec 3.55 kWh Force-L2
zappi 7kW EV charger
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Kommando

Post by Kommando »

Even with the sun below the horizon and the batteries depleted then connecting a 5.5kw inverter to the grid means you need DNO permission. The DNO will take the opinion that even if you only connect when it can make no power the next owner may not.
dlw

Post by dlw »

sharpener wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:30 pm
dlw wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:49 am

With my current setup I purely use an off grid inverter which can not export at all, it's set to solar battery only but if there isn't solar or battery it switches to utility

Don't quite understand how if the inverter has any kind of grid connection it meets the DNO requirements to limit potential export, do you have some kind of external anti-islanding/anti-backfeed relay in your setup? 5.5kW is nearly twice the 16A limit for a G98 connection.
Because my inverter is designed to be off-grid it doesn't have any way of feeding back to the grid, the grid/generator connection isn't designed to be primary only backup and I think it takes a small amount of power from the grid/generator when using solar/battery to "island" it so it's not possible to transfer it back, I believe this is technically G100 protocol. If I get the Sunsynk 5.5kw I will probably run them in the same way but I will probably get DNO approval for export
16 250w Trina panels
Voltronic Axpert Max 8Kw hybrid inverter
3 x Chinese 125Ah (19Kwh total) batteries
To be done, more panels and a wind turbine
Off Grid 20 out of 24hrs
kennyrodgers

Post by kennyrodgers »

robl wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:36 pm We recently got a sunsynk 3.6kW Ecco, and a 15kWh kit battery from fogstar. It's on top of an independent FIT system.
The Sunsynk is quite programmable - we let it charge from Octopus Go, and load level the rest of the time. We're an all electric house - it is almost big enough, probably not for the worst weather. Doubling the system costs 2x as much, and is harder to justify!
The Sunsynk is working standalone for us - that is, it's programmed and just runs, no need for the internet. I think there are more sophisticated Flux and Agile ways to use it which require the internet, and it can be programmed with "buy" and "sell" prices; we've not tried this.
The manual and online info on how to use it is a bit poor I think - I end up just trying things to see what they do. I don't think the unit will pull in power from our existing PV - or maybe it will, with one of the many click boxes, but I can't see it.
The battery is a little tricky to put together, and mistakes would be "very bad" - like shorting out a cell with a spanner. It is good value for money though:-) I went with 16 off EVE304k in a vertical seplos mason 280L box, which doesn't take up too much floor space, and is on wheels :D £2500 for the batt kit. Natively it seems to communicate with the sunsynk via the CAN port on each - although not a big deal I think if it didn't, as the battery BMS can shutdown the cells if anything is wrong.
It comes with datalogging, that generally works pretty well - below is a screengrab of it working today. You can see it charge 12.5kWh overnight, 600W of heatpump clicking on/off, and the FIT PV exporting. The SOC is not to be trusted yet as I've not exercised the batt so the BMS doesn't know where the "end stops" are yet.

Hi there...Forum newby here...
I've just took delivery of the Sunsynk 3.6kw ECCO from Bimble Solar today and my panel install is in a few days...I'm doing a diy battery build with 280ah cells from EEL battery in China. I was thinking of going the Seplos kit route so I'm wondering you tell me which kit you got from Fogstar and more specifically, which BMS you're using..
Many thanks in advance and cheers for now.
J.F.D.I