Outgoing Octopus

nowty

Re: Outgoing Octopus

Post by nowty »

nowty wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:35 pm I'm averaging 47kWh export per day this month and today I should break yesterdays export record of 72kWh.

I'm going for 80kWh export today, but its going to be close. :xx:
I made my 80kWh export target yesterday and also a new nowtyrecord for daily home solar generation at 85kWh even with some late afternoon cloud. :mrgreen:

If we ever get to a run of consecutive sunny days I intend to set the export at say 3kWp for 24 hours a day over several days. But no sign of that happening on the current weather forecasts. :evil:
16.9kW PV > 104MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
jonc_uk

Post by jonc_uk »

Hi nowty,

Very impressive.

I am interested to know how you are managing the export.

Are you exporting from the Sunny Island or the ME3000SP? Do you have to manually keep adjusting it through the day?
nowty

Post by nowty »

jonc_uk wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:54 am Hi nowty,

Very impressive.

I am interested to know how you are managing the export.

Are you exporting from the Sunny Island or the ME3000SP? Do you have to manually keep adjusting it through the day?
I am only using the Sunny Island and manually adjusting it throughout the day.

If I'm out then I set max export to something reasonable and let the system curtail if its a good day. But even out of the house I can have some control by changing the cheapslot charging rate or turning on loads like EV charging, heating or hot water.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
94JDH

Post by 94JDH »

nowty wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:43 am
nowty wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:35 pm I'm averaging 47kWh export per day this month and today I should break yesterdays export record of 72kWh.

I'm going for 80kWh export today, but its going to be close. :xx:
I made my 80kWh export target yesterday and also a new nowtyrecord for daily home solar generation at 85kWh even with some late afternoon cloud. :mrgreen:

If we ever get to a run of consecutive sunny days I intend to set the export at say 3kWp for 24 hours a day over several days. But no sign of that happening on the current weather forecasts. :evil:
Getting close to that 100 kWh !
nowty

Post by nowty »

94JDH wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:43 pm Getting close to that 100 kWh !
Its theoretically possible, on a good day with 70kWh generation and a 60kWh battery it sounds easy but in practise it never is as the house uses some of that power and if the batteries fill up there will be curtailment.

I'll need a good sunny day and start at midnight with a full battery and full hot water. I'll need an average export of about 4.2kW over the 24 hours.

Say at midnight I set export to 4.2kW (AC) so with the inefficiency and house loads the battery inverter might be using nearer 5kW DC and it will take until 9am to balance out with the solar generation. So thats 45 kWh, maybe even 50 kWh so a really big dent in the battery but workable.

Then I wont need the battery again till 5pm, then the battery will be discharging for another 7 hours so the battery will need a good charge during the generation day but I wont mind the battery getting down to almost my cut off point because the cheapslot will be immediately available when we reach the end point at midnight.

During the solar generation phase I may be able to increase the export to 5kW or 6kW to get ahead of the average and have about 6 hours for charging the battery. That might not be enough to recharge the battery full again but I reckon it will only need to get to around 70% full. The evening will be easier as BST means we are solar shifted by one hour and the bulk of my generation is SW facing.

Sounds like a challenge but there are some difficulties, :mrgreen:

1) We have yet to have a 100% sunny day this year so need one of those and preferably in June for the longest generation period. :xx:

2) SWMBO will need to have a laundry and ironing ban, that could be difficult. :fight:

3) Other loads in the house will need to be minimised, so no heating / air con or roast chicken dinner. :cry:

4) Finally, the Octopus might not be too happy with me. :whistle:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

nowty wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:40 pm
1) We have yet to have a 100% sunny day this year so need one of those and preferably in June for the longest generation period. :xx:

2) SWMBO will need to have a laundry and ironing ban, that could be difficult. :fight:

3) Other loads in the house will need to be minimised, so no heating / air con or roast chicken dinner. :cry:

So does that mean you're going to take her out for dinner? :D
nowty

Post by nowty »

Countrypaul wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:48 pm

I suspect I'll be glued to the battery voltage readout and comparing it with my spreadsheet with calculator in hand. :geek:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

nowty wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:07 pm
Countrypaul wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:48 pm

I suspect I'll be glued to the battery voltage readout and comparing it with my spreadsheet with calculator in hand. :geek:
At the retaurant? :lol:
94JDH

Post by 94JDH »

94JDH wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:43 pm Getting close to that 100 kWh !
Its theoretically possible, on a good day with 70kWh generation and a 60kWh battery it sounds easy but in practise it never is as the house uses some of that power and if the batteries fill up there will be curtailment.

I'll need a good sunny day and start at midnight with a full battery and full hot water. I'll need an average export of about 4.2kW over the 24 hours.

Say at midnight I set export to 4.2kW (AC) so with the inefficiency and house loads the battery inverter might be using nearer 5kW DC and it will take until 9am to balance out with the solar generation. So thats 45 kWh, maybe even 50 kWh so a really big dent in the battery but workable.

Then I wont need the battery again till 5pm, then the battery will be discharging for another 7 hours so the battery will need a good charge during the generation day but I wont mind the battery getting down to almost my cut off point because the cheapslot will be immediately available when we reach the end point at midnight.

During the solar generation phase I may be able to increase the export to 5kW or 6kW to get ahead of the average and have about 6 hours for charging the battery. That might not be enough to recharge the battery full again but I reckon it will only need to get to around 70% full. The evening will be easier as BST means we are solar shifted by one hour and the bulk of my generation is SW facing.

Sounds like a challenge but there are some difficulties, :mrgreen:

Hopefully that challenge will not be far off, nearly in June! I was so close recently but I think some balancing of charging and export is needed at my end as Grid voltage creeps up - so I need to manage the maximum PV output better.
nowty

Post by nowty »

If I was home yesterday I might have had a crack at the 100 kWh export in a day, but I was in London seeing daughter, so no dice.

However I made a first where I exported with 2kW minimum for a whole 24 hour period with zero grid import. :xx:

In fact the export started the day before at 4am so it was a total of 44 hours of continuous export. :twisted:

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3