Battery Expansion

wanless

Battery Expansion

Post by wanless »

Hi all I have a solar panel array and SUNSYNK-5K-SG01/03LP1 5kW inverter along with a SUNSYNK L051100-A 5.12 kWh battery. This has been running for a year now and the only regret I have is not going for a bigger storage capacity on the battery. I am looking to increase it and think there are 3 options but I'm not sure the best way forward so was looking for any advice. I think my options are as follows.

1) try find another SUNSYNK L051100-A 5.12 kWh battery and link these together to double my storage capacity but i think this is a older battery that isn't that easy to get a hold of

2) Find an alternative 5kwh battery and link this to my exciting battery (not sure if that possible or if the batteries need to be the same manufacturer etc)

3) Disconnect the existing battery and replace with a new larger battery but this seems a shame as the current battery is only a year old.

My preferred option would be 2 if that's possible maybe linking in a battery such as one of the Pylontech batteries but no idea what the best way forward is :)

Many Thanks
Dan
Countrypaul

Re: Battery Expansion

Post by Countrypaul »

One obvious question, have you checked with Sunsynk whether you can mix their newer batteries with your existing, and if not what would they reccommend?
wanless

Post by wanless »

Stupidly no, the equipment was specked and ordered by an installer but embarrassingly I never thought of reaching out to the manufacturer directly
nowty

Post by nowty »

ITS seem to sell them.
https://www.itstechnologies.shop/produc ... ry-5-12kwh

Datasheet linked from their webpage, seems to be a L051100-A
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0257/ ... 1676821686
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Countrypaul

Post by Countrypaul »

If you search for Sunsylk SSLB1 - there appear to be quite a few able to supply, though as usual delivery and VAT need checking.
smegal

Post by smegal »

richbee

Post by richbee »

Those are the same as I have - made by CATL - and not compatible with Sunsynk's later offerings.
But as others have pointed out, they are still available, and you can get battery connector cables from eg. ITS as well, so dead easy to connect and add to your existing system (just need to set the dip switches on both batteries according to the instructions in the downloadable manual).
But be aware, the normal short cables are very short, and need the batteries pretty much sat on top of each other or in a rack.
Don't buy the long cables, they have battery connector on one end and spade terminal on the other end to connect to the inverter (ask me how I know!)
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
wanless

Post by wanless »

Thank you so much all im going to go the easy route and order one of the sunsync batteries and a cable set.