EVE

AGT

EVE

Post by AGT »

Just deciding if it’s too much reading on. Cell compression

Wondering if people are using poron sheets for compression?
Kapton tape, compression springs, insulating sheet between cells?

Before I started reading the solar sites in the USA, my plan was to go grade A batteries, clamped in a plywood box with 4x8mm rods with DPM cut to size as insulators between the sheets.

Was looking to design this way just to figure out what materials costs ( probably just buy from someone in the UK)
could be against buying a ready built unit that wouldn’t frighten the family!

Have the ability to do the build but always seem to be time poor…
NoraBatty

Re: EVE

Post by NoraBatty »

I can see the benefits of full diy home battery set ups like many here have.
As i have said, what puts me off, is critters being able to more easily access wires or short batteries by not knowing to avoid touching + and - together as they search for food, that includes the dog and cats, plus any kids that may be around.
Yes you can build a custom enclosure, and some do look very nice, and okay, having it on display may be mitigated somewhat by a locked shed, but encased in a battery box, encased in a shed, is for me a much safer, neater solution.

Likewise, although its allowed, if selling the property, a diy solution is more likely to scare potential buyers than a nice battery box that looks proffessional.
You could take the batteires with you to the next place and replace with pylons but that isnt always feesible, and i know many people who think even pylons are too far from a tesla powerwall to be trusted. Ironic really.
I cant imagine insurance companies being too happy about it either in the event of having to claim, and other official bureaucrats are likely to turn up their nose at such, despite it being to code.

To buy a branded off the shelf solution is out of many peoples price range, so buying a diy battery box, is for me, a very good compromise, and can ve as cheap as a couple of hundred quid per enclosure.
It also is much less daunting for visitors, or family to learn, than a diy set up.
2.7kw Canadian solar. roof. 3kw solis G98 mcs
12kw midea ASHP
200l hot water
3152W RE, Whitelaw Brae
Octopus agile/outgoing fixed 15p

Planned;
Hybrid system
43kwh eve batteries, 3x16 280A
6-8+kw solar, DC connected.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I used roofing plastic,membrane as the divider between Battery units and threaded rod through end caps of 10mm plywood board for compression. I also have mine mounted up in the air .

So far, so good. :D
19.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Lincs Robert

Post by Lincs Robert »

Ive used 3mm hardboard cut to size between the cells, with 18mm plywood end plates being compressed by six (2 x 3) M6 threaded studding & wingnuts. The top studding is protected by a covering of hosepipe “just in case”. The whole lot is enclosed in a plywood case with removable panels. It gets inspected every few months.

I know 3mm is a slightly bigger gap than many use, I did have to make the holes in the busbars very slightly more elongated to compensate.

So far so good 👍
AGT

Post by AGT »

Thanks for the info, was thinking about 18mm ply as I have loads left, was thinking about building that into an electrical box the type that’s metal, hinges and you hang on the wall, but this would have the hinges side against the wall,siting on the floor, open up to give access to batteries/BMS

Now reading too much into software issues on BMS.
I bet in the end I might just buy a pre-made unit…..