Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Fintray

Re: Idiot's guide to a self build battery

Post by Fintray »

Another small (but time consuming) step, BMS cables extended and individually fused.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Nice looms, save a lot of time down the road with the marking up.
19.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Saladin

Post by Saladin »

Blimey that's impressive.

I thought I was the only one who fused balance leads. I've never seen a professional original equipment manufacturer do it.
The resistance across friction fit blade fuse holders will not be equal due to the massive manufacturing tolerences. Blade fuses themselves are also extremely inconsistant in terms of resistance and rupture current.
I did exactly the same on many a build except using blade fuseblocks instead of inline holders. I've often wondered if it made a difference to the balance circuit.

Not one I've noticed to be honest. I use active balancers too and resistance is fultile when the balance current is mA or less..My cells are generally pretty consistent.

Noice battery. Proper.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Saladin wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:41 pm Blimey that's impressive.

I thought I was the only one who fused balance leads. I've never seen a professional original equipment manufacturer do it.
The resistance across friction fit blade fuse holders will not be equal due to the massive manufacturing tolerences. Blade fuses themselves are also extremely inconsistant in terms of resistance and rupture current.
I did exactly the same on many a build except using blade fuseblocks instead of inline holders. I've often wondered if it made a difference to the balance circuit.

Not one I've noticed to be honest. I use active balancers too and resistance is fultile when the balance current is mA or less..My cells are generally pretty consistent.

Noice battery. Proper.
Saladin, Welcome onboard, your exuberance is outstanding 👏 👌
19.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Saladin

Post by Saladin »

Thanks for the kind words Joeboy,

Don't let my postcount fool you, I've been at this craic for decades. I went monk-mode for a coupla years and realised that no man-solo is going to change the world the amount we need to pull our socks up. It will take community.
I'm building omni-directional frequency controlled micro grids and end user installations with backfeed as a side project. I've 4 harmonised systems running in the workshop at the moment. ~17kVA and a mix of 16kWh Lead acid + LFP combined across the sets.
I don't use VTG even though I can. My propulsion batteries are for mobility, I don't want diminishing capacity on those from domestic loads.

Didja know it's illegal to compete financially with the national grid?
Decentralisation is the future in my opinion. We can trade in energy, calories, services or goods. Fortunately the powers that oppose such developments are blindsided by currency.

I wonder have you come across this resource on LFP? It's the best info on LFP on the net in my opinion.
It also explains how to manage the memory effect that that chemistry exhibits, which most vested interests try to sweep under the carpet and pretend isn't an issue. It is. I've measured it.