Cheap EV and v2h

marshman

Re: Cheap EV and v2h

Post by marshman »

__
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Kenny000666 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:02 pm As I understand the battery industry, generally cars want tier 1 batteries (batteries with that are new generally healthy?). Once they are not longer useful in cars the industry recycles them for storage? I.e powering homes, buildings etc.

So technically a car battery that’s no longer useful for driving should still be useful for residential storage? I mean, I don’t know if this was the idea 10 years ago. But I read articles that old Nissan EVs are recycled to power buildings in Japan.
Yes, basically Ok for stationary use.

The first gen Leaf's had the 24kWh battery, but being small, not great, and no active temp management, they have deteriated somewhat. But you can get the Leaf Spy app, plus one of those OBD plug in thingies* and see what the SOH is. Also the cars have a display on the dash which starts at 12 bars, then reduces as it loses health. Robert Llewellyn had one of the originals, and ran it down to about 30 miles of range, then opted to pay for a battery swap and put in a 40kWh pack (I think). There's an episode on this on Fully Charged.

Some really good news, it was found that the SOH of the small Leaf batts was actually improved when used for V2G. It seems the gentle charge and discharge (think discharging at 2kW, v's the 80kW motor) helps to rebalance the battery.

*We had one when we had a 24kWh Leaf, but I gave it away to another forumite who has a Leaf.

Edit - Sorry - what marshman said. The cheaper Leafs will have poorer range, or high mileage, or both. Don't expect 24kWh useable at the cheapest end.

And another edit - On another forum, their is a Leaf owner with V2G, and he's looking into buying a cheap (presumably tired and battered) second Leaf purely for V2G. So it will be taken out of use, but can be pluged in all the time the 'working' Leaf isn't.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Kenny000666

Post by Kenny000666 »

Yes that’s also my thoughts, to keep it plugged in and basically never use it. Or even if I do use it, will use for small run around, as got a Qashqai (I know petrol….) for main driving. Missus doesn’t like the idea of having an EV (yet 😅).

What I need to find out now, is how to do v2g/h. If an EV ends up being £5k (even with reduced health) but the charger itself is 2-3k that pretty much wipes off the benefit.
Kenny000666

Post by Kenny000666 »

Omg, are you frickin kidding me!? This is more expensive than the EV.

https://voltaconsolar.com/quasar-bidire ... arger.html

As the dragons would say “I’m out”
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Kenny000666 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:35 pm Omg, are you frickin kidding me!? This is more expensive than the EV.

Crikes. Are they having a laugh.
Can't imagine many people forking out that sort of sum, but guess they can ask!
Mart

Post by Mart »

Kenny000666 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:35 pm Omg, are you frickin kidding me!? This is more expensive than the EV.

Hiya. Not trying to rub it in, but the cost for the kit to fully connect a Ford F-150 Lightning to a house with bi-directional use is over $5k too. But, in fairness, when you're talking really big batts, say 50-150kWh, rather than a perhaps tired 24kWh, then it's not so bad.

I'm, very much in the wait and see camp, hoping that prices drop. I'm also feeling a bit more disappointed that I wasn't allowed in the V2G trial in 2020, as buying the kit for £1 would have been ...... quite nice!

Ford F-150 Lightning electric pickup needs a $3,900 home device to use it as backup power
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Kenny000666

Post by Kenny000666 »

Haha, yeh 5k wall charger is nothing when your paying 50k for the EV 😅. Too bad they don’t throw it in as part of the package huh 🤪