Batteries not supplying house

Mart

Re: Batteries not supplying house

Post by Mart »

Can I piggyback off this thread rather than start a new one, and ask if anyone has heard of this problem, and if it's nothing major:

So, set my Solaredge batts to charge during cheap rate on Sunday evening. I also had the car set to charge on the 7kW charger, so didn't want the batts to empty themselves 'helping'.

Monday morning, the batts hadn't charged, but they also hadn't been discharging (until 5.30 when the charge period ended). During the day I set a 30min window to charge to see if they would, and the same again, no grid charging, but they also stopped supplying the house.

Looked on the Solaredge monitoring site and saw a new alert:
The system is operating in restricted import mode due to G.100 max import limitations.

To resolve the issue set the G.100 control back to Normal operation mode. You can use SolarEdge Monitoring platform or your SetApp mobile App.
I've e-mailed the installers and asked them to look into it (no reply yet), but just wondering if anyone on here knows what this is, and if it's a trivial non-issue (once amended)?

I was thrown for a second by the G100 mention, but it does say for import (not export), and I assume this is a Solaredge issue, not anything to do with the DNO, after all, how would they be able to 'play' with my system.

Can't remember if this is the first time I've used the 7kW charger and battery charging, but probably is, so maybe that's relevant hitting a higher import figure? Or not? The inverter is 3.68kW, so including household demand (background leccy and A2A unit) perhaps 11kW to 11.5kW. House has an 80A fuse, so ~18kW?
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Not a Solaredge user but yes G100 limitation can apply to both import and export. You have evidently had an import limit configured which you have tripped. Presumably you don't have any limit imposed by the DNO or you would know - it would be in their Connection Offer Letter if you have authorisation for more than 3.68 kW (so you may not have one).

No doubt if you poke about in the settings you will find what has caused it and can set to something more appropriate. Unless it is locked down by the installers in which case you are reliant on them to do it.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels S Devon, 4kW Steca, 3.9 MWh FITs/yr
8 x 405W Longi panels, 250/60 MPPT, 3.3 MWh/yr
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50
10.65 kWh Pylontec Force-L2
zappi 7kW EVCS
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
Mart

Post by Mart »

sharpener wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 2:46 pm Not a Solaredge user but yes G100 limitation can apply to both import and export. You have evidently had an import limit configured which you have tripped. Presumably you don't have any limit imposed by the DNO or you would know - it would be in their Connection Offer Letter if you have authorisation for more than 3.68 kW (so you may not have one).

No doubt if you poke about in the settings you will find what has caused it and can set to something more appropriate. Unless it is locked down by the installers in which case you are reliant on them to do it.
Many thanks, and yes you are right, about everything! :praise:

Installers have now come back, and traced it deep in the settings, but not in the initial set up wizard. They've now upped it to my fuse rating.

And yes, looks like I tripped it, so to speak, when I asked the inverter to charge (import more) when import was already high. In fact, it was also the very first night that I decided to run the second A2A unit, so all in probably pulling 8.5kW and asking for another 3.68kW on top hit the (settings) restriction.

Live and learn!

[Your gold star for super response is in the post.]
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Mart wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 5:19 pm
Installers have now come back, and traced it deep in the settings, but not in the initial set up wizard. They've now upped it to my fuse rating.

And yes, looks like I tripped it, so to speak, when I asked the inverter to charge (import more) when import was already high. In fact, it was also the very first night that I decided to run the second A2A unit, so all in probably pulling 8.5kW and asking for another 3.68kW on top hit the (settings) restriction.

Live and learn!

[Your gold star for super response is in the post.]
Thank you. Glad you got it fixed so quickly. I am hypersensitive about this bc the DNO has let me have all the stuff below on an 80A fuse, and the input to the Victron inverter is via a 50A breaker. So I have to think carefully about what I am planning to do during off-peak hours.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels S Devon, 4kW Steca, 3.9 MWh FITs/yr
8 x 405W Longi panels, 250/60 MPPT, 3.3 MWh/yr
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50
10.65 kWh Pylontec Force-L2
zappi 7kW EVCS
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
John_S

Post by John_S »

Mart wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 12:07 pm
Can I piggyback off this thread rather than start a new one, and ask if anyone has heard of this problem, and if it's nothing major:

So, set my Solaredge batts to charge during cheap rate on Sunday evening. I also had the car set to charge on the 7kW charger, so didn't want the batts to empty themselves 'helping'.
On a related note, it is common to prevent the batteries from helping the EV charger by routing the live cable to the EV charger thru the CT clamp on the on the incoming live. I could not do this as the clamp was not big enough to take the two cables.

I got round this by installing a single pole Henley block for the live cable, between the isolation switch and the main double pole Henley block.
The EV charger live feed now comes off the new block and the CT clamp for the inverter/battery charger now goes on the live cable between the two Henley blocks.

A neat solution which prevents the inverter/charger draining the battery into the EV.