GivEnergy Batteries/Inverter!

Stinsy

Re: GivEnergy Batteries/Inverter!

Post by Stinsy »

Adokforme wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:01 pm Based on your estimate of approx three times PV kWp figure, ours is 8.85, then reckon I should go for a minimum of two(8.2's) to stand a chance of making it thro until evening!
It is up to you! If you are financially constrained then getting the inverter/charger and one battery installed now would prove the concept and allow for adding more battery capacity later. On the other hand, IMO what with your HP setup, you need at least 2x 8.2kWh batteries, 3x would probably be better...

When does your Go Faster tariff end? I'm on 5/15p for 4hrs cheap rate. When mine ends I expect to be offered 5/25p which makes my solar/battery setup even more profitable (even if my bills are higher!).
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:18 pm
It is up to you! If you are financially constrained then getting the inverter/charger and one battery installed now would prove the concept and allow for adding more battery capacity later. On the other hand, IMO what with your HP setup, you need at least 2x 8.2kWh batteries, 3x would probably be better...

When does your Go Faster tariff end? I'm on 5/15p for 4hrs cheap rate. When mine ends I expect to be offered 5/25p which makes my solar/battery setup even more profitable (even if my bills are higher!).
I have to agree that on the coldest of days with hp's running all day three batts would surely cover consumption. They draw around 1 kW total so from 6.30 am, close of cheap tariff) to say 21.30 pm that's around 15 kWh's and just about exhausting two batteries assuming no PV support. Ave Dec daily pv generation circa 7.5 kWh's but perhaps 10 days in the month with precious little to make any significant contribution. Guess I'm still holding out the hope of backing the batts up with the Leaf at some future point so maybe go for two.
Having a vehicle doubling up as a storage battery also makes it a hugely desirable piece of kit. In my eyes at least. :roll:
Our tariff ends in Feb so will have to see what it is replaced with. By coincidence it's about the same time as Graig Fatha gets hooked up to the Grid! :)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Adokforme wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:24 pm Our tariff ends in Feb so will have to see what it is replaced with. By coincidence it's about the same time as Graig Fatha gets hooked up to the Grid! :)
Remember your Ripple rebate is paid in arrears so the rebate might not start until April. On the GivEnergy issue, I have no experience of it myself but I recall someone on the old forum had one and it was OK from what I remember.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

2x 8.5kWh batteries is probably the sensible choice. Sure you’ll be using peak grid power on the darkest mid-winter days, but for the most part you’ll get through on batteries charged by your solar and cheap-rate electric.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Thanks guys, as always your thoughts are most welcome. Better make some space in the garage!
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Two 8.2 batts and one 3.0kW Inverter ordered, delivery due end of Jan. With a bit of luck it will all be installed by mid feb when current deal with Octopus finishes. If we're really lucky Graig Fatha might be hooked up by then too!
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Having been advised very apologetically that there would be a months delay in delivery just look what the postman dropped off this morning!
You're right, it wasn't the postman but hopefully you'll forgive my silliness.
As if that wasn't a surprise enough installation is due Monday, so spent today clearing a space in the garage.
On top of that I went to the dentist this morning and upon completion of treatment got a rebate. Never known that before, at least not from a dentist!