End of the 5p cheap rate!

Stinsy

Re: End of the 5p cheap rate!

Post by Stinsy »

I was paying 17p/kWh while I waited for my smart meter to be sorted. Going to 15p peak, and 5p off-peak felt a bit silly but I wasn’t complaining!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Thanks Joeboy, guess I'll just have to be patient and wait my turn. That figure of 30.78p from Stinsy is double what we're currently paying. That additional 2.5p on the cheap rate almost pales into insignificance in comparison.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Anyone want to work with Octopus?

https://octopus.energy/engineer/
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Adokforme wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:01 pm Thanks Joeboy, guess I'll just have to be patient and wait my turn. That figure of 30.78p from Stinsy is double what we're currently paying. That additional 2.5p on the cheap rate almost pales into insignificance in comparison.
If you want to find the new GO rate in your area, just put your postcode into the following link, https://octopus.energy/go/rates/
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

Dunno whether new joiners would get the same, but my E7 tariff is cheaper for me than Octopus Go, at the present time.

I pay 1 1/2p extra for the standing charge, and 3p/unit more for the hours of the “Go” cheap rate. But my E7 Runs for a further 3 hours and my daytime rate is nearly 5p/unit cheaper. That period between about 06:00h and 07:30h is very useful to me. That almost 20p/unit price difference, during that period, is a relatively huge benefit to me in my area.

I would definitely need to be running an EV if I was to change at the moment. Reduced mileage, at the moment, might not even be be enough to make much of a difference, either.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Found this today via a FB newsfeed.
https://www.edfenergy.com/electric-cars/tariffs
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:01 am Found this today via a FB newsfeed.
[ERROR - The below is incorrect]
They charge you full whack then give you a rebate for what went in the car during those hours. No running you r washer on the cheap rate, no charging storage heaters on the cheap rate, no charging batteries on the cheap rate.

Bit of a scam really.

Used to see that tariff promoted on Instagram quite a lot. They always got ripped apart in the comments.
[/ERROR]

(I got confused between EDF and E-ON)
Last edited by Stinsy on Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:19 am
They charge you full whack then give you a rebate for what went in the car during those hours. No running you r washer on the cheap rate, no charging storage heaters on the cheap rate, no charging batteries on the cheap rate.

Bit of a scam really.

Used to see that tariff promoted on Instagram quite a lot. They always got ripped apart in the comments.
Are you sure that is the case ?, I don't believe there is a legal way of charging except from your smart meter half hour readings.

This is the tariff sheet, eye watering standing charges and gas prices though which I think you have to have as its a dual fuel tariff. So if your Electric ONLY, you probably can't have it.

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:46 am
Stinsy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:19 am

Bit of a scam really.

Are you sure that is the case ?, I don't believe there is a legal way of charging except from your smart meter half hour readings.

This is the tariff sheet, eye watering standing charges and gas prices though which I think you have to have as its a dual fuel tariff. So if your Electric ONLY, you probably can't have it.

Hmm. Maybe they've taken the "feedback" onboard and moved to a real ToU tariff rather than flat with rebate. Interesting. The market definitely needed some competition in this space!

Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Ha ha!

I think I owe EDF an apology! It was E-ON who were promoting an EV charging tariff with super-high "peak" prices that ran 24/7 to which they applied a credit to make the electricity you put in your BEV during the cheap period 4p/kWh.

Here it is: https://www.eonnext.com/tariffs/next-drive

This tariff by EDF actually represents a genuine attempt to compete with Octopus. No mention of charging batteries or running your dishwasher during the cheap period as a side-benefit though. I wonder if they have a "fair use" policy?