Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Stinsy

Re: Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Post by Stinsy »

You could use dehumidifier or heat pump condensate for ironing…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Is that deliberately designed as a distiller/water generator which takes it only from the air? (It looks as though it has a special delivery spout.) If so, does it have something to preserve the cleanliness of the water, i.e. is it really a special purpose dehumidifier?
The ones which look like it for sale on the internet start with a cold-water fill and have carbon filters in...
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:06 am You could use dehumidifier or heat pump condensate for ironing…
1) I have no use for a dehumidifier.

2) I have no heatpump condensate.

3) The distiller is only used in excess solar times.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

nowty wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:10 am
Stinsy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:06 am You could use dehumidifier or heat pump condensate for ironing…
1) I have no use for a dehumidifier.
2) I have no heatpump condensate.
3) The distiller is only used in excess solar times.
Fair enough: if you have surplus pv to dump, why waste energy transporting distilled water from somewhere else - where it was probably not made using renewable energy anyway?

A
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
nowty

Post by nowty »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:56 am Is that deliberately designed as a distiller/water generator which takes it only from the air? (It looks as though it has a special delivery spout.) If so, does it have something to preserve the cleanliness of the water, i.e. is it really a special purpose dehumidifier?
The ones which look like it for sale on the internet start with a cold-water fill and have carbon filters in...
A
You fill it with tap water, although carbon filters are available, I find them unnecessary. We don't need it pure enough to drink, only to stop the stream iron scaling up.

It uses 700w and about 1 kWh per litre of water.

The cheapest deionised water I can buy is about 50p per litre. I make about 200 litres a year for SWMBO and my daughter who also lives in a hard water area. And it has a better payback than solar / batteries / ripple windfarm, paid me back in under a year.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Post removed
Last edited by Moxi on Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Moxi wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:01 pm Sounds as though you could start up a cottage industry with that Nowty ?

Moxi
I did think about that a year or two back, but its the delivery costs (to customers) which make it practically unviable.

But its another tool in the box to reduce curtailment due to my export limit.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

nowty wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:00 pm
Moxi wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:01 pm Sounds as though you could start up a cottage industry with that Nowty ?

Moxi
I did think about that a year or two back, but its the delivery costs (to customers) which make it practically unviable.

But its another tool in the box to reduce curtailment due to my export limit.
Nothing to stop you putting the word about that you have it available at a good price for anyone who happens to be passing...
Don't forget the depreciation on your gadget!
A
nowty

Post by nowty »

Back in October last year I made a pledge on my gas use.
nowty wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:12 pm Back in 2010 Nowty Towers consumed 28,000 kWh of gas, that was a crazy cold winter so was over the average and before I had solar. :o

Since then the lowest its been in any 12 month consecutive period was 4,009 kWh from 1st Dec 2019 to 30th Nov 2020. :)

This winter, with the help of increased gas cost, my octopus Intelligent leccy tariff, and the soon to be spinning ripple wind turbine I intend to smash that record, I am giving myself a target of not to exceed 2,000 kWh of domestic gas from 1st May 2021 to 30th April 2022. :D

Since 1st May 2021 I have only used 126 kWh of gas, just for cooking as gas boiler for heating and hot water was switched off 30th April 2021, ok that was the summer months but now it gets harder. The only caveat I will add is if my heatpump has a terminal breakdown.
Well today is 12 months since the gas boiler was switched off, it has only been switched on 3 times since then in a whole year,

1) When I serviced the boiler.
2) When the gas man fitted a gas smart meter and the air had to be purged out of the gas pipes and I forgot he left it on so it ran for another half a day. :cry:
3) When last month I switched to a more expensive Octopus Intelligence tariff and was still on a cheap gas tariff and it was cold so I turned it on. But then guilt had me turn it back off a few hours later. :oops:

The numbers are now in and I really thought the target was going to be tough as I did not think my heatpump would alone get me through the winter. Well I was right, but managed to avoid the gas by boosting my storage heaters on the cheap rate and even heating bricks in my electric oven. :lol:
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=17&t=638

Drum roll,
The Nowty Towers past 12 month gas consumption was 371 kWh. :mrgreen:

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:12 am Back in October last year I made a pledge on my gas use.
nowty wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:12 pm Back in 2010 Nowty Towers consumed 28,000 kWh of gas, that was a crazy cold winter so was over the average and before I had solar. :o

Since then the lowest its been in any 12 month consecutive period was 4,009 kWh from 1st Dec 2019 to 30th Nov 2020. :)

This winter, with the help of increased gas cost, my octopus Intelligent leccy tariff, and the soon to be spinning ripple wind turbine I intend to smash that record, I am giving myself a target of not to exceed 2,000 kWh of domestic gas from 1st May 2021 to 30th April 2022. :D

Since 1st May 2021 I have only used 126 kWh of gas, just for cooking as gas boiler for heating and hot water was switched off 30th April 2021, ok that was the summer months but now it gets harder. The only caveat I will add is if my heatpump has a terminal breakdown.
Well today is 12 months since the gas boiler was switched off, it has only been switched on 3 times since then in a whole year,

1) When I serviced the boiler.
2) When the gas man fitted a gas smart meter and the air had to be purged out of the gas pipes and I forgot he left it on so it ran for another half a day. :cry:
3) When last month I switched to a more expensive Octopus Intelligence tariff and was still on a cheap gas tariff and it was cold so I turned it on. But then guilt had me turn it back off a few hours later. :oops:

The numbers are now in and I really thought the target was going to be tough as I did not think my heatpump would alone get me through the winter. Well I was right, but managed to avoid the gas by boosting my storage heaters on the cheap rate and even heating bricks in my electric oven. :lol:
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... f=17&t=638

Drum roll,
The Nowty Towers past 12 month gas consumption was 371 kWh. :mrgreen:

That is an excellent achievement, next step sub 100kWh pa? :) I am on my one year run now, hoping for sub 5MWh down from 32MWh at its worst. We have used 66.71kWh gas since 1st March and i know for sure that two runs of the HWT are in there due to my own mistake and the wrath of swmbo, :)

Again, well done, amazing what can be gained with focus and alt strategy 👏 👏 👏.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees