How much can I practically/legally DIY, and other newb questions

Oldgreybeard

Re: How much can I practically/legally DIY, and other newb questions

Post by Oldgreybeard »

sharpener wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:54 pm
Oldgreybeard wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:18 pm The 16A rating will apply if just using a single pole of the switch, the series connection just allows the switch to handle the full 450V it's rated at.
Because there is no zero-crossing as with AC it is much more difficult to extinguish the arc at the contacts when breaking a DC circuit.

IIRC these isolators were originally designed for AC and they have had to use 4 contacts in series to reliably disconnect 450V DC. (The Kraus + Naimer ones are very similar, for the same reason.)

Hence it is good practice to switch off the inverter at the AC isolator first, then when you switch the DC isolator off there is no DC flowing so the contacts don't get eroded.
Indeed, hence the ~225V DC rating per contact for DC, 450V DC rating for two contacts in series. The current rating, though, is set by the current carrying capacity of the contacts when closed, so whether just one or two in series it remains at 16A.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:04 pm
Indeed, hence the ~225V DC rating per contact for DC, 450V DC rating for two contacts in series.
It's worse than that. It needs a total of 4 contacts in series (3+1 or 2+2 as per the wiring diagram), so the individual contact gaps can only safely handle 112.5V.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels S Devon, 4kW Steca, 3.9 MWh FITs/yr
8 x 405W Longi panels, 250/60 MPPT, 3.3 MWh/yr
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50
10.65 kWh Pylontec Force-L2
zappi 7kW EVCS
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:47 am

Standard way to isolate DC from panels is one of these: https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/product ... lator-ip65
I've bought one of these DC isolators, waiting for other stuff to arrive. Have actually ordered panels! Exciting times :)

But a question about the isolator, if anyone can help - it's a 4 pole switch, but comes with 2 link wires that effectively make it 2 banks of 2 switches wired in series. The diagram from the instruction book below shows what I mean (bottom left, "provided pre-wired linking").

[/quote]

By coincidence the electricians who came yesterday use both CEF and specifically the Scame isolators. But they sucked their teeth when confronted by a Kraus + Naimer one - even though the series contact arrangement is virtually identical - because I had positioned it for bottom entry, top exit and there isn't a specific drawing for that!
16 x 230W Upsolar panels S Devon, 4kW Steca, 3.9 MWh FITs/yr
8 x 405W Longi panels, 250/60 MPPT, 3.3 MWh/yr
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50
10.65 kWh Pylontec Force-L2
zappi 7kW EVCS
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
Vaillant 12kW HP
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

sharpener wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:44 pm By coincidence the electricians who came yesterday use both CEF and specifically the Scame isolators. But they sucked their teeth when confronted by a Kraus + Naimer one - even though the series contact arrangement is virtually identical - because I had positioned it for bottom entry, top exit and there isn't a specific drawing for that!
Tell him to turn the diagram upside down :D

As this thread is sort of "my journey into solar power", here's a picture of my panels, which arrived yesterday. They're not getting much sun in this position though ...

Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

dangermouse wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:19 pm
sharpener wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:44 pm By coincidence the electricians who came yesterday use both CEF and specifically the Scame isolators. But they sucked their teeth when confronted by a Kraus + Naimer one - even though the series contact arrangement is virtually identical - because I had positioned it for bottom entry, top exit and there isn't a specific drawing for that!
Tell him to turn the diagram upside down :D

As this thread is sort of "my journey into solar power", here's a picture of my panels, which arrived yesterday. They're not getting much sun in this position though ...

Congratulations, that is a huge step. 👏 DId you have enough sun to voltage test them Pre store?
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

I'm waiting for cable and connectors to arrive (DPD are being crap) then I'll lay the panels out on the lawn and connect them up. If the weather stays clear then I should get a few hundred watts at midday, which should be enough to test everything.

Then just waiting for a day when it's not too frosty to go on the roof!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

dangermouse wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:36 pm I'm waiting for cable and connectors to arrive (DPD are being crap) then I'll lay the panels out on the lawn and connect them up. If the weather stays clear then I should get a few hundred watts at midday, which should be enough to test everything.

Now that, sounds like a plan! :twisted:

As a matter of course, I check each panel before beginning. Gives me a datum line to go from before I chuck em about.
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

dangermouse wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:36 pm I'm waiting for cable and connectors to arrive (DPD are being crap) then I'll lay the panels out on the lawn and connect them up. If the weather stays clear then I should get a few hundred watts at midday, which should be enough to test everything.

Thanks, that's given me the same idea! I'm still waiting for the promised help to get my six new panels up on the frame I've put on the wall, but it makes a lot of sense at the moment to just prop them against the wall and wire them up, as at least that way I'll get something.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

Well I never got chance to do a test run of the panels (spent most of Xmas fixing my father's central heating), but now they are on the roof!

8 x Canadian Solar 410W from Bimble. Been a bit grey since they went up, except for yesterday when the sun poked through and I got a whopping 3.7 kWh.

Now I have to resist the temptation to obsessively check the generation every time the sun makes an appearance :)

ducabi

Post by ducabi »

What's your approach to installation? Have you got roofer with scaffolding or just everything diy? Have you checked the roof can support the weight? It's all still ahead of me.