Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Ken

Re: Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Post by Ken »

Well done Nowty.

How cold are you willing to let the house go ?

Could we see your leccy consumption to compare please.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

That gas hob really does need to go! :lol:
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Ken wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:22 am Well done Nowty.

How cold are you willing to let the house go ?

Could we see your leccy consumption to compare please.
I grew up in a largely unheated house in the north of England. I do not have happy memories (comfort wise) of that and SWMBO is from a hotter climate so the house thermostat is set to a constant 22 degrees and its not going to be lowered.

The following are all the graphs I keep from my monthly data I have collected for the past decade or so for my energy import. They are not adjusted for any export or for any ripple WT1 offsetting. Also bear in mind that we now have two EVs, one for over two years and another for less than 1 year.

I first tried to eliminate all my leccy import with solar and batteries.

Then when I realised that gas was the bad boy, I had to massively increase my leccy import but only with Off Peak leccy.

Solar and batteries hardly dented the gas use, mainly because of heating demand, its the heatpump that made the difference, thereafter the storage heaters helped eliminate it.

Even without ripple WT2, my current Export and WT1 generation would offset ALL my current import over the period of a year.
(But not necessarily at the same time.)

16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

I was out in London today, everything filled up so my system did a bit of export for a change. :roll:

The big consumption peak at 8am was me pushing the last 5% into the EV before setting off. :twisted:

As you can see the G100 export limitation works to keep my export down to 3.68kW whatever happens. :mrgreen:

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
nowty

Post by nowty »

Rainy and grey here, but surprisingly still solar positive for now. We have two poor days to get through, batteries currently at around 70% using my spreadsheet ready reckoner which means around a useable 40kWh left. Letting the EVs run down a bit, we should make it through to better conditions later in the week.

Its fun this time of year tactically using reservoirs of energy to avoid the inevitable import which will come on late Sept / early Oct. But then there is the Virtual Battery to fall back on. The new A2A heatpumps are really helping, burning half as much as the GSHP with similar output for the morning heat up. :mrgreen:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:24 am Rainy and grey here, but surprisingly still solar positive for now. We have two poor days to get through, batteries currently at around 70% using my spreadsheet ready reckoner which means around a useable 40kWh left. Letting the EVs run down a bit, we should make it through to better conditions later in the week.

Its fun this time of year tactically using reservoirs of energy to avoid the inevitable import which will come on late Sept / early Oct. But then there is the Virtual Battery to fall back on. The new A2A heatpumps are really helping, burning half as much as the GSHP with similar output for the morning heat up. :mrgreen:
We are there now, yet not by much, a quid a day maybe IF we have to top up EV, if not, about 30p. :D :lol: 8-)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Post removed
Last edited by Moxi on Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I messed up yesterday. Ran out of battery before 4pm. It was gloomy all day. The batteries were set to charge to 50% but could have done with 100%!

Today the batteries only got down to 44% and went up to 88%, they're currently at 86% and I predict they'll get to 0230 with something like 50% and therefore need little or no charging. Next few days forecast to be bright so 50% should work.

I resist messing with how much the batteries charge on a daily basis. However since switching from the 2030-0030 to the 0230-0630 cheap period I've found it much harder to find a happy spot. I export a lot more than I used to and import a lot more too. In winter it'll be easier. Charge to 100% every day!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I found something today on the smart meter remote station. There is a 'now' function monitor for power drawing from the grid at that point in time. It's a very fast response, much quicker than the goodwe hybrid inverter which I've been using up to this point. Let's me fine tune the power into EV so I can give it all from the PV and batteries on a short window if heading out. Handy. :D

A photo for clarity,

19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

To compare with OLB's energy use on his thread, https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 413#p17413

Nowty Towers is a late 1970's detached house with huge windows, no insulation in cavity and we have 2 x EVs which are almost always charged from home. Main living area (lounge / kitchen) is kept typically 23 to 25 degrees all year. Gas boiler was turned off end of April 2021 so it is possible to ditch the gas. Energy bills this year (Octopus Intelligent + Gas Tracker) will be under £900 and that's before Ripple wind turbine rebates or FIT income or bill credits we are all getting.

And for a laugh, this is 2011 before all the RE (green crap), well my first Solar PV system was installed in the autumn of this year. From memory I think my energy bills back then were £2000 per year and that's without any EVs.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3