Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Oldgreybeard

Re: Nowty Towers Vs UK Grid Storage

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Right now, having been running on "free" electricity for a few days, I don't think I'd want to pay for the stuff!

We're really going to struggle to pay the direct debit this month, another whole £12 for all our energy for a month . . .

Joy of joys, our £12/month DD is fixed through to the end of March.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:43 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:36 pm Can't see any pics etc. I am offered at 3.63p per kWh today. Not interested. :ugeek:
Even cheaper than me, mine is 3.79p / kWh.

Blowing like hell in the UK tomorrow, just how low will it go.
We were out for a walk this morning and I dropped the 12p per kWh upcoming electric New Year bombshell and I said I'm still for no FF in the home. At no point judging anyone else but in my life I do enjoy these wee self tests of testicular fortitude when it gets to the sticking place. SWMBO is absolutely onside with slight reservations and says i'm mental. That was really great to hear. Appreciate the honesty and the teamspirit. 8-)
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:35 pm
Joeboy wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:36 pm Can't see any pics etc. I am offered at 3.63p per kWh today. Not interested. :ugeek:

We were out for a walk this morning and I dropped the 12p per kWh upcoming electric New Year bombshell and I said I'm still for no FF in the home. At no point judging anyone else but in my life I do enjoy these wee self tests of testicular fortitude when it gets to the sticking place. SWMBO is absolutely onside with slight reservations and says i'm mental. That was really great to hear. Appreciate the honesty and the teamspirit. 8-)
I was looking at the current market prices, as you can't see photos, I'll type it.
Current leccy wholesale price is around 15p / kWh.
Year ahead price is 47p / kWh.
But front quarter price (when Europe is at highest risk of running out of gas) is 83p / kWh.

https://marketwatch.zenergi.co.uk/price/17-10-2022/
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

nowty wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:13 pm But front quarter price (when Europe is at highest risk of running out of gas) is 83p / kWh.
At that price it's cheaper to run a petrol generator that's running an electric heater . . .
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:17 pm
nowty wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:13 pm But front quarter price (when Europe is at highest risk of running out of gas) is 83p / kWh.
At that price it's cheaper to run a petrol generator that's running an electric heater . . .
... especially if you can route a gas-tight exhaust pipe through somewhere you can use the heat off it!
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
nowty

Post by nowty »

And although Octopus Agile is still not back for signups yet, apparently the Ts and Cs have been updated and the cap will be 100p / kWh when it comes back. :?
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:13 pm

I was looking at the current market prices, as you can't see photos, I'll type it.
But front quarter price (when Europe is at highest risk of running out of gas) is 83p / kWh.

:shock: wow! I wonder what our reset price will be per kWh for WT1 in Spring? I am very glad to have WBS 1 and its thermal store/jacket for the Winter ahead. See if we can develop it further in its use beyond being kettle, cooker, tumble dryer and GCH replacement. 8-)

With son using house for hwt, oven, gaming and a couple of SH's on through the night window we are still managing to run home at no cost and top up the VB a little from WT1 & PV is still meaningful. That in itself is incredible progress over previous years where we'd be pulling 1.5MWh of gas in Oct...
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:05 am

:shock: wow! I wonder what our reset price will be per kWh for WT1 in Spring? I am very glad to have WBS 1 and its thermal store/jacket for the Winter ahead. See if we can develop it further in its use beyond being kettle, cooker, tumble dryer and GCH replacement. 8-)

With son using house for hwt, oven, gaming and a couple of SH's on through the night window we are still managing to run home at no cost and top up the VB a little from WT1 & PV is still meaningful. That in itself is incredible progress over previous years where we'd be pulling 1.5MWh of gas in Oct...
Going on your 40% utilisation for Jan figure Nowty, WT1 will cover me for 20kWh bought per day in Jan rising to 54kWh per day when WT2-9 come online. That's based on a sell price of 9.6p and a buy price of 12p per kWh purely electric. That is going to be incredibly handy to have in the PV polar desert.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

1.91p per kWh gas right now....how is that possible? Was the price driven up by national reserve stocking across all EU states and now they are topped off? I wonder if Putin will see Spring 23?
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:36 am

1.91p per kWh gas right now....how is that possible? Was the price driven up by national reserve stocking across all EU states and now they are topped off?
Was in the news yesterday:
https://www.tankstoragemag.com/2022/10/ ... in-europe/

Multiple ships carrying liquified natural gas (LNG) are collecting off the coast of Spain, unable to secure slots to unload. The situation has prompted grid operators to warn they may have to suspend loading while they deal with the ‘exceptional situation’.

As the region attempts regasification of the LNG cargo, this situation has laid bare the limited capacity of Europe to do so. Plants that can convert the liquid fuel back to gas are currently operating at maximum capacity. If the current issue is not resolved quickly, the ships may need to look outside of Europe to offload their cargo.

There are more than 35 LNG-laden vessels off the coast of Spain, with at least eight of them anchoring off the Bay of Cadiz alone. There are also other LNG vessels anchoring near other European countries, which could mean dozens more are waiting for a slot.

Spain is offering only six slots at its regasification terminals this week, and only has six terminals in total.

In a statement issued late on Monday, Spain’s national gas grid operator, Enagas, said it may have to reject unloads of LNG due to overcapacity at its terminals. It added that the issue could remain until, at least, the first week of November.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!