Anything bad about Octopus? Looking to switch to them.

nowty

Re: Anything bad about Octopus? Looking to switch to them.

Post by nowty »

ALAN/ALAN D wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:31 am I got Good Energy Email yesterday.

Without Government Energy Price Guarantee.

Standing Charge 49.68p
Day rate 70.50p
Night rate 53.03p

Why do prices vary through out the U.K.
Allegedly its the length of the cables. :evil:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

The daily standing charge is what makes me mad!

It should be based on energy used, so domestic big consumers carry the most cost
14Kw Mitsubishi Ecodan ASHP
22 x JA Solar 455W Mono Perc Half Cell Silvers
Solis 8.0Kw 5G Dual MPPT Inverter
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

NikoV6 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:16 pm The daily standing charge is what makes me mad!

It should be based on energy used, so domestic big consumers carry the most cost
Most of the standing charge is now a levy to fund the bailing out and transfer of customers from all the many failed energy suppliers. The government refused to pick up the tab for this (despite it being induced by the government inadequately regulating new suppliers) so instead the levy has been put on the standing charge for everyone, including those who behaved responsibly and refused to have anything to do with the fly-by-night, get-rich-quick, companies that caused so much mayhem when dozens of them went bust last year.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

NikoV6 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:34 pm https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bil ... -boss.html

Octopus putting up a fight!
The whole country should be fighting this, as the idea of failed suppliers being funded by all consumers is one that just would not be tolerated in any other market. Imagine if Waitrose went bust, and the prices in Aldi, Lidl, Tesco etc were all forced to increase because of a levy imposed on them to bail out the costs of Waitrose failing?

If such a thing were to happen we would have mass protests, and rightly so, but because of the stealthy way the government have pushed costs onto the energy standing charge, without being transparently clear that this is a levy to recover the costs of failed suppliers, not enough people know about it (yet) to make a lot of noise about it.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

NikoV6 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:28 pm Been with them for about 4 years, Octopus Go tariff for charging battery and car overnight is great

Customer service is excellent, much badgering of them got my Smart meter installed even though they said I could not get a signal! We can :D

Referral link if you do join - Share £100

https://share.octopus.energy/loyal-cloud-540

MoDs please remove link if not appropriate :D
I've just spent an hour on the phone to EDF (my current supplier) trying to explain that I wanted a smart meter and economy 7. No one seemed to know what I was talking about. One customer service person told me I'd need to switch to a 3 phase supply :o The concept of fitting battery storage and solar panels seemed out of their grasp.

Bollocks to that, it took me about 15 minutes to phone Octopus and speak to someone who knew what they were doing, they sent me a web link to sign up, and there's another 50 quid coming your way Niko :)

So, good review from me, so far.
ducabi

Post by ducabi »

dangermouse wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:29 am Bollocks to that, it took me about 15 minutes to phone Octopus and speak to someone who knew what they were doing, they sent me a web link to sign up, and there's another 50 quid coming your way Niko :)

When you order smart meter from Octopus makes sure you ask for isolator switch as well. They do it for free but it takes more effort to do it separately.
NikoV6

Post by NikoV6 »

dangermouse wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:29 am
NikoV6 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:28 pm Been with them for about 4 years, Octopus Go tariff for charging battery and car overnight is great

Customer service is excellent, much badgering of them got my Smart meter installed even though they said I could not get a signal! We can :D

Referral link if you do join - Share £100

https://share.octopus.energy/loyal-cloud-540

MoDs please remove link if not appropriate :D
I've just spent an hour on the phone to EDF (my current supplier) trying to explain that I wanted a smart meter and economy 7. No one seemed to know what I was talking about. One customer service person told me I'd need to switch to a 3 phase supply :o The concept of fitting battery storage and solar panels seemed out of their grasp.

Bollocks to that, it took me about 15 minutes to phone Octopus and speak to someone who knew what they were doing, they sent me a web link to sign up, and there's another 50 quid coming your way Niko :)

Really appreciate that :D
13.5Kw Tesla Powerwall
Zappi 2 Charger
iBoost
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

ducabi wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:20 pm When you order smart meter from Octopus makes sure you ask for isolator switch as well. They do it for free but it takes more effort to do it separately.
Thanks, not sure if I need an isolator but if it's free I might as well get one! Might be useful in the future if I decide to use the EPS on the inverter.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

dangermouse wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:25 pm
ducabi wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:20 pm When you order smart meter from Octopus makes sure you ask for isolator switch as well. They do it for free but it takes more effort to do it separately.
Thanks, not sure if I need an isolator but if it's free I might as well get one! Might be useful in the future if I decide to use the EPS on the inverter.
Main advantage is that the supply can easily be isolated if you need any electrical work doing in future. Some car charger installers are insisting that an isolator is fitted before they will do the job, for example.

You can't use an isolator on the supply as part of an EPS changeover, as it requires manual operation and there's always the possibility of finger trouble leading to the grid being back fed during a power cut.