Intelligent Octopus

Stinsy

Re: Intelligent Octopus

Post by Stinsy »

NikoV6 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:31 am Interesting, do you set the charge rate in the car?

Other issue I think we have is an evening charge slot will empty our Powerwall as well as drawing from the grid? I know I can change the discharge limit higher on the battery but sometimes forget. I don't think there is a simple way around this
This is the challenge! I only have a small battery. It is programmed not to discharge during the standard cheap hours so charging the car then isn’t a problem. If we have a very grey day and/or I use more power than usual and my battery will therefore be empty before the cheap slot starts I turn on the charger and hope Octopus gives me additional cheap slots to cover the period between the battery running out and the fixed cheap slot starting.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Yuff

Re: Intelligent Octopus

Post by Yuff »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:09 am
NikoV6 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:31 am Interesting, do you set the charge rate in the car?

Other issue I think we have is an evening charge slot will empty our Powerwall as well as drawing from the grid? I know I can change the discharge limit higher on the battery but sometimes forget. I don't think there is a simple way around this
This is the challenge! I only have a small battery. It is programmed not to discharge during the standard cheap hours so charging the car then isn’t a problem. If we have a very grey day and/or I use more power than usual and my battery will therefore be empty before the cheap slot starts I turn on the charger and hope Octopus gives me additional cheap slots to cover the period between the battery running out and the fixed cheap slot starting.
As long as your car battery is low you should get schedules when you want them.
The higher SoC in the car the less likely you will get a schedule outside the regular off peak times.
I have a Tesla M3 linked and it works very well with IO in my experience, apart from a battery drain when plugged in but that’s balanced out by plenty of extra schedules during the day.
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 3 170 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV 0.547 kW Whitelaw Brae